Author Topic: Swivel Gun  (Read 5896 times)

Offline Samurai5

• Trade Count: (0)
Swivel Gun
« on: January 15, 2009, 04:06:34 PM »
Ok I have a DOM Swivel gun (Golfball, .22 Blank Ignition)  It is AWESOME by the way!  ;D

Dom's site suggests:

Replica 18th Century Swivel Cannon
Barrel Length              : 26.5"
Bore size                     : 1.75"  [golf ball]
Maximum Grains:
Ball charge                   : 400  Gr. Cannon Grade   
Salute Charge              : 750   Gr. Cannon Grade

Questions: 

1)  Would I use the ball charge also for a 1lb lead ball?  (Im assuming the charge listed above reference the ball charge is for a golfball)
2)  What is a suggested charge for lets say a 1lb canister load?
3)  What is everyone's opinion on the best way to create a complete "Cartridge" for the Solid shot round & a Canister round? (Basically attaching the Ball/Canister to the powder charge)  Im looking for simple loading.
          -I have toyed with the following ideas:
                                    -TP Roll  (to hold canister balls/& medium)
                                    -Nitrated Cotton socks (& then attach Solid shot or TP canister roll)
                                    -Coffee filters
4) & Finally is it safe to fire the gun while holding the "Tail" of the swivel gun? (Obviously only if properly secured)

(I plan on making a trailer hitch mounted platform for it to fire from the back of my SUV)

Thanks in advance guys!!!

Who is John Galt?

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Swivel Gun
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 04:56:07 PM »
Read Dom's suggested loads very carefully, those are Maximum loads, Maximum, not starting.  If you read Switliks The More complete Cannoneer his advice is to start ridiculously low.  This is especially true when going to lead projectiles.

I suggest you develop a load for a round ball first.  Once you have a round ball load that gives you the performance you are looking for then work on the the other  advance and specialized loads, by reducing your round ball load and working back up.

Take it one step at a time.

I don't think I would make a platform to fire from a vehicle hitch.  It is to limiting in the direction you can shoot and won't allow you to set according to the terrain.  Think about it.  In order to shoot you have to be behind the gun. That limits you because of clearance to shooting right or left. That also puts the muzzle in close proximity to your rear window.  Probably around shot three or four you rear window is probably is going to break, and your wife or insurance company and both if you have both are going to be real upset with you.

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 06:30:28 PM »
Samurai5,

400 grains is the maximum lead ball load.  You can fire a lighter projectile [golf or cast zinc ball] with a slightly higher grain charge, but it's best to start with a light charge as Double D indicated.
Have fun!     Dom

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 01:43:58 AM »
 On the trailer hitch mount...

I once made a folding bicycle rack that was hinged near the hitch and swung out about 3' from the bumper. I've seen similar for use with BBQ's, beach umbrellas, clay pigeon throwers, etc.

That said, my calculations indicate that your cannon will generate ~1/4 bazillion foot-pounds of recoil with a lead ball and 400 grains of powder.

Might want to look into some kind of a tripod  :)
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 05:53:48 AM »
Tropico did some kind of tripod for his swivel gun. Does anybody remember where that link is?
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 06:51:34 AM »
Don't have a link but I do have this.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 07:47:43 AM »
I  was  interested in  something strong and light weight I could easily assemble with no nuts and bolts to lose. Gravity holds this together pretty good and portability was (is) a must. The legs are just under 1 1/2" O.D.  The leg sleeves welded to the 3/8's plate has a 1 1/2" I.D.  The  sleeves are 6" long and cut and welded at 22 1/2 degrees . The 48" long legs give a 36" triangle spread on the ground . We welded some Chain-Links halved to the plate for tool hangers. We recieved a swivel base and welded pipe from Dominick with our Swivel yoke Dom built for me.  This is the same pipe used on our tripod. This provides no play and is smooth. Re-coil on a 1" bore with a lead projo is less than you may think and is easily controlled with my tripod. I am happy and confident with my tripod. The system easily can move left-right or up-down so one has to be steady ., hitting reasonably sized targets is a trick but fun.  Good luck and please keep us posted on whatever you come up with. I enjoy the learning.

I did have a hook welded to the bottom also. This hook is for a bucket i keep water in. (No ., recoil doesnt soak me)
Also we have used the tripod for cooking over a fire ., as well as melting  lead in a plumbers pot. Always camp with your swivel. 

