Author Topic: Help: Need practical advice re stock for pre-64 Win Model 70.  (Read 1375 times)

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
Help: Need practical advice re stock for pre-64 Win Model 70.
« on: January 14, 2009, 06:32:23 AM »

Dear Guys,

In a local gunshop, there is a pre-64 Win., Model 70 lightweight, in .308.  The metal and bore are very very good, but the stock is in ruins. (Can't figure out what happened to it.  Looks like it got soaking wet, and the forestock warped (curled) in a right hand twist, and the finish is gone.)  In short, the stock can't be salvaged.  I think the guy wants about $350 for it.

Problem is, I would want to put a synthetic stock on it. Why is this a problem?   Because although companies like HS Precision and Bell & Carlson make really nice pillar bedded drop-in stocks (no glass bedding required) for lots of rifles, they don't make them for the pre-64 Winchester (which baffles me!)
I've use the drop-ins from HS and B&C before, and have found them to be great with no beddijng (costs were $200 to $300)

So, I would need a good quality pre-fit sythentic stock for the pre-64, and then I would have to pay someone qualified to glass bed it for me. (No thanks, I don't want to do it myself).

Can anyone make any recommendations to me here, about what type of stock to get, and how to get it glass bedded, at a reasonable cost? 

I know that I could get this done at McMillan's, but I think their stocks start at about $500 plus, before you even talk about having them glass bed it.  So, I think that it could run up to $700 or more (gulp).

Thanks, Mannyrock

Offline pagris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Help: Need practical advice re stock for pre-64 Win Model 70.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 07:49:09 AM »
Mannyrock:  I have looked for a synthetic stock for my pre-64 Model 70 short action without success.  B&C makes a Carbelite stock for a long action pre-64, but, unfortunately,that won't help either of us.  Ram-Line makes one that supposedly fits all calibers(?), but it doesn't get very good reviews at midwayusa.com:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=143820
Thanks, Dad, for taking me into the great outdoors.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 08:17:12 AM »
Have you looked on ebay for an original stock.  They are usually there.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline bustedknee

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 04:59:22 PM »
I bought a pre-64 model 70 in 308 that had a synthetic stock on it.

It took me about 17 seconds to remove the stock (I think it was a Ramline) and another 25 seconds to place a phone call to accurate Innovations and order a very nice pillar-bedded, aluminum block, checkered walnut stock.

They are a little spendy but well worth it.  It is something you can proudly hand down to your grandchildren
This 1952 rifle looked like it had never been fired.  My first trip to the range it fired a 3/4 in group.

http://www.accurateinnovations.com/index.html

BTW, Bedding is easy and fun and should make this cheap stock servicable.

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 05:07:22 PM »
Have you thought of  a laminated wood stock?  I assume that you want the synthetic for stability, and the laminated will do just as well, though at a price of being heavier.  Check out what Boyd's has.  I bought their cinnamon laminated stock for my model 88 and am pleased with it.

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline Headache

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 05:16:36 AM »
mannyrock,

Winchester never made a pre-64 short action.  The pre-64 short action calibers where in a long action with large fillers in the rear of the magazine.  If it is a true pre-64, the action screw spacing will be slightly shorter than the post-64 long action and you are limited by the stocks available.  If it turns out to be a post-64 Classic short action then you have many options.

Good luck,
Headache