Author Topic: ROA cowboy load  (Read 818 times)

Offline Tad Houston

• Trade Count: (37)
  • A Real Regular
ROA cowboy load
« on: January 21, 2009, 10:09:54 AM »
Hello, I just got a couple hundred 200gr LRFN bullets from a member here, and was wondering what your favorite cowboy load for the R&D cylinder in a Ruger old army is? Powders I have are W231, unique, universal, red dot, tight group, bullseye and many others.

Thanks!! :)

Offline blhof

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: ROA cowboy load
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 01:52:18 PM »
I've been using 5gr of Unique with both 200gr and 250gr cast bullets with excellent results.  I've only put about 50 rounds through it so far as I recently got my R&D too. I started with 4gr and worked up to 5gr in 1/2gr increments.  I get reasonable groups at 10yds and 20yds and it's economical to shoot and with low recoil, long sessions shouldn't be a problem.

Offline jcn59

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 06:11:06 PM »
Does anyone use Trail Boss in the regular  ROA cylinder?
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 01:56:12 AM »
I tried this. Don't do it. No pressure problems, but every shot was a hangfire. The caps just don't have enough oomph to light off smokeless powder. Velocities were way lower than with BP also, it's not the thing to do.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline jcn59

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 04:34:27 AM »
Thanks, Nobade.   I appreciate your help.  I won't even try it.
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline WILD_WEASEL

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 11:07:25 AM »
I have one of the 5 1/2 SS ROAs with fixed sights fitted with a R&D Conversion also in SS.  I have put hundreds (thousands ?) of 45 Colt reloads through it.  250gr cast SWC or LRN over 7.5gr to 8gr of Unique set off with a Winchester WLP primer.  I also shoot 200gr LRN over 7.5gr of Unique with equally good results.  Both loads shoot to point of aim in my particular ROA.  I also want to try 30gr Pyrodex pellets and 250gr LRN bullets.

Offline The Powder Keg

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 05:21:31 AM »
I tried this. Don't do it. No pressure problems, but every shot was a hangfire. The caps just don't have enough oomph to light off smokeless powder. Velocities were way lower than with BP also, it's not the thing to do.
Are you saying you used percussion (CAPS) in your percussion cylinder with smokeless powder? I hope not!!!
33 years with General Motors Product Service Engineering.
A.S.E. Certified. Retired and Loving It!!!
A servant of Jehovah for 34 years. Exodus 6:3
Steven L Jones