Author Topic: Pros and Cons of joining the NRA  (Read 3394 times)

Offline whackmnstackm1775

• Trade Count: (1)
Pros and Cons of joining the NRA
« on: January 07, 2009, 10:37:42 AM »

I am Marine Veteran in my mid twenties. I love God, guns, and all things American. I am really thinking about joing the NRA, however, the 1000 dollars for memebership seems steep. I want to join while I am young that I can really be " lifetime" memeber.  I have noticed that several members of this forum are lifetime members and I was just wondering if you would share your experiences with the NRA, an in escence help me decided wether or not to join.  Any input will be greatly apprecitated.

Semper Fi

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: Pros and Cons of joining the NRA
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 11:53:36 AM »
I became a Life time member not just to benefit me, but to help the NRA.  I was a yearly member for about 15 years before I decided to become a life member.  I don't regret it on bit.

I don't see any Cons to being a member.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 12:26:16 PM »
The only con I can think of is getting mail constantly asking for money, but that's what needs to be done especially now. If you go to the annual convention they usually have discounted rates on memberships. I was a yearly member for a while before I went to my first convention and upped to life. I was on the easy pay life plan and they counted that towards my membership on top of the discount. Plus I got a cool leather jacket.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 01:00:43 PM »
If your like most gun owners, the NRA will probably do something you don't think is right. But, all things considered, their still the organization with the most clout in DC, when it comes to gun laws. And with the teflon don as our new president coming into office in the next 11 days or so, we'll need as much help fighting anti-gun laws as possible.  Much better than doing nothing at all.  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 01:12:19 PM »
Every week sometime twice a week I got mail from them asking me for money that  was the last straw.   >:(

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 02:35:48 PM »
I've been an annual member ever since I can remember.  Now I won't live long enough to use up the fee of a life membership.  They've got more donations from me this way anyway.  The NRA isn't perfect, but it's the best voice we have.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 02:47:10 PM »
join  the  nra.......period

also  join  one of the  more  aggressive  groups

but join  the  nra,,,,,,,,life  or  just  yearly ....  for  life

sorta  like  registering  repuglican   and   a  3rd  party  too
to   stop  the gun grabbers [democrats]
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 03:09:06 PM »
Thank you for your service whackmnstackm775 and welcome to the GBO group.

Another longtime, annual member paid up for many years.
From time to time the annual group is offered a special rate to become a life member. It seems the last time, the lifetime fee was offered at around $600.
For those who don't want the mailings, the NRA offers ways to opt out and not receive the mailings, sweepstakes, phone calls etc..
Like others here, there are things the NRA has done that don't sit well with me but I find the ugly group (BHO&Co.) being gathered in Washington right now far more disturbing...

Bill

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 03:31:35 PM »
I'm currently an 'Endowment Member' and have to agree with most of whats been said here so far.  No organization is perfect and you can't please everybody all the time. That said the NRA is the strongest ally we have when it comes to defending the 2nd Amendment. 

Attend a local Friends of the NRA event/dinner.  These re a lot of fun.  The usually serve a good meal, action and raffle off a lot of cool stuff including some firearms and you get to meet a bunch of fellow gun owners.  You will also have the opportunity to sign up as a new member posibly at a discounted rate at the event.

You can check the NRA web site for a list of NRA events in your area.   
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline 95Road King

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 04:15:07 PM »
Been a life member since 2000. No regrets!! Our only STRONG voice for our gun rights!!

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 06:10:49 PM »
Every week sometime twice a week I got mail from them asking me for money that  was the last straw.   >:(

All you have to do is ask them to take you off there mailing list. I did and I don't get anything. Not hard to do. Or just throw it in the trash, what's the big deal.  ::)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 09:48:08 PM »
Lifetime memberships should be FREE to Veterans in my opinion!

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 11:53:34 PM »
  Mirage;
  Lifetime membership free to vets; nice idea but too costly...and I say that as a vet. Outside of our salvation, only the govt gives big things away free (and then, most everybody has to pay).
    Not a perfect organization (name one that is)..but it is our best hope to keep our 2nd amendment rights. ...And with the buzz from Washington these days, we need the NRA now, more than ever.
   As with Atlaw, I am an annual member, too old to go "life" but I have probably paid more than a life membership already.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline beerbelly

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 02:45:08 AM »
I also got mad at them over the constant bumming me for more money. I am an old man on SS so I don't have it to give. So , I quit. But I recently rejoined. With the left wing in charge our rights are in trouble.
                                          Old Charlie

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 02:58:15 AM »
mirage1988, I am a Vet also, but I sure don't think it is a good idea to give Vets a free lift time membership. There would be no money left to fight the anti's. Way to costly.

beerbelly, and anyone else that gets upset about the NRA asking for donations, CALL THEM AND HAVE YOUR NAME REMOVED FROM THERE CONTACT LIST. This is a very simple process. 

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 03:13:34 AM »
ms, all you have to do is call them and tell them to quit sending the mailings.

Altlaw, I'm in the same boat as you. They have enough special deals going though where you can be a yearly member for $25 instead of $35. I have taken advantage of that for years.

My personal opinion is the pros outweigh the cons by quite a bit.

