Author Topic: Survivor or Varmit?  (Read 788 times)

Offline mainegobbler

• Trade Count: (0)
Survivor or Varmit?
« on: January 16, 2009, 10:36:40 AM »
So I've been slowly modifying my Pardner turkey gun and its time to move to the stock.  Currently I have a standard synthetic stock on now, but would like to move to a pistol grip.  Can anyone give me any insight or pro's and con's on the Survivor stock and Varmit stock? It seems like the Varmit stock is the better option, but I'm just looking for any opinions on either.  From what I've heard the survivor stock might be small for my big hands shooting a 3.5" 12 gauge.  Which would you go with and why?

Offline mainegobbler

Re: Survivor or Varmit?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 04:03:31 AM »
No one huh?  ::)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 12:20:36 PM »
I think both are ugly, but I'd go with the varmit as it has a better lop for me and the survivor will definitley tranfer the felt recoil like nobody's business. I have a 12ga survivor and I switched to a regular synthetic stock. It's my truck/walkin' around gun, also my avatar.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline shind444

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 04:49:13 AM »
I cannot speak for the varmit stock, as I do not own one. I have a survivor rifle in .308. Survivor stock length is short. Although easy to use when sitting on watch or for varmits, not really quick to handle if your walking and jump something. A conventional stock wood or synthetic without the pistol grip I think is much quicker for point and shoot. I have handled the varmit stock at the gun shop I go to. They are really no different except for their length of pull and some ability to adjust if you at a rest. Depends on what you like I guess. Good luck and God Bless.

Offline mainegobbler

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 03:26:30 AM »
would this be a good alternative to one of the Boyd's thumbhole stocks? I'm not really worried about the "quick to shoulder" aspect of the stock, more for the pistol grip arrangement while sitting at a tree. 

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 01:22:21 PM »
I have a survival stock on my 12 ga pardner with a Polly choke on it, but then I'm not shooting 3 1/2 loads out of it chambered for 3 in only.  But I have a 10 ga and a 3 1/2 Charlies Daly. And I do not see the need to shoot  the 3 1/2 out of a 12 ga to take turkey.  One of my best patterning guns is a 20 ga express magnum. I also hunt turkey with a H&R single shot 16 ga  loaded with nitro custom ammo.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline mecmcb

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 06:35:03 AM »
I'm looking to do this same thing to my turkey gun.  I'm leaning toward the Varmint over the Survivor because it looks like it would be easier to put a good recoil pad on it, and it has a lot more room for your hand.  I tried an ATI collapsible and a Tamer stock, but neither worked.   

Offline mecmcb

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 08:02:40 AM »
I just put the Varmint stock on my Pardner 3.5".  It feels pretty good, the grip is large and thick.  It does look a little odd though.  It has 2 removable spacers for LOP that are 1/2" thick each.  This might be helpful to adjust the length after I put a really thick recoil pad on.  The only other thing is the "rear foot".  It has a foot that I suppose is for benchrest shooting instead of using a rear bag.  I don't think i would ever use it, but its not really in the way either.  I'll post again after I've shot the gun with it on.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 08:21:30 AM »
The adjustable rear support on the Varmint stock is removable if you choose to, but it works extremely well in conjunction with a bipod up front for bench shooting.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain