Author Topic: Lee v Hornady  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Ruskin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Lee v Hornady
« on: January 16, 2009, 08:27:52 AM »
I am going to purchase 30-30AI dies.  I went to Midway USA. 

Lee dies $30.49.  Hornady dies 65.99.

I have a set of Lee in 6.5 Swede.  I am satisfied.

Any preference or reason to pay more for the Hornady?

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Re: Lee v Hornady
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 08:44:39 AM »
I have replaced all of my dies with Lee.

LM
LAZERMULE

If I would have asked the people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse....-Henry Ford

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 08:48:58 AM »
Some people like the bullet seater provided with the Hornady dies. I do not think it makes a whole lot of difference, myself. I think the out side of the Lee dies are kind of plain looking, I am sure this saves some money. There are people that swear by the Hornady dies and some that stick with the Lee dies. It really is a matter of personal preference. I think I would go with the Lee dies if you want rounds that are hunting quality. If you want to get a better quality reload, I would pony up the money for the Hornady. I am not talking inches difference in accuracy only tenths. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline LHitchcox

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 09:02:41 AM »
I have the Lee dies in .30-30AI, and I am perfectly satisfied. They load very accurate ammo for my Contender.

Leon

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 09:09:57 AM »
What it really boils down to is how much you want to spend. If you buy lee you will have more money for range time
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 10:43:45 AM »
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline wncchester

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 11:12:32 AM »
"Any preference or reason to pay more for the Hornady?"

No.  Hornady is okay but no better than Lee, certainly not if you measure "quality" by the ammo produced. 

I'd get the moch superior Forster dies before I'd pay that price for ANY other common die brand!
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 12:20:14 PM »
both will make as good a bullet as you can make, one will cost you more to do it.When i was a mechanic i used craftsman tools and made as much as the guy next to me using snap on the major difference was i did'nt owe the tool guy half my pay at the end of the week.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 02:23:59 PM »
I have both and as far as the bullets go there is no diffrence. I kinda like the way hornadys work, but if dollars is a concern Lee make great stuff.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Westbound

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 05:00:25 PM »
I have the Hornady in 45-70 and the Lee carbide in 45 LC.
Both are great dies in my opinion.  If the price difference is that steep, I'd be loading with the Lee dies for sure!

Offline BigJakeJ1s

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 06:26:59 PM »
I've tried Lee standard dies and do not like them. The ones I have are too poorly finished on the inside, and their design uses the same seating plug for multiple calibers of bullets. And their lock-less rings just plain stink. Hornady dies are not generally as good as Redding Competition series or Forster, but don't cost as much either (the AI calibers are semi-custom, low volume dies for most makers, and are priced accordingly). The Hornady seaters also accept an optional micrometer adjustment screw for seating depth, which is a nice convenience. Hornady lock rings are great, combining clamp-style locking and wrench flats.

I like Lee collet neck sizing dies, and their collet style factory crimp dies for rifle and bottleneck pistol cartridges, but I change out the lock rings for something that works.

Andy

Offline wncchester

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 04:35:03 AM »
I have dies from some ten brands.  I would agree with anyone that Lee's external finish is not as shiney as many others but I find no consistant difference between die interiors by brand at all. 

Features matter, on an individual basis.  Some like one thing, others the opposite.  For instance, Lee's method of holding the decap/expander rod is so good Hornady copied it but some people don't like it.  Okay, but that doesn't make it inferior and it seems more like it than don't.  The question of bullet seater plugs should be how well does the design work, not how cartridge specific it is; Lee's design works as well as any common seaters.  Some like the Lee lock ring, some don't and both groups are correct for themselves, but it's no serioous reflection on the quality of the dies.  I like Forster/Hornady lock rings myself but that isn't to say Lee's or RCBS's lock rings are inferior, they're just different.

Exterior finish and interior finish on a seater is irrelivant for any dies.  For sizers, I've proven to myself that a satin interior finish is actually superior in function to a mirror finish.  A satin finish seems to retain a better layer of case lube so cases are less likely to get stuck and the press effort is slightly reduced as well.   Shine in a die, out side or in, just don't work as pretty as it looks!

On average, Lee's dies make as good a "bullet" as anyone's dies and that's a fact, not opinon.

Offline MnMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 03:14:22 PM »
The only die that ever gave me problems was a Hornady. I buy a lot of Lee, some RCBS, a few Redding, but never again anything by Hornady.

JMHO
mike
Mike Ellestad

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 07:59:28 PM »
I like Lee dies.  The warranty period isn't as long as some other brands, but with the price difference, if something went bad you could replace them once and still be ahead a couple of bucks.

Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 02:39:02 AM »
Id take the lees. Im not a fan of hornady dies. Now if you were asking if id rather have rcbs or even better redding my answer would be different.
blue lives matter

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 10:31:23 AM »
I've tried Lee standard dies and do not like them. The ones I have are too poorly finished on the inside, and their design uses the same seating plug for multiple calibers of bullets. And their lock-less rings just plain stink. Hornady dies are not generally as good as Redding Competition series or Forster, but don't cost as much either (the AI calibers are semi-custom, low volume dies for most makers, and are priced accordingly). The Hornady seaters also accept an optional micrometer adjustment screw for seating depth, which is a nice convenience. Hornady lock rings are great, combining clamp-style locking and wrench flats.

I like Lee collet neck sizing dies, and their collet style factory crimp dies for rifle and bottleneck pistol cartridges, but I change out the lock rings for something that works.

Andy

I 100% agree!!

I wouldn't take another set of Lee STD dies if you gave them to me. I also like the neck sizing dies and have a number of calibers of them.

The AI does raise the cost, but you should have known that before you re-chambered. Don't skimp now. Something everyone should agree upon, by the best you can afford. Remember the sweetness of a good deal fades fast once the bitterness of poor quality shows up.

Buy Redding if you can swing it, but Foster, C&H or RCBS is a good second choice. Lyman makes a good die as well. Hornady as a last resort... never again LEE...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 02:23:25 PM »
What about Lee carbide dies? ???

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 02:03:51 AM »
Ive got to dissagree. ive got 10s of thousands of dollars in loading and casting equiptment and surely dont buy something cheap to get by. I also dont spend twice as much on something that is no better. Ive used lee dies for a long time and have never had a problem with rough machining and probably have 25 sets of them. Personaly i think there carbide handgun dies are the best out there at any price and there rifle dies may not look as pretty and may be a tad cruder to operate then something like a redding but when it comes to the mechanics of loading they do just as well. I guess i have to ask why if you got a set with a poor finish on the inside you didnt just send them back to lee for a good set? Ive learned over the years from my mistakes and theres not a red press of any kind left in the loading room but there will allways be lee dies.
blue lives matter

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 01:21:49 PM »
As long as you have confidence in them, use them. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 01:27:48 PM »
The Lee dies work just fine for me.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline mountainview

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 05:33:45 AM »
Lee and Hornady, I've found both to be good and both to provide good customer service to me. Go with whatever one you think fits your needs, budget or otherwise.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 12:34:49 PM »
I started loading my own in 1965 and have been disapointed in every thing Lee I have ever owned. Lee junk just won`t hold up to the volume of ammo I load. Their die bodies are to short to work right in my press and I could go on for a week telling you what I don`t like about Lee. BUT there are people that love that junk.  ???

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 03:50:58 PM »
I just posted a Lee die comment on another topic, so I won't reiterate.  However, I just purchased my first Lee carbide set in 45 acp because a volume reloader said that I should try them.

Simply as I can state, the Lee dies are fabulous...except for the lock rings.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline SingleShotShorty

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2009, 06:58:50 AM »
I have loaded since the late 60's and as far as I'm concerned if it has the Lee name on it it is low quaility junk. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old Age and Treachery Will Alway's Overcome
Youth and Skill.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2009, 12:09:21 PM »
Well, to have success with Lee, you need to pick your product, for as the last post indicated, Lee has some real JUNK!

Won't last, wasn't good and barely did the job right out of the box.

I have a couple Lee products around, but as I said, "pick and choose".

For an Ol'Coot, quality is important and I have little time for JUNK.

Keep em coming

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline goodconcretecolor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 03:36:08 PM »
"I have loaded since the late 60's and as far as I'm concerned if it has the Lee name on it it is low quaility junk. Just my 2 cents worth."
With out some specifics to back this "2 cents worth" is not worth 2 cents. How has Lee failed you? I hate their powder scale as being hard to read and fragile ( prefer an old Lyman scale). But most of the rest of my equipment is Lee and I have been reloading for 20 years. I have a hand press, a reloader press, 2 auto primes, a "Perfect" powder measure, a dipper set and a slew of case prep tools and love them.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2009, 05:55:52 PM »
I started reloading with lee products.  I now have a mixture of lee, hornady, and rcbs.  Not because they are better, I either got a good deal or had a specific feature I wanted.  Take the lee scale.........very accurate, hard to read when setting.  Will it work, yes indeed it will.  The lee classic press is as strong as any out there.  As far as Mr. Lee's case trim tools go, all I can say is why didn't I think of that.