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 09:04:54 AM »
You speak of fighting the anti's.
EVERYONE knew this would be the most important election we would see in our lifetimes. The first place to start in the fight against the anti's is in the voting booth. I did not see ONE ad on TV from the NRA. Do they just wait until the fight gets into the courtroom so they can show a win? With an annual income of 140 million I don't think giving veterans a lifetime membership to American Rifleman and a patch is going to break them. I didn't mean to single anyone out or upset anyone this is something I've been wondering about for a while now. I don't want this to turn into a pissing match like some of the other threads have become.

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 09:19:23 AM »
If your like most gun owners, the NRA will probably do something you don't think is right. But, all things considered, their still the organization with the most clout in DC, when it comes to gun laws. And with the teflon don as our new president coming into office in the next 11 days or so, we'll need as much help fighting anti-gun laws as possible.  Much better than doing nothing at all.  gypsyman

Well said.............
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline JonnyC

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 09:33:23 AM »
Not only does the constant handout bother me-I never got the gift promised when I renewed. The asking me to renew one month after I did renew was the final straw for me.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Offline JonnyC

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 09:35:30 AM »
join  the  nra.......period

also  join  one of the  more  aggressive  groups

but join  the  nra,,,,,,,,life  or  just  yearly ....  for  life

sorta  like  registering  repuglican   and   a  3rd  party  too
to   stop  the gun grabbers [democrats]

REPUGLICAN- ARE THESE DOG LOVERS?

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 09:43:31 AM »
in the fight to insure we can keep our guns and our children can get guns the NRA is the 800 lb gorilla and its on our side !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline JBlk

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 09:59:22 AM »
I have been a five year  member for many years and I think that they represent the firearm owners of this country very well.I also frequently receive letters asking me to join the NRA.When they don't even know who their members are it makes me wonder just how efficient they really are.I continuously receive letters asking me to donate more money, and I have some real problems with that procedure.Back in the seventies they had a recruitment drive that asked members to sponsor five new prospects. The people who did manage to Spenser the prospects were then entered into a drawing for a sterling silver belt buckle with the NRA initials on it.The rules said that the Spenser and the name of the prospect on that card would each receive the buckle as a prize.Well, I won and received a belt buckle, but it sure wasn't the type described (pot metal) as the prize and the person sponsored never received anything.The price that they ask for a life membership is way out of line, somebody my age, and I seriously doubt that I will renew my membership when it comes due.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 10:45:53 AM »
If it ever comes a time when I can afford it I will up my membership again to benefactor. Then if possible up it again to endowment. They need all the help we can give them.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 09:07:10 PM »
Well the 800 pound gorilla ran away from the scrawny little halfrican.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 01:51:56 AM »
how so ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Will_C

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 05:28:45 AM »
I don't agree with everything the NRA does, but if you own a gun, and you are not a member, you're foolish! As far as the cost, $35.00 will buy you 1 box of centerfire rifle ammo, or 1 box of .357 magnum, or a year in the NRA.
Will

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2009, 02:17:50 AM »
Whackmnstackm,
First - THANK YOU for your service Sir!
I first joined the NRA in 1962 and have never regretted it.  Being an annual member isn't that expensive, a good alternative to life membership, if that fits your budget.
Yes, they will ask for more money.  They need to, that's how they are funded.  It's a simple thing to just throw the envelope in the trash when you receive it and don't want to send anything more than your dues.  EVERY organization that I belong to asks for more money.   Heck, in my church I am one of the people who ask others to give more too.  If you don't want to contribute more, ignore it.  I certainly can't respond to every plea I get for more money either.  Being a member is enough anyway.  We need you.  (You won't receive pleas twice a week from the NRA as was indicated above either.  That is just hogwash.)

If there was ever, ever a time when it was more critical to have a strong NRA, I can't recall it.  I'm glad I'm a member.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline weasel

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2009, 03:42:58 AM »
Not only join yourself, sign your wife & kids up too, then you get another magazine! Signed my wife up, she doesn't shoot, but she's a strong supporter of the 2nd. Numbers are what politicians look at.

Offline Brett

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2009, 08:42:58 AM »
Lifetime memberships should be FREE to Veterans in my opinion!

If you are a member why not consider 'sponsoring' a veteran by giving them a gift of a one year membership or more if you can?  I signed up my Father-in-law, an Army Vet., some years ago and he has kept his membership going.   

Offline Brett

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2009, 08:54:17 AM »
You speak of fighting the anti's.
EVERYONE knew this would be the most important election we would see in our lifetimes. The first place to start in the fight against the anti's is in the voting booth. I did not see ONE ad on TV from the NRA. Do they just wait until the fight gets into the courtroom so they can show a win? With an annual income of 140 million I don't think giving veterans a lifetime membership to American Rifleman and a patch is going to break them. I didn't mean to single anyone out or upset anyone this is something I've been wondering about for a while now. I don't want this to turn into a pissing match like some of the other threads have become.

I believe that the NRA's hands were tied by recent laws forbidding them to stump for or against any polititian or political party in the national media.   Besides the national media is owned by the leftist,  do you think that they would give the NRA any time at any price?

Re: the 140 million annual income.  Do you realize how costly it is to take just one legal battle to court?  The NRA is fighting dozens upon dozens of them, both on a national level and local level throughout the year.