Author Topic: Just Want to Hunt!!!!  (Read 318 times)

Offline heftylefty

• Trade Count: (0)
Just Want to Hunt!!!!
« on: January 10, 2009, 09:51:08 AM »
Here's my deal. I own a couple of Handi rifles and I have really enjoyed them. I liked them so much that I sold my other stuff ( Had Rugers and Remingtons) ...I am just your average Mississippi Deer hunter.
This year I have had some issues with accuracy using my .308..which shares a receiver with a .243.
In trying to get my barrels to shoot with reasonable accuracy...I have found this websight. There is a wealth of knowledge here and I have appreciated what I have learned. I really just want to deerhunt with my guns and I would be happy to have them group at  1.5 to 2 inches at 100 yards. That is not happening right now. Is it really necessary to have to do all of the things suggested here to make that happen???? Am I wrong in expecting that kind of accuracy from these firearms??? It does not seem right to me that one should have to start sanding,spacing etc... with a new gun just to be able to hunt with it. Have I made a huge mistake???. Thanks to any and all of you that are willing to give me some honest answers. (PS. I have put down some nice deer with these rifles but they are not hitting where I am aiming.)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Just Want to Hunt!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 10:00:50 AM »
I'd start with the Handi Basics 101 sticky, if that doesn't give you some ideas as to what to do, it may need to go back to H&R for repair, their standard is 2" or less 3-shot 100yd groups with factory ammo. Simple things like not pulling the trigger properly or having oil on the latch shelf will throw accuracy out the window.  :o

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
Re: Just Want to Hunt!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 04:32:32 PM »
I'm also just your typical whitetail deer hunter, and the way it sounds is that you may have changed barrels, and expected them to shoot the same without readjusting the sights.

They could shoot where you had them sighted before, and then again they could just be close, but not close enough, or worse they may be finicky and need a little extra effort, which sounds like what you are experiencing, and the main reason mine are now dedicated to their own receivers.

I've got three Handi's I hunt with and have taken game with, and all have dedicated barrels that I no longer change out with other receivers.

This way, once they are sighted in they stay that way, and my latest rifle is my .357 mag. that I just modified to .357 maximum, and my first attempt at handloads, that I used today to take a nice mature doe at 110 yards, that dropped her in her tracks with a shoulder hit from a Hornady 180 grain XTP jacketed bullet.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.