Author Topic: Leupold Vari-x II 3x9 w/Target Dot Reticle  (Read 1095 times)

Offline EarlB

• Trade Count: (0)
Leupold Vari-x II 3x9 w/Target Dot Reticle
« on: January 15, 2009, 07:10:22 PM »
Today I received a gun I purchased off the internet, a beautiful pre-Garcia Sako L61R Finnbear in 30-06 41000 range this would make it a 60's era gun.  It has a Leupold vari-x II 3x9 with a reticle I've never seen before (all my guns have been traditional duplex reticles for the most part).  This scope has what I've found from my research is a target dot reticle - very, very fine cross hairs with a center dot where they meet.

How good does this reticle work for hunting?  I know it's intended purpose is precision target shooting but I'm a hunter.  I don't particularly want to switch the scope out as I feel it's likely the same time period as the gun.  Very clear optics.

Aside from their use in hunting (it's obviuos it won't be the best low-light reticle - but I don't typically shoot in low light anyways) How desirable are the target dot reticles?

value of the scope?

Thanks,
Earl

Offline bigdaddytacp

• Avid Poster
Re: Leupold Vari-x II 3x9 w/Target Dot Reticle
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 08:28:02 AM »
Today I received a gun I purchased off the internet, a beautiful pre-Garcia Sako L61R Finnbear in 30-06 41000 range this would make it a 60's era gun.  It has a Leupold vari-x II 3x9 with a reticle I've never seen before (all my guns have been traditional duplex reticles for the most part).  This scope has what I've found from my research is a target dot reticle - very, very fine cross hairs with a center dot where they meet.

How good does this reticle work for hunting?  I know it's intended purpose is precision target shooting but I'm a hunter.  I don't particularly want to switch the scope out as I feel it's likely the same time period as the gun.  Very clear optics.

Aside from their use in hunting (it's obviuos it won't be the best low-light reticle - but I don't typically shoot in low light anyways) How desirable are the target dot reticles?

value of the scope?....For paper punching the target dot is very nice...for most field work they are too fine and get lost on the target......to my eyes......my dot scopes have always been higher power scopes and I used them in the field only for fun and I had to hunt for the dot aganist the target....I have seen a larger non target dot that worked well for quicker shooting and the shooter used it for jump hunting in the wooded areas he hunted......I don't know about value but the reticle should have been a extra cost or factory return added option and to the right person......maybe to get parallax set closer and use on a .22 rimfire gun......it will be attractive to them....good luck and good shooting!!  PS those Sako's esp those older ones are sweet looking and shooting art....enjoy!!

Thanks,
Earl

Offline EarlB

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 05:55:47 PM »
Thanks.  Yep, they are certainly rifles like you don't find anymore.  I've allways been drawn to them since I was a kid.  My uncle brought back 3 from a Rod and Gun club when he came back from being stationed in Germany in '69.  Two Finnbears (.270 and 30-06) and a .243 Forester.  My dad has the .270 and has used it for every deer he has ever taken.  One day I'll have that one too (none too soon though).  I figure I'll pass it on to my oldest but since I have two boys I figured - hey, need two to pass on to them. 

I may inquire of Leupold about changing the reticle if I don't like hunting with the target dot.  Anyone have an idea what Leupold charges to change out a reticle in one of their scopes?  I know I could just get another scope but this one just looks more right and correct for the gun than a brand new Leupold would.  The gold trim, lettering, etc. is alot more subdued on this scope than their current ones.

Earl

Offline mooman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 06:12:52 AM »
   i had an old weaver k-6 with the target dot ,used it for years . i think it was much easier ,for me anyhow ,to use and get on a deer quick.  i replaced it with a leupold vx11, with the dot.  mine is the 3x9x40 ,and i  love the target dot.

Offline EarlB

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 07:24:53 AM »
Thanks Mooman, I'll just have to take it hog hunting in the offseason and see how it does.  My only concern is if the dot gets lost on the target since the crosshairs are so faint but we'll see.  If the dot stands out against the target then like you say everything will be sweet because you won't have the crosshairs to distract you - just the target and the dot.

Earl

Offline mooman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 11:54:11 AM »
   yes ,the dot lines up very easy . hope you like yours like i do mine

Offline chucky52

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 04:28:17 PM »
The dot is horrible. I'd recommend selling the scope. Let me know if you decide on that route.

Offline hogrdr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 02:45:21 PM »
Thanks.  Yep, they are certainly rifles like you don't find anymore.  I've allways been drawn to them since I was a kid.  My uncle brought back 3 from a Rod and Gun club when he came back from being stationed in Germany in '69.  Two Finnbears (.270 and 30-06) and a .243 Forester.  My dad has the .270 and has used it for every deer he has ever taken.  One day I'll have that one too (none too soon though).  I figure I'll pass it on to my oldest but since I have two boys I figured - hey, need two to pass on to them. 

I may inquire of Leupold about changing the reticle if I don't like hunting with the target dot.  Anyone have an idea what Leupold charges to change out a reticle in one of their scopes?  I know I could just get another scope but this one just looks more right and correct for the gun than a brand new Leupold would.  The gold trim, lettering, etc. is alot more subdued on this scope than their current ones.

Earl

Earl
I emailed Leupold about cost to change reticle on a Vari XIII 3.5X10X50 I bought with target dot to duplex cost is $59.95 plus shipping. They did give me serial # and stated had to be higher than the one they gave me or it was to old seems older ones can't be changed.

I was afraid of not being able to see when hunting! After pointing it at cows and horses a few barn cats I feel comfortable it will be OK. Crosshairs disappear but dot is plenty visible. I kinda like it so I'm going to try on elk hunt this year.
Hog