Author Topic: The END of another season  (Read 593 times)

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
The END of another season
« on: January 18, 2009, 02:20:06 PM »
I didn't do much deer hunting this evening.  Instead I watched 13 turkeys feed on sorghum seeds for two hours directly under my tree stand as the last evening of the 2008-2009 FL deer season came to a close.

I sat and reflected on the 2 bucks and 2 does I helped grow and killed on my land in FL and the 2 bucks and 3 does I killed in SC earlier this season.

My hunting partner, at 71 y.o. had less than a stellar year and didn't get any(!) although he saw, shot at, and hit several, which very uncharacteristically for him and unfortunately were not recovered.

I am content that the money and time spent and hard work in preparation of food plots became the meat I now see in my freezer. 

It was a good season.  I can't wait for September....

Offline deerchaser

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: The END of another season
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 03:45:17 PM »
I too am sad to see it end :'(. It was like a funeral in our camp this evening, everyone was saying their goodbyes with such long faces. Took two bucks this year, first year still hunting with my son! He is 12, I think he enjoyed it more than I did. I sure hate to see it end, we had such a great time!!!!

Offline the_spotdoctor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 09:05:52 PM »
Well Deer season ends here the 31st of Jan. Hate to see it go. I always take the last week of the season off , the rut is in full swing here every year about that time. I usually kill a pretty good one that week, if not more. In my avatar I killed that one a couple of years ago, along with a 7 and 6 in three days, Only killed one 6 pt. this year, I usually don't shoot but one or two does for meat. If he dosen't have decent headgear I usually let them walk. Depends on meat situation and how close the season is to being over. By the way I am in Elmore County , Alabama. I own a 120 acres. I have killed at least 50 deer on this property in the last 8 years. Hope it keeps up. A lot of building and noise has hurt it some. Don't see as many as I used to, also these deer here are getting like Rambo, they are hunted hard from Oct. 15 thru Jan 31st. They see more hunters than Bass Pro shops.

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 05:40:04 AM »
Nice spotdoc...Mine is just shy of 20 acres so the deer participated and I shot real well this season.  I hope you meet with end of season success.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 11:34:16 AM »
I went out for this last weekend. I got skunked this year. >:(

By this time of year they're mostly nocturnal from all the hunting pressure and I didn't even see anything until Sat. night and it was getting almost too dark to shoot. The hammer on my muzzleloader jammed and wouldn't cock. So nothing this year.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 02:07:23 PM »
today was last day of kentuckies archery season still ad the doe tag but wasnt able to get out do to weather. maybe better in the fall.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 03:39:37 PM »
  Yep, gentlemen, I guess we end another one. Settled on an buck and a doe this year. Honestly, I had no more freezer space. My sausage alone takes up half the freezer. Oh well, only 9 months away!

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 04:31:50 PM »
Our season ended last week.  I spent the last weekend in deer camp, jsut before the yankee wx set in, saw plenty of deer but no good shot.  Bad year for me, only got some cubed meat and stew meat left.  BUT!  Now I can start working on those projects that have been on hold!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club