Author Topic: Can I talk to you guys like friends and not get beat up over it?  (Read 1829 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Ok here goes. I bet you guys and Heather know I have had a real bad time with work over the past year. Things are bad. I lost my truck about 8 months back after paying 4 1/2 years on a 6 year note. I have not been able to sell any work around here to save my life. Everyone and there brother does the same type of work around here so to say it is tough to sell work is an understatement. I get little things here and there but nothing that keeps the bills anywhere close to up to date. We pay what is going to be shut off and send a little money on the rest. Anyways Just before Thanksgiving my wife ran into a guy I worked with for about 10 years in the local grocery store. I have not worked for him in also about 8 years or so. He told my wife he had plenty of inside ( till spring ) work and for me to call him. I swore I would never go back to work for this jerk off. He is the most abusive boss you could think of. I gave him a call ( against my better judgement ) after my wife got home and told me. He told me to come to work the next day and he could use me. Here is my story of how the next day went.
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,156645.msg1098682773.html#msg1098682773

Anyways since then I have only worked 2 or 3 days a week. The most I have worked was 4 days in a week. This is not paying the bills. Not to mention right before Christmas the power steering went out of my wife's car. She also had 2 front tires that were showing the belts. We did not have the money to put her car back in order so we relied on the piece of crap van I bought for $1,000.00. At that point I already put $800.00 into this piece of crap. Then the week after Christmas the transmission goes out on the piece of SH**T van. I really have a black cloud over my head. Ok lets move along a little. My boss and his brother are partners on this 3 story addition. Things get worse from here!!!!!!!!!!! If you guys would like to hear the rest of the story let me know. All I can say I visited my first food bank this past week. I have to say it is humbling. I never thought I would be here. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: Can I talk to you guys like friends and not get beat up over it?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 05:00:33 PM »
Dale,

You have a wife and a child that love you.
It doesn't matter if your pockets are empty, you are a rich man.

Spanky

Offline squirrellluck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 06:39:48 PM »
Dale, You have a family to take care of. I have been in a similar state myself. The most powerful man to walk this earth allowed himself to be abused, reviled and crucified. There is no shame in excepting hep. The shame comes only when you quit fighting or accept defeat. I'm kinda rambling but in my odd way I'm trying to tell you to hold your head up. We do what we must to take care of the ones we love. Our prayers for you

Offline crustaceous

• Contributor
  • back for a limited engagement
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 07:07:37 PM »
Have you tried looking on craigslist.com? I just did a search for labor and skilled labor for the Pittsburgh area and there are several carpentry related listings.
Keep your head up and good luck!

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 08:12:01 PM »
Man, I know that I have busted on you about your polls before, please don't take it personal.

That weak apology being said....

You and and your wife have to work.  Get some basic transportation and take things one day at a time.  I am not trying to sound trite.  Even if you can't work as a carpenter then find something that makes some income. 

Sometimes you just don't have control of what happens to you.  You can be the most rational, strategic person in the world and you get blindsided or you just have a series of unfortunate events. 

You have to solve today's problems.  You have to stop blaming yourself for your mistakes.  Did you really make bad choices or did you just have bad luck?  Maybe you need to get a beginner's job outside of carpentry that you have just been to proud to take?  Maybe you just need to walk away from what you are doing. 

You are in a tough spot.  Just try to solve today's problems.  How do I keep some income?  How do we get to work?  Try not to worry about debts or being too proud.  Being a Catholic I don't know if I could call it a conversion experience or "finding Jesus", but I did just reach the point where I had to admit that I didn't have control over some of things that had happened.  Things became easier. 

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 08:51:19 PM »
I can't offer you too much Dale.  I wish I could.  Pray... get to church.  Talk to your pastor.  A lot of times he will know others who can help with employment or even odd jobs.  Where do you live?  What type of work?

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 11:36:45 PM »
Have you tried looking on craigslist.com? I just did a search for labor and skilled labor for the Pittsburgh area and there are several carpentry related listings.
I agree.

Offline weasel

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 11:59:47 PM »
Dale,

Your situation and mine were similar at one time, 5 yrs ago I finally gave up on construction (during a boom) and took a state job. I was 43 and still could handle the work and the cold, but sure wasn't enjoying myself. I knew I wasn't making much money, but when I got my first state check I almost cried, about 1/2 of what I was used to. I have always worked side work, but went after it like a maniac then. Thank God my wife is a financial pirrana, we had 3 houses, monster med. bills, partially from my having no insurance, and were both looking at bankruptcy. We did a lot of praying, still do, my little darlin' put together a plan to be out of debt in 5 yrs, pipe dream so I thought, and we knuckled down. She works (still) 6 days a week selling furniture on comission, then she also worked 5 hrs a night bussing tables, something most professionals wouldn't consider. We attacked our bills, we would look at what we were getting accomplished and that motivated us. We paid off all 3 places and she started renting the 2 vacant places. Any extra money went to what would benefit us most. In the middle of this I decided she needed a dependable car, this set back our plan by $22K. I promised I would pay for the car out of my side money,did it in 2 1/2 yrs. Her plan came true in 3 1/2 yrs.

Being out of debt is a beautiful thing! Now I work extra if I feel like it, take about 1 1/2 mos. off a year to guide/hunt, have the best in optics & equipment, have motorcycles, a 4-wheeler and more guns than I'll ever even shoot, I want for nothing. We live in a small house, the ones we rent out are nicer than what we live in, but our little house is perfect. Heck, I've even been to Europe.

I'm really not trying to gloat or brag, I can't take credit for none of this, our God takes care of us so much better than we could imagine! And he gave me an incredible Christian woman who know how to get things done. The rough times make us appreciate when we have it good and makes us more careful.

If we can do it so can you, just keep pecking away at those difficulties and whittle 'em down. Attack the problem and beat it down.

Bluebayou, now that is an inspirational post! You have my admiration. We'll pray for you and Dale, prayer is a powerful tool!

Best wishes and believe in yourself. Jim

Offline Foxxtrot

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 01:53:30 AM »
Not sure if you can drive a truck or get the training for a CDL A or B, but those day routes for larger carriers will pay you around $35,000 - 40,000. We need more drivers out there, but it is hard work. You would have to get trained and that cost some $, and some time to get hired. Link for careerbuilder jobs in Pittsburg if that is where you are.

http://www.careerbuilder.com/Jobseeker/Jobs/JobResults.aspx?IPath=QH&ch=&rs=&_ctl0%3A_ctl0%3A_ctl0%3ABody%3ACBBody%3ACBBody%3As_rawwords=driver&_ctl0%3A_ctl0%3A_ctl0%3ABody%3ACBBody%3ACBBody%3As_jobtypes=ALL&s_freshness=30&s_education=DRNS&_ctl0%3A_ctl0%3A_ctl0%3ABody%3ACBBody%3ACBBody%3As_freeloc=pittsburg%2C+pa&qsbButton=Find+Jobs+%3E%3E

good luck.
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 02:52:59 AM »
Thanks for the support guys. My wife can not work because she has to take care of my bed ridden mother. She is literally on her death bed. I have not worked this week because of a plumbing inspector. I was told last Friday that we would not be working on Monday because the inspector has to look at a bunch of stuff before we can close up a bunch of walls. So I call my boss Monday evening to find out if we will be working Tuesday. He says the inspector did not make it and hopefully we can work Wendsday. So I start calling him Tuesday evening. He normally returns my calls in short order. Not this time. I left several messages. I was wondering if he was in jail on a DUI or something. He just recently left his wife and kids. Anyways I finally get him on the phone yesterday after noon. I asked him whats up and why he did not return any of my calls. He said he met some chick and was shacked up with the last couple days and did not answer the phone for a couple days. Now this really pisses me off. We are hardly eating here and he is more concerned about getting layed. He said he would call his brother and find out if the inspector ever made it there. Then he calls me back a few hours later and says the inspector never made it there and we would not be working till Monday. I am just plain pissed. I have a job and am still not making any money. He is not worried he has money in the bank. Did I say I am pissed.  >:( >:( Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 04:15:14 AM »
I sure hope it turns around this year. Keep trying that is all you can do.
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 05:53:44 AM »
I just applied for a couple of construction management jobs. Here is the resume I am sending out. I have no experience writing such a thing. Do you guys think this is OK? Dale

To whom it may concern. My name is Dale Risher and have been a carpenter for 23 years. Back in the early 80's I worked at Kings Bay Navel Base in Kings Bay GA. First for the Blake construction running their carpenter shop. This project was the Trident Training facality. I only had a few carpenters under me and we prefabricated special forms for filed use. I later went to work for H&S corporation on the base. I started there as a carpenter and was later given the job of Concrete Quality Control. I had to read many books and learned more about concrete than any one person should know. I also had to be approved by the US Navy for this job along with security clearances. Anytime concrete was being poured on the job site I had to be there. This meant me working as many a 80 hours a week and sleeping in the job trailer at times. I later went to work for the Haskell company in Jacksonville FL. I hired on there as a carpenter at first. The project was one 10 story building, four 5 story buildings and a 5 story parking garage. With the suggestion of my foreman to the superintendent ( because of my work ethic and problem solving skills ) they made me foreman of E building. I had over 75 carpenters and laborers directly under me. I also had to over see all the sub contractors and coordinate the schedule from one floor to the next. I also learned how to use a transit and optical level on this project. When I finished up this project I went to work for Watkins Construction as a field engineer. I lay ed out a 5 story parking garage for them at the Jacksonville International Airport from the ground up. I have worked for various residential construction companies over the years and construction has been my life. I am a roof cutting fool and the more difficult the better. I love to figure out and cut complex roofs.For the last 8 years I have been doing remodeling for myself. With the economy the way it is right now and the cost of gas people just are not spending the money on their homes as years past. For this reason I need to go to work for someone other than myself. I would hope you would give me consideration for the job you offer. I have run crews, I have great problem solving skills, I am organized and am good with customer's and people in general. You can contact me at DALESCARPENTRY@AOL.COM or give me a call at 724-887-0153 Thanks Dale Risher

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 06:09:53 AM »
If i could i'd hire you. Myself i have my resume done but that was 10 years ago so i cannot comment
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 06:11:32 AM »
Last night i went to a mem. service for a friend of my parents, money problems had gotten to him so bad that he put a shotgun in him mouth this past monday. He left a wife, 2 boys, 4 grand children. Like the other have said you have a wife a child and a skill God gave you. Put your problems in his hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that what i did.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 06:51:14 AM »
I hope your life clears up for you soon Dale. But I hate to say it ,Looks like alot of people are gonna be in your shoes pretty soon this country is on a down hill slide and it don't look good for the near future. I really hope we come outta this soon.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 06:52:51 AM »
Dale,  I know Kings Bay, GA.  I know Jacksonville, FL.  I know Haskell Construction.  But Scottdale, Pa.?  For the love of a good woman I hope!

Your resume tells it like it is with sincerety from the heart.  Some unscrupulus types might take advantage of your vulnerability but put your trust in the Lord to see you through this difficult time.

I don't know if relocation is in your family's future or the necessity of your traveling to the location of the work.  I do know that with your background in works for the Federal Government and the volume of work that is being designed and constructed in San Antonio, TX for a joint venture between the Army (at Ft Sam Houston) and the Air Force that you could find work there.

Florida is not the same Boom Town it was before the housing market bust.  Construction is still progressing particularly FDOT and Federal (Kennedy Space Center) and with your skills you should be able to run an entire company (you are doing that now for yourself) and at least manage a crew and superintend a jobsite.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 07:07:42 AM »
Dale that's NOT a resume. It is just a narrative of your work history, not the same really. It has one glaring problem that you should correct to have it more seriously considered by prospective employers. It needs paragraph breaks desperately. I've offered a suggested new look below.

I made a few minor punctuation corrections as well but made no attempt to rewrite your wording. A resume is more of a list of jobs held with dates and titles and job description and such. It's been a long time since I had a job much less prepared a resume so am not up to speed on just what all is expected these day. But nothing replaces a professional looking resume in getting a management job. I spent much of my working career as a manager and even in hiring of subordinate managers to work under me.

By the way now seems like the time to save the money you are wasting on the cigarettes so it can be applied to food and rent or house payments and utility bills.

I just applied for a couple of construction management jobs. Here is the resume I am sending out. I have no experience writing such a thing. Do you guys think this is OK? Dale

To whom it may concern. My name is Dale Risher and have been a carpenter for 23 years. Back in the early 80's I worked at Kings Bay Navel Base in Kings Bay GA. First for the Blake construction running their carpenter shop. This project was the Trident Training facality. I only had a few carpenters under me and we prefabricated special forms for filed use.

I later went to work for H&S corporation on the base. I started there as a carpenter and was later given the job of Concrete Quality Control. I had to read many books and learned more about concrete than any one person should know. I also had to be approved by the US Navy for this job along with security clearances. Anytime concrete was being poured on the job site I had to be there. This meant me working as many a 80 hours a week and sleeping in the job trailer at times.

I later went to work for the Haskell company in Jacksonville FL. I hired on there as a carpenter at first. The project was one 10 story building, four 5 story buildings and a 5 story parking garage. With the suggestion of my foreman to the superintendent ( because of my work ethic and problem solving skills ) they made me foreman of E building. I had over 75 carpenters and laborers directly under me. I also had to over see all the sub contractors and coordinate the schedule from one floor to the next.

I also learned how to use a transit and optical level on this project. When I finished up this project I went to work for Watkins Construction as a field engineer. I layed out a 5 story parking garage for them at the Jacksonville International Airport from the ground up. I have worked for various residential construction companies over the years and construction has been my life.

I am a roof cutting fool and the more difficult the better. I love to figure out and cut complex roofs. For the last 8 years I have been doing remodeling for myself. With the economy the way it is right now and the cost of gas people just are not spending the money on their homes as years past. For this reason I need to go to work for someone other than myself.

I would hope you would give me consideration for the job you offer. I have run crews, I have great problem solving skills, I am organized and am good with customers and people in general.

You can contact me at DALESCARPENTRY@AOL.COM or give me a call at 724-887-0153 Thanks Dale Risher

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 07:17:55 AM »
Dale,  I know Kings Bay, GA.  I know Jacksonville, FL.  I know Haskell Construction.  But Scottdale, Pa.?  For the love of a good woman I hope!

Your resume tells it like it is with sincerety from the heart.  Some unscrupulus types might take advantage of your vulnerability but put your trust in the Lord to see you through this difficult time.

I don't know if relocation is in your family's future or the necessity of your traveling to the location of the work.  I do know that with your background in works for the Federal Government and the volume of work that is being designed and constructed in San Antonio, TX for a joint venture between the Army (at Ft Sam Houston) and the Air Force that you could find work there.

Florida is not the same Boom Town it was before the housing market bust.  Construction is still progressing particularly FDOT and Federal (Kennedy Space Center) and with your skills you should be able to run an entire company (you are doing that now for yourself) and at least manage a crew and superintend a jobsite.
Have you ever been to the Jacksonville international airport? If so you probably parked in the parking garage I layed out from start to finish. Here is the project I worked on when I worked for the Haskell company. I was over E  ( the 5 story ) building and also did some layout on D building the 10 story. I have pictures of that project from beginning to end. My favorite picture is me on the roof of the 10 story building. Here is the link to that project. Dale

http://www.thehaskellco.com/en/Portfolio/Commercial/Bank_of_America/

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 07:24:22 AM »
Thanks GB. I will copy and save it as you have layed it out. Your version is the one that will go out from now on. Thanks again Dale

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 07:53:32 AM »
Dale,

If your interested I worked for a fellow when in high school.  Years go by and I ran into him again.  Turns out he is a general contractor now.  I'm always looking for extra income and offered myself up as laborer.  He mentioned has a lot of them what he really needs is a carpenter.  I've done carpentry and masonry in Army reserves and completely remolded my own house, but I would'nt call myself a carpenter.  But you are.  I'll pm you with his phone number.  Give him a call or leave him a message, or even an e-mail. 

Good Luck!

Jerry
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 07:58:06 AM »
Dale,

If your interested I worked for a fellow when in high school.  Years go by and I ran into him again.  Turns out he is a general contractor now.  I'm always looking for extra income and offered myself up as laborer.  He mentioned has a lot of them what he really needs is a carpenter.  I've done carpentry and masonry in Army reserves and completely remolded my own house, but I would'nt call myself a carpenter.  But you are.  I'll pm you with his phone number.  Give him a call or leave him a message, or even an e-mail. 

Good Luck!

Jerry
Thanks Jerry. Where is he located? If it is some what close by I would like to give him a call. Dale

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 08:02:11 AM »
Just finished the PM ;)  Its all in there.

Jerry
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline Ruskin

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 08:24:30 AM »
Dale

I believe you lived in St Marys GA.  I have kin in St Marys.  I haven't been there for many years and have not seen the Navy base there.  The last time I was there for any time was in the 60s.  My cousin ran a department store A&B before he died.  He lived on the main road to the docks.  My cousin worked the bank.  One of her daughter's husband was woking at the mill when a boiler blew up.  One man was killed he survived probably due to his strengh.

I know I am not answering your question; however, as far as a resume you can probaly find a format on the internet.  I suggest a cover letter for your resume.  The resume is a time line of your work history to present.  You start with education then work history. Greybeard has helped, put it in chronological order then you are approaching a resume.  Try not to make it overly long.  Remember, you need to be to the point and not verbose.  A long drawn out narrative will probaly end up in file 13.

Living in central Florida I don't have to worry about the cold shutting down my work.  Maybe you can find cross training.  My son does fence erection, and he has some dry spells for which I end up helping.  He has finished fire school, to get away form construction,  only to find freezes in hiring in the county here and below here.  God Speed.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 08:36:28 AM »
Dale

I believe you lived in St Marys GA.  I have kin in St Marys.  I haven't been there for many years and have not seen the Navy base there.  The last time I was there for any time was in the 60s.  My cousin ran a department store A&B before he died.  He lived on the main road to the docks.  My cousin worked the bank.  One of her daughter's husband was woking at the mill when a boiler blew up.  One man was killed he survived probably due to his strengh.

I know I am not answering your question; however, as far as a resume you can probaly find a format on the internet.  I suggest a cover letter for your resume.  The resume is a time line of your work history to present.  You start with education then work history. Greybeard has helped, put it in chronological order then you are approaching a resume.  Try not to make it overly long.  Remember, you need to be to the point and not verbose.  A long drawn out narrative will probaly end up in file 13.

Living in central Florida I don't have to worry about the cold shutting down my work.  Maybe you can find cross training.  My son does fence erection, and he has some dry spells for which I end up helping.  He has finished fire school, to get away form construction,  only to find freezes in hiring in the county here and below here.  God Speed.

I lived in Fernandina Beach Fl across the river from St. Marys Ga. Dale

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 08:59:49 AM »
Dale Risher
Background: 23 years carpenter experience.

Project: 1980-? Kings Bay Naval Base--Trident Training facality in Kings Bay GA.
Specific Skills--Form fabrication
                   --Assigned to Concrete Quality Control
                   --US Navy ceritfied and attained security clearances
                   --Jobsite supervision of all concrete pours

Project: Date? Haskell Co., Jacksonville, FL--Multi-Family Housing
Specific Skills--Promoted to foreman, direct supervision of 75 carpenters&laborers
                   --scheduling of subcontractors
                   --Learned to use transit and level

Etc. Etc.........Make it short and sweet and sell yourself, you have a helluva lot to sell. In today's economy you have a lot to offer because no one wants to spend time and $ trying to train people when they don't have to. Don't go into personal reasons and keep your head high when you interview with people because you have a lot to offer. Be confident and I think prayer is always helpful.
FWIW
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 09:55:49 AM »
Dale, my FRIEND, I can't offer you anything except to keep the faith.
I thought getting your old gun back was going to be a great turning point in your struggles.
It still might be, who knows.
Just don't give up and PLEASE DON'T EVEN THINK OF ENDING IT like some others have done.
They will never know wheather it would have turned for them now.
Like others have said, GOD gave you a gift and a wonderful family.
For their love, don't give up!
The best to you and if you ever need to talk email me and I will give you my #.

HANG IN THERE MY FRIEND!!!

Frank                          aka   LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 11:36:24 AM »
Dale...Just a thought. Have you tried the local lumber supply houses? (Lowes ,Home Depot) Could be an opening for a project estimator.???? BEST OF LUCK AND PRAYERS SENT YOU WAY. :)

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2009, 12:14:27 PM »
Dale file bankruptcy BEFORE you use all your money and assets up fighting the inevetable. I made that mistake when i was disabled and went from 80,000 a year to 12,000 overnight and if it hadn't been for military retirement i would have starved before s.s kicked in.Yea it hurts but sometimes you just dont have a choice,  There will be no bailout for the little guy  just the superrich who think they are broke if they only have 3-4 million. Times are hard and are going to get a lot harder, ouy reps are too stupid to know that banks and financial agencys are vultures that make a living scr888ing the working class and the working class is what makes the real wealth in this country.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2009, 07:08:26 PM »
Now THAT Dale constitutes a resume. Read all of what I said what you have even with my changes didn't constitute a resume.

A GOOD resume buys you an interview. During the interview YOU must then sell yourself to the interviewer if you want the job. Been there done that on both ends really and as a manager did a lot of interviews after reading over the resumes/job applications of prospective job applicants. In my case I really wasn't given a choice of which to interview as I was directed in that regard by Personnel as a federal employee. But what they put down weighted very heavily on my attitude about them going into the interview. How they handled themselves and how they responded to my questions determined who got the job.

In your case no one is likely to force the list of who to interview on the hiring supervisor since the jobs will be in private industry so the resume is the single most important assett you can have. It MUST impress enough to earn you a face to face in which you can then attempt to sell yourself to the hiring official. It must be professional and it must have enough info for them to decide you are worth talking to. Once in front of the man it's all on your shoulders whether you can sell yourself to him.

Dale Risher
Background: 23 years carpenter experience.

Project: 1980-? Kings Bay Naval Base--Trident Training facality in Kings Bay GA.
Specific Skills--Form fabrication
                   --Assigned to Concrete Quality Control
                   --US Navy ceritfied and attained security clearances
                   --Jobsite supervision of all concrete pours

Project: Date? Haskell Co., Jacksonville, FL--Multi-Family Housing
Specific Skills--Promoted to foreman, direct supervision of 75 carpenters&laborers
                   --scheduling of subcontractors
                   --Learned to use transit and level

Etc. Etc.........Make it short and sweet and sell yourself, you have a helluva lot to sell. In today's economy you have a lot to offer because no one wants to spend time and $ trying to train people when they don't have to. Don't go into personal reasons and keep your head high when you interview with people because you have a lot to offer. Be confident and I think prayer is always helpful.
FWIW

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2009, 12:16:26 AM »
Dale
You have spoken with honesty and a pure heart.
You have been given excellent advice. I have read your proposed resume and either version, I like the last, would present yourself as a GOOD find for an employer.
It indicates the willingness too start at any position and gives the necessary information for them too know that you are qualified to assume any position.
If I was a construction firm I would be calling too ask if you were willing too relocate too Houston.
My love, encouragement and
Blessings
Bill
TEXAS, by GOD