Offline Samurai5

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 06:49:49 PM »

Um for the Trailer Hitch Mount, the Gun would mount on a similar metal plate & would face to the direct rear of the SUV giving me a 180 degree arc in which to shoot.  (I would open the rear hatch & sit just off to one side of the monkey tail)---I wish i could draw a picture.  This would allow me to simply back the vehicle up to the range & shoot.

At first I was concerned with the over pressure wave but Im thinking the muzzle  is about 3 feet from the rear window of the SUV which would also be lowered into the door...as all other windows minus the rear side windows & front windshield.  Due to Military experience Ive seen .50 & 25mm guns firing near glass windows (about 3-4 feet away) with no adverse effects.........however I have never fired a Black Powder Cannon.

Thanks for all the Suggestions so far!!!!!
Who is John Galt?

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 09:06:28 PM »
InTooDeep you out there? Can you add anything to this?

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 01:58:26 AM »
 This tripod may be of interest to anyone wanting a portable mount for a swivel gun. I don't know if they're still available cheap though; I bought this one about 8 years ago for $70 from Century Arms.

It's an AA mount for a German MG-42. I have it extended full-height here (~6'), but it telescopes and can be lowered to about 1/2 that. Very sturdy all steel construction, and is a ~48" long x ~8" diameter package weighing about 20# when folded up completely. All of the adjustment points lock, and it has a web sling to carry it with. The socket at the top is 5/8" diameter. I made a cradle (shown in pic) to fit it for use as a rifle rest, and a 1/4-20 swivel to fit standard camera/spotting scope bases.

It would be perfect for use with small swivel guns.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 03:45:35 AM »
Inter Ordnance INC has the post war MG42 tripods starting at $100.
http://ioinc.us/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=IO&Category_Code=Tripods+Mounts
I've had one for several years.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline CaptTHighbiter

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 04:09:54 AM »
Samurai,  we have a 1" bore bronze swivel that we had a special yoke made with a 14 " long spike on the end , instead of the usual stubby 4' long spike.
It allows us to mOunt the gun anywhere there is dirt or a hole, so it still will mounT on a pin rail, when we do guest pillaging at one of the Pirate festivals we perform at.  On land, we just drop it and push the cannon home in as far as she'll go.    See  it on       the brigands.com   
"Cannon bring class to what would otherwise be an ugly brawl"
http://thebrigands.com

Offline Samurai5

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 08:28:24 AM »
Hey Tropico,

Do you think the tripod you made would work for my Swivel?  (Same dimensions/Size)  Im concerned because its a Golf Ball size might I need to adjust your scale/Dimensions.

Thanks!
Who is John Galt?

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 08:46:32 AM »
Actually I do think it would work . Its very stable. This is with golf-ball loads correct? With a lead ball that would produce ALOT more recoil.  I wouldnt do that. We shoot lead all the time ., but my swivel is bored at 1" . I believe if you build this tripod (Which is fairly inexpensive - We built 3 for 150.00) and stay with mild loads and learn your swivel gun ., stick with golf-Balls or salute loads youll be fine. For my personal preferences I think a 1.75 lead ball is a bit much to try and handle for fun. We did do a few b.b. loads in a foil pack for fun ., the projectile weighed less than a lead ball . I believe where a swivel is concerned it is better to actually use alot less than recommended loads since a swivel is right there with you ., the experience wont get any more personal than a swivel in your hand.

Offline Samurai5

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 09:21:14 AM »
Im talking 1lb Lead Balls.  Id like the Tripod to take the worst I can give it.   8)  (This is why Im leary about a Tripod)

What is everyone's thoughts on the BEST mobile swivel mount for a Golfball bore firing 1 lb lead balls? (If not a tripod)
Who is John Galt?

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 10:40:51 AM »
I think you may have misunderstood my meaning. this tripod would take a 1 pd ball and the charge that goes with it. Its just I wouldnt. For me personally I have shot my swivel many times. I have went with light loads and heavy loads and i know what the feel of a 1'lead ball is like. For me its enough ..., the tripod can handle it .., its me that doesnt want that much boom boom in my hand shoulder and face. I run light loads because it is so close to me.

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 11:36:32 AM »
If you are concerned with recoil, here is a passive recoil swivel gun mount that works on the same principle as the dissappearing guns of the late 1800's.  The red box at the bottom is a counterweight.  Dom

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 12:02:07 PM »
You can also add a parallel link where it can then be remotely fired.  The link can be attached to the bottom of the breech but it has to be the same length as the main pivot [trunnion to pivot] and parallel to it.  This will prevent the barrel from nosing up when recoiling.

Offline Samurai5

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 01:41:20 PM »
Thanks Tropico!!!  I may build that Tripod then!!!!    :)  (was worried about it tipping backwards)  Dom  that's an awesome system!!!!!!  How much for you to build it for me?!?!   ;D

Attached is my comic book drawing for the Trailer mount.

Who is John Galt?

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 03:05:54 PM »
That is an awesome mount Dom !  ., I get your idea now  Samurai5 .,

Here is a link to Jeeper1 's photo site where he has a video of the tripod catching a 1"bore recoil with a lead ball.

http://i205.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid205.photobucket.com/albums/bb114/jeeper2/Jul052007-VID00031.flv">

Offline and7barton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 08:47:18 PM »
Open your vehicle's other doors when you fire. Everything should be fine - the pressure wave can pass right through without causing any problem.
Founder in 1986 of Historical Artillery Corps, later changed to Historical Artillery UK.
Builder of Cannons and models for South-Western Artillery, Fort Amhurst, Coalhouse Fort and private commissions.
Technical Consultant for two episodes of Scrapheap Challenge. Ex Pyrotechnic Safety Officer at Coalhouse Fort. I go trekking and survivalist camping - build experimental tents and survival equipment - caving.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 03:02:03 AM »
 If I were to fabricate a tripod for a cannon as large as yours, I think I'd make it similar in size and shape to the M3 50 cal mount. You could use the same materials as Tropico's are made from, but the leg lengths, angles and height would be better suited to handle heavy recoil...

http://www.eme421.com/m3tripod.html

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 05:23:57 AM »
What is the best height to mount a swivel gun?
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 06:36:50 AM »
As for the hitch mount...... I'm guessing you are not married or your wife never rides in your vehicle.........

I myself like the smell of burnt sulfur but most wives find the lingering odor

a problem as the two of you are riding down the road........
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Samurai5

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 04:09:14 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the responses & Info!!!!  Im very happy I found this Forum!!!  ;D

I am planning on making the trailer hitch mount AND a tripod mount.  Ill post pictures of them when they are complete.
Who is John Galt?

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2009, 04:49:35 PM »
Samurai5,

Congrats on the new purchase. We look forward to seeing the swivel gun and mounts when finished. Also, I notice that you're in Vegas. I am too. PM me and let me know what part of town.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 02:34:25 AM »
...most wives find the lingering odor a problem as the two of you are riding down the road........

My Wife is used to a sulfery lingering odor after 20 years of marriage. I often generate it even without using black powder. Quite a skill I've developed  ;D

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Samurai5

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2009, 09:06:41 AM »
Hmmmmmm

I wonder what a Dom French 75 golf ball size Swivel gun would look like!!!!   ;)
Who is John Galt?

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2009, 10:33:09 AM »
Thanks Tropico!!!  I may build that Tripod then!!!!    :)  (was worried about it tipping backwards)  Dom  that's an awesome system!!!!!!  How much for you to build it for me?!?!   ;D

Samurai5, Sorry I did get back to you sooner on this, it slipped past me.  I would want to test one first before making it available to make sure there isn't any unforseen problems.  It is something I would like to build  more as a dissappearing gun mount with the rear parallel link attached.

Hmmmmmm

I wonder what a Dom French 75 golf ball size Swivel gun would look like!!!!   ;)

I'm not sure if that would fall under the pre-1899 catagory.  The French 75"s were used in an anti-aircraft role [less carriage] but obviously that was a later production.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »

[/quote]

I'm not sure if that would fall under the pre-1899 catagory.  The French 75"s were used in an anti-aircraft role [less carriage] but obviously that was a later production.
[/quote]

Dom,

what about calling it a fortress mount or ships mount,  there were many pre 1899 cannon with cone mounts......

perhaps instead of being a french 75 it becomes a Navy 6pndr with a shield on a cone mount.......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium