Author Topic: Shotgun barrel integrity  (Read 677 times)

Offline JustShootin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • Avid Poster
Shotgun barrel integrity
« on: January 11, 2009, 08:09:08 AM »
I have a chance to buy a 12 ga rifled barrel mounted on a stocked frame along with a 3" mod barrel for $140. The catch is the slug barrel has been drilled and tapped for a non NEF scope mount. They did not drill through to the chamber. There are four screws which leads me to believe they maybe put that many screws with only a couple threads each. Has the integrity been compromised or is this a shootable barrel? Thoughts please.
12ga 18 1/4" barrel = Bedroom gun,    12 w/rifled slug barrel,    .410,    12ga mod barrel only,    .22 Sportster,    .17 HMR Sportster,    .223 Rem,    .22 Hornet,    30/30,    45/70,    .357 Rem Max,    .50 Sidekick.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
Re: Shotgun barrel integrity
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 08:23:58 AM »
The stock and the frame are worth almost what you're paying.  I think both barrels would be safe, and if you don't buy them I will.
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 09:20:14 AM »
4 screws are better than 3, and a bit of epoxy under the base helps as well. The barrel as you describe it is safe and in fact a desired item. A lightweight 12 gauge barrel with a strongly attached scope rail? Outstanding!!! ....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 09:49:40 AM »
Price is good, I would go for it. As stated the frame and one unmolested barrel are worth the asking price.

I have a couple barrels that are drilled and all have been just fine. I do avoid top loads, but all shoot and function just fine.

CW.
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 10:29:28 AM »
Unless you're a big fan of heavy recoil, you probably won't want to be shooting max power loads.  For that price, you can't really go wrong.

If you are really concerned about the integrity of the slug barrel then put a micrometer to it.  Mic the thickness from the inside of the chamber to the bottom of one of the holes and then mic the thickness of the chamber where there is no hole.  I don't know the specs, but if you post those 2 readings on here, I am quite sure someone will be able to tell you if minimum tolerances have been compromised.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 12:19:47 PM »
I would use the item as is. Taking that rail off if loctited is tough at best. Is the rail a #62 Weaver? I've recently used that one on a topper rifle barrel to bring the scope down closer to the barrel.

Offline JustShootin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 02:47:26 PM »
This mount had only two slots and kinda looks like a diving board.
Thanks to those that replied. I thought I would get some direction on this forum.
I did buy it.
Thanks
Grant
12ga 18 1/4" barrel = Bedroom gun,    12 w/rifled slug barrel,    .410,    12ga mod barrel only,    .22 Sportster,    .17 HMR Sportster,    .223 Rem,    .22 Hornet,    30/30,    45/70,    .357 Rem Max,    .50 Sidekick.

Offline vervillev

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 03:46:34 PM »
It is not uncommon for scopes to be affixed in this manner to barrel breaches/recievers. I will tell you that without even seeing the gun ,that the screw sizes that are used to mount a scope rail are very small when compared with the amount of material that remains after such work is done. The main question is the screw depth. What you may want to do is take a pin or dowel of like diameter( a paper clip will suffice)and measure the depth of the screw holes. The breech end is fairly thick on the Pardners and you probably have not come near violating "minimum wall thickness" of your barrell for the scope rail and screws. Shotgun loads, even some high pressure loads don"t come near to rifle loads in comparison and I would feel safe shooting anything out of the barrel you have described. Now, this being a single barrell shotgun will assert itself as to felt recoil with high pressure shot shells and you will feel it toot sweet when you light it off. These are very strong , well made shotguns and if you do a depth check and  you are less than half the thickness of the measured thickness of the breech, you are fine. These are OVERBUILT shotguns which lend to some tweaking, within reason of course. I personally will shoot nothing but low brass loads out of a single barrell as it evokes the "wuss factor " out of me real quick! :o

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 11:21:16 PM »
Sounds like a good deal...I'm glad you bought it...Now, shoot it and let us know how it goes...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense