Author Topic: Camo Clothing and acces.  (Read 1138 times)

Offline jhm

• Trade Count: (0)
Camo Clothing and acces.
« on: August 25, 2003, 03:25:11 AM »
The wife and I attendend the hunters Expo. this weekend looking everything over and we were both amazed at the increase in designs and colors of the camo clothing on the market, I was just wondering if more of these are sold as fashion statements rather than fitting in with the real life cover arangement in the woods, ( I have to admit some of them were rather nice looking) BUT in the woods around here you would stick out like a sore thumb.  What pattern is everyones favorite?  I like and use the realtree brand myself :D    JIM

Offline broken arrow

Camo Clothing and acces.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2003, 07:39:51 AM »
The idea behind camo is to break up your sillouhette. When I go into the woods I wear an ensemble with real tree hardwoods, shadow leaf, woodland military, mossy oak breakup and some other thing that was real popular a few years ago. I have yet to be spotted by a deer due to bad camo. I think it's more hype than substance. I outfitted my youngest son with the same hodge-podge assortment. We bought based on the clothing the camo was on. We look for warmth, comfort, quietness, weather-resistance and price. Some sort of camo is nice too.
"Cowards die many times before their death, The valiant never taste of death but once."

Offline wareagleguy

Camo Clothing and acces.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003, 10:04:55 AM »
Funny thing is that deer see mostly in black and white which means camo is useless.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline jhm

Camo Clothing and acces.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2003, 12:37:28 PM »
I understand the black and white or actually different shades of gray the deer see in but breaking up your shape against the foilage is the whole idea of the camo, but like I was saying earlier I believe alot of it is just being sold as fashon. :D    JIM

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Camo Clothing and acces.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2003, 05:36:32 PM »
The best deer hunter I know, my grandfather, has been wearing black and red plad flannel shirts and blue jeans on every deer he has ever taken and thats hunting off the ground. If any of you hunt the thick woods of Mississippi you know that most deer taken are shot at 50 yards or less.

I wear full cammo, face masks, I keep my cloths in trash baggs filled with forage from my hunting area and I still don't kill as many deer as he does.

Good luck and be safe,
Scott

Offline Dave in WV

Camo Clothing and acces.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2003, 06:25:33 PM »
I wear a blaze camo hunting coat (solid blaze wan't an option) and either green wool pants or in warm weather woodland camo pants (tax payers are a wonderful thing). IMHO having brush  between you and the deer or brush or a tree behind you is more important. They seem to have poor depth perception and that makes camo less effective. Jim, yes I too believe many of the new camo patterns are more for show and sales. I don't bow hunt and if I did I would probably wear camo for that since there are more leaves on during most of bow season here.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Mad Dog

• Contributor
Camo Clothing and acces.
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2003, 11:40:09 AM »
Here in Indiana, after the leaves fall off the trees, I wear plain ole carhartt brown overalls.  We have to wear hunter orange anyway.  I have had deer within 15 feet of me.  I think being motionless is more important than camo.  Haven't bought any camo in about 15 yrs.

Mad Dog
Mad Dog

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Camo Clothing and acces.
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2003, 12:54:37 PM »
The key of course is breaking up your outline.  Camo (and yes I wear it for bow season) is more for the hunter than the hunted.  Just my opinion of course. :-)

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline wareagleguy

Camo Clothing and acces.
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2003, 07:52:59 AM »
Sorry but you guys talking about breaking the outline is wrong.  When a person or in this case a deer sees in shades of black and white the outline becomes distorted.  In other words the outline disappears or has no effect.  During World War II color blind people were used to study air photos of enemy sites that were covered in camo to hind troops or weapons.  Using camo to hide or blend didn’t make any difference.  Camo works on us (people that see color) because we are seeing all colors and we loose depth in the color changes which seems to breakup the outline.

Best way to fool a deer’s eyes is remaining still.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Camo Clothing and acces.
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2003, 10:33:06 AM »
:) I think that is what I said, although I should have been a little clearer.  The key to concealment is breaking up your outline.  Camo does no better a job (for deer) than a plaid or even just wearing a vest over your hunting shirt.  Although I do think it makes a difference to cover your face with something . . . especially to avoid eye contact.

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Camo Clothing and acces.
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2003, 03:12:32 PM »
:D I think lots of the new camo stuff is just fashion. I use whatever I have. I agree with longwinters. Deer know if you make eye contact and the they pick up if you have anything shiny on you. Maybe we should look at camo on a black and white TV if anyone remembers what those were.

Offline wareagleguy

Camo Clothing and acces.
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2003, 04:28:10 PM »
:lol: Funny thing is I know this but I still wear camo.  I believe camo is for the mind.  It makes you feel stealthy and no one (or deer) can see you.

I guess its the RAMBO in me.  YO!!! :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Offline chrisk63

Camo Clothing and acces.
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2003, 04:05:52 AM »
i just think the camo looks cool in the pictures i show my wife after the season

Offline Myk

Camo Clothing and acces.
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2003, 08:50:26 AM »
Deer are not totally color blind as in seeing only shades of grey. It is very rare for a human to be totally color blind. Turkey and I think ducks are not color blind at all.
I can see a blood trail, I just can't spot small specks as easily as my friends can. It's not like blood looks exactly like the leaves.

Camo is about breaking up the outline and blending in. That's why the 3D Ghillie suit types work so good. Color blind or not a good sniper isn't going to be seen. WWII was a long time ago, we've come a long way since then.
With the 2D suits you try to get patches to blend in with the background to give the illusion of breaking up the outline or you totally blend in. It doesn't matter what color something sees as long as things blend in.

I use TimberGhost. I hunt from the ground and that seems to blend in best with the bark of the trees around here.

Offline pa ridge-runner

• Avid Poster
Camo Clothing and acces.
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2003, 01:57:33 PM »
:D Just my 2 cents worth,
  I bow hunt with a friend of mine that swears by the 3d leafy suit.I'll admit it sure looks good,especially when the wind blows the leaves on it.
Weather or not the deer can see him or not only the deer know for sure!
I have another friend of mine that claims deer can see blue jeans if worn hunting.
In my 30 years of hunting I have had many deer come within a few feet of me but I stayed perfectly still and they never quite figured what I was.They of course stomp thier hoofs and turn around  and sidways to get some sort of reaction but staying perfectly still is the key.
Besides,how do you think the camo makers will stay in business or in competition with other makers without a new pattern"every" year.As long as they keep coming up with new stuff people will have to have it thinking they might have an edge.
I have seen so many changes in the last 10 to 20 years in hunting gear,clothing,gps's high tech bows and hi tech scopes and all kinds of stuff,some good some not so good.
I believe its all about making money.
The advances made in climbing tree stands and compound bows has been unreal.If you buy something up to date now,it will certainly be an antique in 10 years.Camo clothing patterns change but to me its has all the same purpose,to help you blend in.Weather it works or not I'll never know for sure but it makes me feel better when I have some on. :?  :?

Offline dakotashooter2

• A Real Regular
Camo Clothing and acces.
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2003, 09:53:55 AM »
I can't say that I don't wear camo cloths but it is usually just incidental. Usually the camo I buy has some distinguishing feature not available on other cloths such as gortex, arrangement or number of pockets and ect. I have pretty much gone to mil surplus wool pants in grey or bluish grey but usually have some sort of camo shirt or jacked for the aformentioned reason. If I wear more than one camo item I mix patterns.  Most camo pattern are too small to be effective. The biggest problem with 2D camo is that it does not absorb/reflect light  like natural vegetation does. This is its downfall. Under perfect lighting conditions (like in the advertizing photos) it blends remarkably, unfortunatly most of the time lighting conditions are less than ideal. Large contrasting patterns seem to be more effective overall, I used Predator camo for many yearsand it's open pattern seemed to be more effective (at least to the human eye) in changing light conditions. I believe that buying camo boots, hats, gloves and similar sized articles is futile. Those items generally do not project a large enough image to neccesitate being camo. Even at short range the camo pattern on items of that size will blend to give the appearance of a solid shade. It also seems that a simple grey is effective in nearly every habitat. Camo is like fishing lures more likely to catch the buyer than the game. I'm not saying it doesn't provide an advantage just not nearly as much as is projected. From my own personal experience my $10 wool pants and $15 wool shirt have gotten me as close to game as a $40 pair of camo pants (which by way only last me about a season) and $30 camo shirt (X 3 if you figure in the changing foilage). But whatever makes you feel good.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Camo Clothing and acces.
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2004, 01:14:01 AM »
I agree that the camo industry is thrieving because many of us have bought into the hype.  Seems that the camo is more for us than the deer.  It's all about the fashion statement involved.  That being said, I use Skyline Apparition Camo as much as possible.  They are locally owned and operated here in the Buffalo area and I try to support the local workforce first and foremost whenever possible.  The newer offerings from Skyline seem too busy but the Apparition is a relatively simple 3-D layered camo that is not too busy or jumbled.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense