Author Topic: rifled slug barrels????  (Read 885 times)

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
rifled slug barrels????
« on: January 09, 2009, 12:21:28 PM »
ive got a chance to pick up a nef 12 ga with 2 barrels, one full choked  field and other is rifles  slug  with sights,  anyone  that owns a rifled  slug fill me in  on performance, he tells me he's on the mark out to 125-135 with sabot slugs  mainly brennke  ?? does this sound up to snuff ?

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
Re: rifled slug barrels????
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 12:29:52 PM »
ive got a chance to pick up a nef 12 ga with 2 barrels, one full choked  field and other is rifles  slug  with sights,  anyone  that owns a rifled  slug fill me in  on performance, he tells me he's on the mark out to 125-135 with sabot slugs  mainly brennke  ?? does this sound up to snuff ?

No or maybe are my two answers. The sights on the Trackers while ok are not condusive to stellar accuracy. Does right on the mark mean a paper plate at 125 yards? My guess is that without a scope or different type of optic, right on the mark could mean a lot of different things. My Tracker II's shoot real well but all are scoped and the right sabot round makes a real difference.

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 03:00:40 PM »
he did say a 12 x12 square ?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 03:20:22 PM »
simple, ask him to go out shooting and watch him shoot the gun. Is it a smoothbore or a rifled barrel wth rifle sights? Either should be capable of keeping them on an 8" paper plate at 100 yards and perhaps a bit more with: 1) the right ammo, and 2) the right guy shooting. Lets see him shoot it and if it works, buy it!!
and old saying, put up or shut up. If he balks at going shooting with you you will know something is amiss and offer him less. Tell him you will pay the full price he is asking if he can do with the gun what he says he can, but be nice when you make that offer, he may take less to not go shooting....<><....:)

I am thinking it is a rifled barrel because sabots usually don't shoot well at all out of smoothbores, and if it is a rifled barrel that accuracy is possible if he can shoot, the gun is up to the task, for sure....
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 04:15:16 PM »
yes it is the full rifled  slug barrel, may ask but right now no one wants to go out to shoot, hahahah snowy an cold as heck out hahahah

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 05:37:05 PM »
heck, it's about 18 here right now and quite breezy but I am getting ready to wrap a towel around me and walk out back through the snow and ice to jump into the hot tub (I will be careful not to spill my drink as I cross the ice on the  deck). If the range was open tomorrow I would go shooting....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 11:28:05 PM »
I am not sure Brennekes are sabot's although they may make one that might be called KO or knock outs but I think all the rest are full bore with a wad screwed to the bottom and they work very well out of smooth bores. The lead is very hard with little expansion even in wood but at 12ga still leaves a big hole and dead deer. They also work pretty good in rifled bbl's with about the same lead build up as copper fouling in rifles I think due to thier hardness. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline epanzella

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 06:07:49 AM »
I have a NEF 12 ga w/rifled bbl. Groups 3 in w/ 3in Win sabot (silver box std vel). The 2 3/4 wins are great @ 50 but keyhole @ 100. My sons use all kinds of fancy new sabots in their guns but are always rezeroing them. My gun has not had a scope adjustment thru 10 years and as many deer.
Ed Panzella

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 03:21:47 PM »
thanks ed   nice to know

Offline c1skout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 02:42:30 PM »
my tracker2 rifled 12ga will shoot Win BRI sabots and rem copper solids into an empty quart oil jug at 100yds from a rest. Plenty good enough for me.

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 05:45:02 PM »
My Tracker II does about 4-5" at 100 yards with plain old lead Remington Sluggers.  I have to say about because after a few shots the target has one BIG hole in it. It also kicks like a ticked off mule and will drop a feral hog right there in its tracks at 80 yards (tested that on the last day of deer season).  I've got 19 ounces of #6 lead shot in the stock and get bruises at the range still. If your man enough and can't use a centerfire where you hunt it will definitely do.  If you're recoil shy its not for you, go with an Ultra Slug gun for the extra weight. 
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!