Author Topic: Kirst or R&D Conversion Cylinder??  (Read 2635 times)

Offline Steve E

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Kirst or R&D Conversion Cylinder??
« on: January 10, 2009, 05:08:31 PM »
I have a Pietta 1858 Remy Pistol coming and am interested in getting a 45 Colt conversion cylinder. I guess my choices are between the Kirst and R&D Cylinders.
I like the loading gate of the Kirst but have no actual experience with either. What are the pro's and con's with both of them. Thanks for any info.

Steve E.........
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member

Offline buckskin billy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • thebuckrub.proboards91.com
Re: Kirst or R&D Conversion Cylinder??
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 06:23:34 AM »
 i have no experience with the conversion cylinders, but i thought r and d offered one with a gate on it as well.
 r and d has been building conversion guns longer than any one else. he builds them for tom sellect's western movies and because of r and d gun shop, they are the reason we are able to buy conversion replicas today.
 kirst has a simple conversion kit that looks like any one can do it. the ones i've seen look to be well made.
 r and d has done some gun smithing work for me, and i'm very please with the job that was done.
 i think either one would be good
face your fear, accept your war, it is what it is
thebuckrub.proboards91.com

Offline jls

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 02:54:33 PM »
steve, I have a r+d on my pietta and have had no problems what so ever. I had to remove a small amount of metal in the cylinder window in front of the bolt for clearance( took about 5 mins) but r+d said that might have to be done.other than that, no issues. the kirst kit requires a channel cut in the recoil shield but a dremel tool or die grinder will do it. hope this helps some.
Deceased due to a 3rd stroke on Dec. 12, 2011.

RIP John.

Offline Flint

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 07:52:24 AM »
Kirst offers both versions, last I knew, a gated and ungated version, R&D's is ungated.  Pros and Cons to me vary depending on the gun involved.

For a Remington, loading and unloading is actually faster ungated, by removing the cylinder, separating the backplate and ejecting empties and reloading, reassemble the gun.  To use the gate, like a Colt SAA or Remington 75, you must eject each fired case individually (presuming you have an installed ejector rod) and reload individually.

You can unload/reload a Kirst gated by removing the cylinder as well, if speed is needed.

With the colt cap & ball, removing the cylinder is a much more tedious affair, removing the wedge and drifting off the barrel before removing the cylinder.  On the open frame Colt type, a gated version, made by both Kirst and R&D, is faster and easier, as well as more authentic.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life