Author Topic: Taurus PT-745 Compact Millennium Pro  (Read 1347 times)

Offline CyberDean

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Taurus PT-745 Compact Millennium Pro
« on: January 07, 2009, 02:11:04 PM »
Ok ladies and gents, visited my local gun shop today looking for a auto pistol that would fit my small hands.  The only one they had that I could reach the trigger correctly was a Taurus PT-745 compact Millennium Pro, 45 ACP.  It has a 3.5 inch barrel, was hoping to find one with a longer barrel, maybe 5 inches.  Magazine holds 6 rounds, single stack.  They are getting more pistols in this coming Tuesday.  Looking for others to compare to.

Anyone familiar with this Taurus pistol? Opinions, suggestions, etc.

Any other pistol with a frame the same size, 1911, Glock, Springfield, S&W?

Thanks, Dean
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."  Mt 6:33

Dean, West Virginia, USAF, Retired, NRA Life Member, member HCA, USCCA

S&W M&P 45 & M&P Compact 40S&W, H&R Handi Rifle SB2 45-70 (2),  Marlin 1895G 45-70 GOVT,  Winchester 70 25 WSSM,  Santa FE #12014 Delux Mauser MK1 30-06

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Taurus PT-745 Compact Millennium Pro
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 03:16:59 PM »
Hi Dean

Sorry, but I am not a fan, at all, of Taurus products, and I have owned or used quite a few.  Substandard quality, and terrible customer service.  I know any manufactured item is subject to failure, and maybe I just got with their customer service people on a bad day, but like 5 or 6 different weapons, over a period of years?  I wouldn't say this about any other manufacturer, and I have owned a lot of guns over the years,  but Taurus has, in my view, earned a per menant "junk" rating. 

Anyway, grip feel and "pointability" is highly subjective, and varies from shooter to shooter.  The best way to determine what pistol fits you is to go to a well stocked gun shop, and handle as many as you can that are in the caliber / configuration you are interested in.  What feels good in your hand?  What seems to point naturally?  Which model allows easy trigger finger reach, at least to the first joint?, Which guns sights just seem to be right on when you raise the weapon up into a firing position?  Most gun shops will work with you.  Those that just want a quick sales, and have an attitude about you "playing" with their inventory? - Go spend your money somewere else.

Just about all the major manufacturers offer quality products.  Its really a matter of features and how the pistol feels in your hand.  Glocks, 1911's, Browning High Powers, Ruger, SIG's, Springfield Armory, etc... all make quality designs.  Some, like the Walther / S&W offer replaceable backstraps that alter the feel and fit of the weapon to your hand.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline CyberDean

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 03:29:48 PM »
Hi Larry,

Thanks for your comments, I agree with most of what you said (I am not personally knowledgeable on Taurus, so I can not agree or disagree there), but I respect your opinion.  I have contacted the FFL I deal with in my area and will be going to the next gun show with him in a couple of weeks.  The first thing I am looking for is fit in my hand with the trigger finger comfortable and properly placed on the trigger.  After that, handling, sighting, etc.  If my trigger finger can not reach the handgun trigger properly, there is no reason for me to get excited over the handgun.

Dean
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."  Mt 6:33

S&W M&P 45 & M&P Compact 40S&W, H&R Handi Rifle SB2 45-70 (2),  Marlin 1895G 45-70 GOVT,  Winchester 70 25 WSSM,  Santa FE #12014 Delux Mauser MK1 30-06

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 12:58:22 AM »
Did you get a chance too look at the Kahr line ?
Is your hand so small, and that is not a dig, we all have our limitations, that it feels uncomfortable or is it that the finger just won't reach?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline CyberDean

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 07:48:55 AM »
Evan a full size pistol feels good in my hand, it is the length of my trigger finger not being able to correctly reach the trigger.  The end of my trigger finger will press on the right side of the trigger, moving the pistol to the left.  The trigger finger will, as it pulls the trigger, slide onto the trigger towards the middle of the end pad of my finger by the time it fires.  That is not good, unable to keep the pistol aligned on target properly.  I just have to keep looking for a pistol where my finger will reach the trigger properly on initial contact.

Thanks, maybe I had not been as clear as I should have been earlier.

Offline TexSabre

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 04:29:39 AM »
I have the Taurus PT-145 (Gen 1, double stack mag) and I like it.  I have read about all the problems but mine has always gone bang when it should and I hit the target at close ranges.

I had a Kahr in .40cal before the PT-145 and I must say the Kahr is the better gun.  I made the decision a long time ago to go with .45 and at the time Kahr didn’t make a .45, or that is what I would have today.

Bill aka TexSabre

Offline CyberDean

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 05:31:20 PM »
Things are looking up today.  Located another gun shop, out of state, but they had totally different manufacture's weapons in the shop.  I explained my situation to the guy behind the counter and that I was there looking for a Kahr 45 cal pistol.  They had one, he pulled it and checked the chamber, I slid it into my hand and my trigger finger right onto the trigger, it felt so good. I glanced around in the glass counter, and found Springfield Armory XD pistols, which is more of what I was originally looking for.  Asked to see the 9mm pistol, it felt even better.  Let me see the XD 40 S&W, felt even better.  Let me see the XD 45 cal, trigger finger hit the trigger great, but it felt big in my hand.  He said try this one, a Smith and Wesson, MP, 45 cal with the medium grip, it felt good and knowing with the small grip it would be perfect.  So, now I have another problem, which one, S&W MP 45 cal or the Springfield XD 40 cal.  But I do need a backup, I'll just get them both, not today but soon.  Need to work out this situation with my FFL seeing that we are only an hour away from the shop in Virginia, and the shop owner will deliver them to my FFL in WV.  The 45 first and then the 40 cal down the road.

Thanks everyone for your opinions and help, I just had to find the right ones.

Dean