As far as lee dies go, in my opinion, there is not a better value out there.  Does anybody else send you the shellholder?  I agree with another poster that used the illustration of technician's tools.  You can buy snap-on if you want, but they will not make you any more money than craftsman, or SK.

That's my opinion.
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline wncchester

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2009, 02:34:18 AM »
Catfish:  "Their die bodies are to short to work right in my press and I could go on for a week telling you what I don`t like about Lee. BUT there are people that love that junk."

Catfish, I'm puzzled on a couple of of your points.  I would like to better understand how you have based your judgements on what's junk.

First, I wonder what press is too long to work with "short" Lee dies?  So, okay, you can't use Lee in your press but how does that make Lee dies, or anything else that's incompatible, "junk"?  The excellant Forster Co-Ax presses once had too little lever clearance (they changed it) to use the excellant but tall Redding Comp. Seater dies.  Which was junk, the dies or the press?  Understand, Levi jeans don't fit me so I don't buy Levi jeans but I don't say Levi makes "junk".  I mean, I can't see that a simple incompatibility between brands is a valid standard of the quality of anything. ???

Neither can I say that what I like personally is the standard of the quality of anything.  I don't like Starbucks coffee.  I don't like Chevorlet.  I don't like black rifles.  But I don't say any of them are, by that fact, "junk".  A LOT of people like and get good service from each.  They aren't fools either.  So what's the standard of what I like or don't like mean to the value or anything to anyone???

Real die problems would be that the threads are cut wrong, the dies aren't round, the chambers are out of SAAMI tolerance, etc., not what I like.  I've  seen/heard of a lot a of slams against Lee dies but never heard any valid specifics of what is supposed to be wrong with them!  Lee's dies seem to be as good any any, at least to me and I've actually measured a lot of them.  On average, Lee's external appearance is less refined as others but it's the insides that do the work and I find they are as good as any inside.  And, again on average, the ammo they load will shoot as well as any and they last as long as any.  Do you have conficting data?

I've never heard of any brand of dies, or anything else, having zero defects getting out the door but every one of those defects that did get by has, to the best of my knowledge, been corrected by the maker, of any brand.  Given that Lee has the largest share of the market it would seem that Lee would have the most returns and need the most replacement parts.  From what I read on the net, that's NOT the case! 

Lee is not my favorite brand for a variety of reasons. No brand is, on an item by item basis.  But some of Lee's tools are the best on the market, at any price, for some tasks.  So I buy and use those products as I do all others - for their ultility value in the task, as I will use them!  For instance, I have two of the little Lee "Reloader" presses, not to size .300 Mag cases (although they will certainly do so) but as dedicated decapper and recapper presses and I love 'em.  I load on a Rock Chucker, but I hate the way it spills spent caps all over the floor!  I don't call it junk though.  I do believe the current Lee Classic Cast is a slightly superior press to my RC and its primer catcher actually works!  (Wish I had one but not bad enough to change!)  None of my presses would be very helpful to the large volume shooter who has and needs a Dillion progresive, but surely he wouldn't say my RC is "junk". 

I've reloaded since '65.  I've used a LOT of dies and presses, etc, in that span and neither slam or praise any brand across the board. I don't like all tools from any maker, but I surely don't say those tools I don't care for are junk.  Not when so many others are quite happy with them.  It seems a good loader can make good ammo with most anything, within reason, but a poor loader can't make good ammo with any quality of tools at all.  Does that make sense?

Offline BigJakeJ1s

• Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2009, 04:05:43 PM »
Understand, Levi jeans don't fit me so I don't buy Levi jeans but I don't say Levi makes "junk".

Given Levi's avid monetary and political support of anti-gun groups, I would say they are junk!

Sorry, back to the regular programming...

Andy

Offline cjclemens

• A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2009, 04:24:08 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of Lee dies.  Their idea of a locking ring is pretty weak; that stupid o-ring inside the nut doesnt hold anything in place.  Also, the decapping pin on the sizing die is held in by some silly collet type clamp.  It seems like i'm always tightening it up because it keeps slipping.  I've had a lot better results with either Lyman or RCBS dies.  Lee dies work, but they're definitely not my favorite.