Author Topic: black power home gun  (Read 3443 times)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Re: black power home gun
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2009, 12:34:50 AM »
Why would you want to use a BP revolver over a modern handgun? Do you have a felony conviction and cannot legally possess a modern gun?

I can think of at least two reasons.  First, if he is at least eighteen years old, but not yet twenty-one years old, he can legally own a BP revolver, but not a modern handgun.  Secondly, if he already owns a BP revolver, but doesn't own a modern handgun.  Two very good reasons right there.

Well argued points Casull. However (and with all due respect), I responded to the OP's post asking for answers from him ;)

Thanks much for your insight though...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2009, 03:25:18 AM »
Jamal,
Don't you have a blowgun with poison darts you can use? It would definitely be quieter...you could even tape your Surefire light to it...wow! What a combo...blind 'em with the light and put one in the jugular...You could use it to hunt gators and 50lb swamp rats for practice. ;)
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2009, 04:09:51 AM »
HEY    don't  knock  blow guns

i  head  shoot  doves  with  mine
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2009, 09:46:07 AM »
We'll see what the next four years brings...we all may want to become proficient with a blowgun
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2009, 10:35:35 AM »
Why would you want to use a BP revolver over a modern handgun? Do you have a felony conviction and cannot legally possess a modern gun?

I can think of at least two reasons.  First, if he is at least eighteen years old, but not yet twenty-one years old, he can legally own a BP revolver, but not a modern handgun.  Secondly, if he already owns a BP revolver, but doesn't own a modern handgun.  Two very good reasons right there.

Yes, i can own guns(i had some in the past), yes i am 21 i was born in 11/1987 so i just turn 21. I reason at this time i don't own a "modern handgun" is because i was unsure if they could find out when i brought one. I reason i live there is because man dad used to do government work ( they already have checked into my background when he got his Security clearing and they check everyone in your famliy.) and he got cancer and his lost his job at raytheon and we been haveing some hard times.

and before you ask raytheon make surveillance and reconnaissance gear for the government, as lest that what i was told when i asked.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2009, 11:18:37 AM »
hang  in  there
better  days  are  ahead  if  you  want  them

just  don't  let a bad  environment  hold  you back
i  hope your  housing  is  better than  the place down the road  from  me
with  its  ''gun  with a bar and circle  on  it''  sign  out front saying '' gun  free  zone''

i  carry a 357 when  i  jog and  make it a point to cut  through  that  parking  lot     
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2009, 03:20:13 PM »
J-dog, Raytheon is into far more than that. We did contract work with them back in the 80's.
I hope your father does well .
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2009, 05:55:51 AM »
hang IN there
better Day's are ahead if you want them

just don't let a bad environment hold you back
I hope your housing is better than the place down the road from me
with it's ''Gun with a bar and circle ON IT sign out front saying '' Gun Free zone''

I carry a 357 when I jog and make it a point to cut through that parking Lot    

it not that back there. there were a few people that start trouble and there gone now, but most people  keep on the down low. most of the people that live there are people with jobs and most are Mexican and are nice people. what makes a place bad is low class people. what is real funny is that the cops are right next door(tarpon springs has one building for both fire and police) but people sell drugs right in front of it :D ;D yeah, the cops can really protect you from crime. ::) anyways, thanks for the info and help and as for getting a gun, i will just look in the classifieds or just call one of my old hunting frineds and buy one of theres(they brought most of my guns and hunting stuff).
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2009, 03:30:19 PM »
Cummon you guys!    :-[  Have some faith in your fellow forum members!  SHeeesh!  Next thing you know somebody will say Jamal ain't a poor black kid from the projects!   ::)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline S.S.

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2009, 01:04:50 PM »
Wouldn't really bother me if he was...
Could be doing a whole lot worse things than
typing on a computer on Graybeards. I would wager that
every one here was a kid once. And we all asked kid questions too.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2009, 02:37:10 PM »
even  if  he  is  he will be  better  off  if  he decides  to keep  us as role models

he  is  an  american  i  assume....all  i  need  to know

Offline Oldtimer

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2009, 03:25:05 AM »
In a self-defense situation, you use whatever you have, whether a flame-thrower or a rolled up Good Housekeeping magazine.  But you don't pass up the flamethrower to get a quick subscription to the magazine.  I have used both Colt and Remington pattern black powder revolvers and had them lock up because of caps falling into the gun.  There is a practice called the gunfighter's flip, where you twist your wrist and throw the gun back as you recock the hammer, to throw cap fragments out of the way.  If the BP revolvers fires, it is just as damaging as in the old days, but that "if" is the catch.  A cap can come loose or not fire, a nipple can get blocked, the powder can get wet, or it may have been left out, or the gun can be out of time, due to storing it with the hammer down between the nipples ( note that modern revolvers did not carry that design feature over).  I have also seen revolvers jam from the loading lever falling and tying up the cylinder, and then there is what would happen if you forgot to put the wedge back into a Colt pattern revolver.
I would certainly defend myself with a BP revolver if that is what I had in my hand at the time, but, given a moment to prepare, you can bet it would be a modern cartridge arm. 

Offline VARMONTER

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2009, 09:17:03 PM »
After the 3rd shot you won't be able to see the BG from all the smoke.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2009, 04:11:52 AM »
i  was  thinking  that  too

the black powder gun can lay down a smoke screen to aid in your escape

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2009, 04:49:21 AM »
Have any of you touched off a full house BP load in a revolver near dusk or in the dark?   Mine shoots a fireball out about 12".   Maybe Jamal can use this as his flamethrower.......
Anyway it sure is an attention getter followed by the cloud of smoke.
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2009, 07:04:13 AM »
While it would not be my first choice, I certainly do not feel unarmed with an 1860 Army Colt on my hip. I  used a pair of percussion revolvers in the one and only Cowboy Action Shoot in which I have competed. The smoke would occasionally delay a shot only very slightly, may have cost me a second here and there. But I would much rather be behind that smoke than in front! I feel that in short range shooting, and all civilian self defense is very short range, that blast of smoke and fire would very badly disconcert an opponent. My only reservation would be the occasional hang-up from fired cap fragments which make percussion revolvers less than 100% reliable, "pretty reliable" but not 100%.
 Do by all means get a steel framed revolver. It's not that brass won't work but the brass framed revolvers are built cheap to sell cheap and the more expensive steel frames are just a bit better fit up and finished.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2009, 04:26:20 PM »
I have to disagree on the steel frame for one main reason.
black powder is not as corrosive to brass.. I have had both and
actually prefer the brass.

Offline gstewart44

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2009, 05:09:16 AM »
While it's true the BP is not as corrosive to the brass frame,  the brass is not as strong as the steel frame.  I used to do a lot of Cowboy Shooting with capnball revolvers and I experienced metal fatigue and strain from 3 of my Revolvers (two were .36 and one was .44).   The brass frame will "give" more than the steel frame and over time will actually deform ever so slightly to throw the timing and advance mechanisms out of sync. 

During this same 3 year period none of my other three steel frame pistols developed any problems other than a bit of surface rust.   

Steel frames are stronger and will last longer. 
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2009, 12:00:29 PM »
You must have been shooting colt clones as the remington with the solid frame that my friend had was every bit as tight as my 58 steel frame we just shot lighter loads in it.

Offline gstewart44

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2009, 12:21:48 PM »
Mcwoodduck - you are right - all three of my brass frame revolvers are Colt Replicas.   I have two steel Colt reps and one Remmy steel frame.   

After my experience with the brass/colt replicas I was hesitant to purchase a brass framed Remmy.   Thanks for the info.    I may give  it a try now.    :)

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2009, 02:04:24 PM »
Whatever ya do, Jamal, don't use Gatofeo No. 1 lubricant in that cap and ball revolver.
I don't want some Miami detectives looking over the medical examiner report and muttering ...

"Hmmmmm ... mutton tallow, beeswax and canning paraffin ... Seems like some ol' nasty desert cat in Utah had something to do with this. I think we need to fly up there and question him. After all, it's skiing season and Park City is only about 120 miles from his place. Phil! Order us two airplane tickets to Gatoville, Utah! And book us rooms for a week at the Hilton in Park City! And make it a hot tub room!"

;D
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2009, 07:36:07 AM »
I don't want to know how you get mutton Tallow. 
 :P

Online Casull

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2009, 02:36:33 PM »
"Hmmmmm ... mutton tallow, beeswax and canning paraffin ...

Hmmmm, replace that mutton tallow with pig lard and I think you have a nice terrorist load there.   ;)
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline gstewart44

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2009, 03:21:56 PM »
"Hmmmmm ... mutton tallow, beeswax and canning paraffin ...

Hmmmm, replace that mutton tallow with pig lard and I think you have a nice terrorist load there.   ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I like it!!

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2009, 09:35:29 AM »
i just looked at my 2oz can of OC spray and saw something new. on the paper that came with it's says it 10oc but here it what it say on the can: it made by ultimate defense of spring hill, florida this band is called whoop ass and it say it 17% oc law enforcement derivative. it's 4 million scoville heat units and used nitrogen. have you hear of this band is is there such thing as 17% oc??

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2009, 01:45:57 PM »
The 17% is by volume of the can with the goop and the air to propell the stuff.
What I love is the directions on the cans of spray.  Shake for 3 to 5 seconds.
That's why I got Marie a Kimber two shot do hickey that uses gun powder to shoot the OC gunk.  Wind is also not as much of a factor.