Author Topic: RMEF  (Read 805 times)

Offline cowboyhat

• Trade Count: (0)
RMEF
« on: August 23, 2003, 09:42:39 AM »
Just read an article that Utah plans to raise some of it's elk tags to $1000 for non residents and join many other western states who like to make up budget deficts by charging the non-resident large license fees.  The RMEF is supposed to support Elk preservation for hunters.  I have not seen this organization step forward to represent non-resident hunters in the Western states.  Because of this I see no reason to continue to support the organization and continue to see my money build habitat for residents in these Western states.  I have written RMEF and asked them why I should continue to support them, when I do not see them supporting me.  I encourage every RMEF member to write the national office and ask them to step forward and represent all hunters.  If they remain silent, speak with your dollars, or should I say lack of dollars.  RJW
RJ Wesseler

Offline DesertRam

• Avid Poster
RMEF
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2003, 04:18:17 AM »
Well, they may not be the greatest, but nobody can argue that they are one of the best land conservation agencies in the West.  You might not agree with all of their politics, but at least they're doing something to ensure the future of our wildlife.  That's a heckuva lot more than many hunting organizations can say.

Offline Pot-Bellied Stallion

• Avid Poster
RMEF
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2003, 05:09:57 AM »
I dropped my RMEF membership this year for several reasons.  Primary among them was the lack of action in reestablishing the Idaho Clearwater region elk herd that was once one of the largest and best in the nation.  They have put in some jaw time, but no monetary or political influence.  We who have hunted in the Clearwater region for decades have valid ideas for a herd rejuvination program, but they won't listen to us.
Over the last few years I have watched the Bugle go from a very good hunting magazine to one that caters more and more to the tree huggers and PETA folks, much like Outdoor Life did a few years ago.  I know they had a change of administration a couple of years ago, and the new folks just can't seem to get back in the groove.  A really good friend of mine worked for them for many years, but left after the new admins took over.  He said they were business people who knew nothing about elk and wouldn't listen to them who did.  While they spend their time, money and effort in reestablishing ancient habitat back east, they are allowing the bulk of the big elk herds to thin out to nothing.
Thanks for the stump

The older I get, the better I was.

Offline redial

• Contributor
RMEF
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2003, 02:47:43 PM »
It should be stated that RMEF's focus is not on hunting but on land conservation. The shift came quietly over time, but supporting elk so we can hunt them ain't what they're about at all!

I've challenged them on the wolf issue and they don't seem to care. RMEF has too many greenies and wealthy idiots for my taste.

Check closely some of our other "hunting" foundations and you may be shocked at what you find! Fair warning!

Redial

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
RMEF
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2003, 12:28:39 PM »
It seems to be a fairly common thing.  Organizations that started for really good reasons, by people who really put it on the line eventually get taken over by people who are motivated by the clout of the"position". . . more into being a big shot rather than being a servant of a cause.  It may be a poor comparison, but it is the difference between an Osama-bin-laden and a Sadam Hussain.  Both doing some of the same stuff but for entirely different reasons.  NOW DONT GET ME WRONG HERE GUYS,  both of these terrorists should be 6' under.  But I am tired of all the politically correct garbage!  People need to wake up about where some of our previously good organizations have gone.  We have one in Michigan that has gone the politally correct route . . . called the MUCC.

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline TopGun

• Avid Poster
RMEF
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2003, 01:26:06 PM »
I agree that the mission has taken a very quiet turn--funny how money tend to do that.  :o The only thing I keep remembering is as long as we can keep the anti's off our hunting/gun backs, the RMEF will continue to grab and hold land for us. Less face it, choices usually come own to selecting the lesser of two evils. I'm not defending that it's right, just pointing it out. :shock:  I will support RMEF until they turn totally agianst us and hunting Elk. I don't think it will be for a long time.  :eek: Most, if not all the oficers I've ever met have loved Elk hunting.  :grin:  It will be a very sad day for me when I can't drop the 375JDJ hammer on another one!  :(  :D
The first shot is the best shot, it may be your only shot!  Do it with a single-shot.
NRA Life Member 1980
HHI Member #2933
NAHC Life Member
RMEF Member