Author Topic: older fixed power scope  (Read 721 times)

Offline ratherbefishin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
older fixed power scope
« on: January 13, 2009, 04:59:30 AM »
Most of my hunting shots are well within 100 yards-  2 1/2 or 4 x would suit me just  fine-I'm using either my  6.5x55 or 9,3x57 swede and have just acquired two more so am in the market for a couple of scopes .What would you look for in older scopes-ie old Weavers/Bushnells,Redfield?Are they reliable[don't want to be out in the rain  and have the thing fog up on me]Is there any brand/model you WOULDN'T buy?

Offline 300S+W

Re: older fixed power scope
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 05:31:10 AM »
   I've got and sometimes use 4 older Weaver's(redone by WSRS,now closed) and 1 old(Denver)Redfield. I probably won't bother getting any more due to the fact that IF you can get them repaired the cost to do so is,in my opinion,not worth the trouble. Put your money towards a new scope with modern technology.

Offline Ahab

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 06:52:32 AM »
   I've got and sometimes use 4 older Weaver's(redone by WSRS,now closed) and 1 old(Denver)Redfield. I probably won't bother getting any more due to the fact that IF you can get them repaired the cost to do so is,in my opinion,not worth the trouble. Put your money towards a new scope with modern technology.

Ditto. ;)
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 11:14:15 AM »
how often have you actually had a failure in a fixed power scope?

Offline 300S+W

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 01:01:55 PM »
   I've honestly never had a scope,fixed or variable,fail. Out of all the scopes I've got only one had to be repaired. A Vari-X III that the A/O ring got TOO tight on. 3 of my Weavers needed repaired/reconditioned when I got them. I guess if you could find any old Weavers that came with papers saying they had been reconditioned you might take a chance. Are you looking strictly for period correct scopes for older rifles?

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 03:01:03 PM »
I;m not terribly fussy-but these will sit on top of 60 year old Husky's,long action.I missed a nice 3x leopold a while back-that would have done nicely.I still have a 30 year old 4x Bushnell ''scopechief'' that functions just like it always did-no fogging or reticules not staying where they should-of course-I don't adjust them much either.Same goes for my old 4 x Leopold-its stoll bright and clear.Matter of fact-none of my scopes have ever let me down-but you hear so much about not risking buying an older scope it makes you wonder....

Offline 300S+W

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 12:59:25 AM »
         There's just not much out there for us that are wanting fixed power scopes in low power(less than 4X) range. If I were in the market for one I'd look at the 4X Weaver(www.weaveroptics.com). They just put up their new site since being taken over by a company who's more into the outdoors sports than Meade ever was. I've got a newer K2.5 that I'd have bought more of if I knew they were going to be discontinued.

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 09:36:22 AM »
I really don't know why fixed power scopes have gone out of vogue-I think if you did a survey-by far most game is shot within 100 yards-and a lot at less than half that.Sure-there;s open country hunting for antelope and some deer as well as the fun shoots for gophers that a high power scope or a variable would be useful for-but even my variable stays on one setting now-4x.Even the better quality manufacturors ,if they offer a fixed power at all anymore -seem to relegate it to their bottom lines.My old Bushnell ''scopechief'' is still doing its job