Author Topic: Quality of low priced handguns versus higher priced handguns  (Read 2525 times)

Offline John R.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Quality of low priced handguns versus higher priced handguns
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2009, 02:34:23 AM »
I agree williamlayton, when your betting on your life, get the best you can possibly afford, and practice. Buy the cheapo's if you want to play, but not for the serious stuff. The only exception to this rule, is that's all you have period.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2009, 03:30:14 AM »
O the 5 or 6 I've been around I have never see one fail. I don't like them they are clunkier than a glock but everyone I've seen never failed to fire. I recommend them second to people who ask me for a affordable (cheap0) handgun.  My first recommendation is always a revolver.  IMHO a revolver is always more reliable.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline WILDCATT

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2009, 01:40:29 PM »
this thread sounds like the dillon is the only.
I have a hi-point C and it never fails.I bought it new and shoot it.is it the best no but I have had hundred of pistols,and if I had to I would use it.I have browning  hi power,smiths colts,rugers noricos,ect. and many more.its only since WW2 that people have had the money to buy colts S&W.many had euopean bring backs.the main pistols back then were H&R,Ivers. and people relied on them for protection. alot of police carried H&R brake actions. and thought they were well armed.maybe some of you should pull you elitest necks in. we're not all well to do.if people cant afford and expensive piece than they get what they can and they are one more gun owner.some people are butchers and break any thing.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2009, 01:42:04 AM »
wildcatt
This has nothing to do with elitist, well to do anything.
If you want something good save and buy it. We all have to do that.
If you got too have it NOW then spend what you have NOW.
I would rather save---have a few that I really can trust, than many I wish I didn't have.
Why get so defensive?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2009, 02:25:02 AM »
What William said, buy the best you can afford, after all it's YOUR life you're betting on.

Offline BullyDawg19

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2009, 03:12:59 AM »
its funny how through the evolution of guns that a company like hi point could produce something reliable. they are using a simple but reliable setup that has been used forever. what i see is envy from the hipoint owners who cant afford a glock/sig and have to say mine is as good as yours but if given the chance would swap with you at a moments notice. the guy owning the glock or sig wouldnt swap you for 10 hi points. see the difference. im not saying one is actually better than the other because who can really define "better". it comes down to being "its what i like". plain and simple.
and BTW - my new Glock 23 jammed several times the other day right out of the box with 180 Gold Dots. it just didnt like them. shot eveything else perfectly. after 200 rounds the gold dots run with no problem. does it mean that my glock isnt as good as a high point that might shoot 1000's of rounds without jamming. dont think so. i wouldnt trade you for 100 hipoints. but if you sleep well at night with 150.00 gun on the nightstand then so be it. ill keep my 23 with nightsights and m3. if it jams when i need it - at least i can say i did all i could.

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2009, 03:21:42 AM »
Wildcat, if you own Hi-Powers, Colts, Smiths, etc,etc. You are as well off as most of us. Is your Hi-Point C9 your go to gun, over all of your other high quality guns? I sure hope not, cause there is no way my Hi-Power would be in the safe and my Hi-Point on the nightstand. :o

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2009, 09:20:51 AM »
Back in my economically disadvantaged 20's, I bought a Raven P-25 in .25 ACP, and later a Lorcin in .22 RF.  The Lorcin jambed alot, and the Raven was very reliable.  My shooting buddies and myself had fun with those guns, cheap to buy, but very entertaining.  We had shooting competitions with those cheapies versus more expensive guns, the Raven was a good buy as entertainment and home defense.

I would not buy something like that now for a shooter, but I have more money and less time to mess around, still, variety is nice.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2009, 06:12:08 PM »
Your kidding, right? You always get what you pay for.
Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline Brett

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2009, 06:42:13 AM »
Your kidding, right? You always get what you pay for.
Steve

To a certain degree this statement is true.  However, you will pay a premium for name/brand recognition, big advertising budgets,  celebrity endorsements, etc. with the big name brands like Colt, S&W and Glock.  Who do you think pays for all those full page adds in those glossy magazines or those celebrity endorsements?  Do any of these things make your Glock or S&W any better? 

Then some times you'll find a small manufacturer like Kel-Tec for example who don't sink a bundle of money into national advertising campaigns and celebrity sponsorships and the like and put out a very good product at a reasonable cost.

I read recently that Kel-Tec is the third largest firearms manufacturer in the US in terms of units sold but I bet you there are folks here who have never heard of them where as everyone has heard of S&W or Glock, even people who don't have any interest in guns.

Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2009, 11:55:48 AM »
I like them all and wish I could have one of each and three or four of some of them.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2009, 05:41:37 AM »
I would think that if they are of the same quality then some one  would figure out they could charge a price in the same level. That's a pretty good reason to suspect they aren't. Who doesn't want to make more money?
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline Brett

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2009, 03:19:34 PM »
I would think that if they are of the same quality then some one  would figure out they could charge a price in the same level. That's a pretty good reason to suspect they aren't. Who doesn't want to make more money?

Of course they could make more money by selling more of them also.   ;D
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC