Author Topic: Modernizing the Huntsman/Sidekick  (Read 12737 times)

Offline kody

• Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Modernizing the Huntsman/Sidekick
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2009, 03:51:25 PM »
  Add -ons :  1. Breech plug capable of using a cartridge case primer-holder of a size and type that was strong enough to modify to take pistol/rifle, large or small primers. This would allow the full range of choice of primer ,powder and bullet weights and types so you could tweak to your heart's content.     2.An extractor for the above barrel.    3. Low profile hammer.        4.Full length ramrod capability.       5.Scope ramp with a peep.       6.Fast-twist .45 cal. barrel option.     7.Glove-friendly sized trigger-guard           8.  Will allow current stock parts interchangability .  Ken   

Offline kody

• Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2009, 07:10:40 PM »
I have seen enlarged trigger-guards on some of the other mfrs. M/Ls and have learned the value of them,so that is  one of my wishes. I heartily endorse the ramrod fix, the hammer lowering with a L/R extender made for it, the use of stainless steel, a variety of stockset types and materials, a good recoil pad and the addition of a.45 cal bbl. with the optimum twist and length for it. Most of all, solve the breech plug problem. Just take the latest aftermarket product and try to improve it!           Ken Lacey

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2009, 05:37:23 AM »
The improved barrel won't be available this year for anyone on the fence.  :'(

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2009, 10:49:19 AM »
Thanks Tim, that is what I figured, if ever. :(
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2009, 10:53:46 AM »
Yeah, it's been shelved until 2010.  ::)

Tim

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2009, 04:03:36 AM »
I may be the "odd man out," or possibly even "out of line" here, as it seems the old round ball just doesn't get much play anymore, BUT I would LOVE to see some "slow twist" (like 1:66 or so for .50 and .54 RBs) barrels for plain old patched round balls and a breech that would support the use of percussion caps with a slot to accommodate a capper.

As long as I am dreaming, the cream would be a .36 cal. barrel for squirrels and such.
Jeff: You're not alone!  A .54 slow-twist PRB barrel would be terrific.  Swampman had a mighty good suggestion, too -- a 12-gauge smoothbore general-purpose barrel.  Tubes would be nice, but I hunt grouse in Wisconsin, so cylinder bore would do just fine.
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline Teacher_of_the_Arcane

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2009, 02:59:44 PM »
Hi All,

I own an original 45 cal round ball Huntsman purchased back in the early '80s.....am I going to be able to have one of these new hotrod 50 cal, quick twist barrels to my existing rifle??  I do like the RB I've got....would give me the best of both worlds!!

Lobo in West Virginia

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2009, 03:08:13 PM »
H&R will only fit barrels to frames made 1987 and later as stated on the accessory barrel page.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp

Offline Teacher_of_the_Arcane

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2009, 12:40:10 AM »
Okay.....

So, hopefully, the new Sidekick will be what I'm looking for!!!

Lobo in West Virginia

Offline coop2564

• A Real Regular
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2009, 01:53:02 PM »
I would like to see them make a more modern forend with rounded edges instead of the sqaured off edges! And of coarse a 209 BP such as Busta suggested!
Browning Illusion Bow
Omega Thumbhole .50_NEF Huntsman .50
Knight KP1 .243_Custom Rem 700 .308_Browning Safari Bar .300 WSM, Ruger No.1 30-06
Taurus .41 rem mag Raging Bull_S&W M&P 40C_Browning BuckMark .22_Savage 93R .17HMR

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2009, 01:53:46 PM »
A little late chiming in here but I'd love to see  a 20ga and .32 cal or a .36. If I didn't already have 2 of them I'd be asking for a 12ga.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2009, 05:29:00 PM »
How about a Huntsman Ultra that can take on the Encore.
I am thinking a total stainless SB2 with a thumb hole laminate
or maybe even ultra varmint stock and forearm. (Yeah a muzzle loader with a bipod!)
Now for a barrel. While everybody else argues over 26" or 28" lets blow them away with a 32" magnum.
A gun you can and would shoot magnum loads out of.

Now for the sidekick name. I would go the other way with it.
One that handles like a Handi (or lever gun for that matter).
A muzzle loader for the modern woods hunter.
A short 20-22" barrel SB1 offered in matte black and camo composite or blued and wood.

A full length tamping rod?
Sure but,
I AM NOT WILLING TO GIVE UP INTERCHANGEABLE BARRELS!

Offline a4beltfed2000

• Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2009, 03:13:11 AM »
calibers in 32 45 50

32 for round balls the rest with a higher twist rate for sabots

25 acp or a primer module that could be used with a ejector for removal like used on the standard handirifle/pardner shotgun for extraction. Laminated stocks, and maybe one with the mannlicher stock set
12 ga muzzleloader barrel with removable chokes.

how about a stock set with a patch box or buttstock storage!
H&R/NEF 10, 12,16 20 28 ,410 .243 45 357 45lc. 1919a4, uzi, sten mK 2,3,5 M2HB, 1917a1, ak74(2) amd 65, RPK (2) 11 aks and 50 other guns....

Offline LHitchcox

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2009, 04:05:52 AM »
My vote would be for a .36 roundball barrel. The .36 seems to be less finicky about load development than the .32. I also like the fact that the shooter can buy a 5# box of Hornady buckshot in .350 and be set for bullets at a very economical price.

I would also go for a 12 ga. shotgun barrel with jug choke for turkey.

Offline slayer

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2009, 04:51:01 PM »
I love my wood/blued 26 inch barrel Sidekick. I wouldn`t change a thing, except the breech plug design. I even like the 209 carriers. I like my guns plain and the Sidekick screams plain!! Also add .32-.45-.50-.54 and .58 choices so we can get the barrels fitted to them. I`d buy a .32-.54 and .58

Offline lefty41

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2009, 10:48:36 AM »
Echo what LHitchcox said!
.36, .54. & 12ga
Jerry Miller (lefty41)
"In God we trust"

Offline GLHolmes

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2009, 04:31:23 AM »
The Huntsman definitely needs a better ramrod.

However, I, for one, love the primer carriers!  It's easy to tell that the gun is ready to fire and they make for great handling when it is freezing temperatures outside and your hands are numb.

Offline carbinecasey

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2009, 03:03:00 AM »
Greetings

I would like to see a 12,16,or 20 gauge shotgun barrel for turkey hunting. But since I have one of the older Huntsmans, and brand new pistol grip designed shotgun, black synthetic or camo, 24" barrel with screw-in turkey choke, 209 priming system, drilled and tapped for a scope, with rail included and hammer extension. If it comes out I might just be all over that.

Carbinecasey

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2009, 01:48:51 PM »

I'm really late in this fight but something that's missing from the muzzleloading market is a RB barrel in .40 cal. the above poster was right about the .36 being less finicky than the .32 but the .40 is even better yet and it can be used for deer or tree rats here in Fla.

I'd be another one that would rather have a RB barrel in any caliber for a ML. A .45 RB would be a do all rifle for me. Savage came out with a ML that shoots smokeless powder. I'm not saying I'd want one but from a marketing standpoint I could see where it would have value.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Lucky Joe

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2009, 01:46:36 PM »
Many good ideas, at the moment I would like a .36 cal. ML barrel. Probably a slow twist although I do have a mould to make the TC .36 Maxi.
Lucky Joe

"There's always a way."

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2012, 05:01:52 AM »
Tim,
Do you know if there has there been any R&D movement on any of the ideas recommended?
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2012, 05:33:53 AM »
No, I don't have an inside contact in H&R/Marlin/Remington any more, he left Remington in Dec 2010 and went to work for Colt. The latest version of the re-released Huntsman acc barrels are the same old version AFAIK.  :-\

Tim

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2012, 06:28:24 PM »
Tim,
On 3/5/09, you stated in replies #32 & 34 that: "The improved barrel won't be available this year for anyone on the fence.  :'(" & "Yeah, it's been shelved until 2010.  ::)". 

I'm curious were any changes made to those Huntsman barrels made from 2010 on?  If so how can you tell them apart?  Were the changes physical (ex. different sights), or structural (different type steel used)?

What size breech plugs (5/8" or 7/8") were used on the "newer type" Huntsman barrels?  Or were no changes made at all?

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2012, 05:02:09 AM »
Someone that has both will have to answer that, I already stated they're the same as far as I know, Huntsmans aren't legal in Washington state ML seasons due to enclosed 209 ignition.

Tim

......The latest version of the re-released Huntsman acc barrels are the same old version AFAIK.  :-\

Tim

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2012, 08:15:53 AM »
Thank you, Tim. 

Is there anyone that has a newer Huntsman, that can shed some light on this?  For example, what year did H&R switch over to the 5/8" breech plug? It was changed over in 2005 for both the Huntsman and Sidekick, info was in the FAQ's, thanks to Busta. 

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,227151.msg1099257347.html#msg1099257347

When was the 26" barrel length added?  Were the sights changed? 

Please list the prefix on your Huntsman if you purchased the entire gun (so we can figure out what year it was manufactured in), or the year you had the Huntsman barrel fitted to your Handi, by the factory.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2012, 04:41:46 AM »
Thank you, Tim. 

Is there anyone that has a newer Huntsman, that can shed some light on this?  For example, what year did H&R switch over to the 5/8" breech plug? It was changed over in 2005 for both the Huntsman and Sidekick, info was in the FAQ's, thanks to Busta. 

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,227151.msg1099257347.html#msg1099257347

When was the 26" barrel length added?  Were the sights changed? 

Please list the prefix on your Huntsman if you purchased the entire gun (so we can figure out what year it was manufactured in), or the year you had the Huntsman barrel fitted to your Handi, by the factory.

OSR,

The 26" barrels and the Williams Fire-Sights both came out in 2004.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2012, 06:05:56 AM »
Busta,

I guess that based on your information, that any Huntsman barrel that is 26" long, or has the Wiliams Fire-Sights sights installed, one can safely assume were manufactured after 2004.

Thank you very much for the information.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2012, 05:00:32 PM »
Busta,

I guess that based on your information, that any Huntsman barrel that is 26" long, or has the Wiliams Fire-Sights sights installed, one can safely assume were manufactured after 2004.

OSR,

You're welcome.

If it is factory, that would be correct. My 2003 Huntsman wears Williams Fire-Sights, and a Williams WGRS-HR when out West. These were both purchased from the old H&R CS, and replaced the POJ plastic that was on there.

JFYI, the blackened brass ramrods came out in 2005, as well as the breech plug change from 7/8" to 5/8" diameter.

These are all indicators as to what vintage some of these rifles area at a glance.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2012, 06:55:11 PM »
Busta,

OSR,

You're welcome.

If it is factory, that would be correct. My 2003 Huntsman wears Williams Fire-Sights, and a Williams WGRS-HR when out West. These were both purchased from the old H&R CS, and replaced the POJ plastic that was on there.

JFYI, the blackened brass ramrods came out in 2005, as well as the breech plug change from 7/8" to 5/8" diameter.

These are all indicators as to what vintage some of these rifles area at a glance.

Busta,

Is this blackened ramrod the same as the older rod, just a different finish? 

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2012, 07:23:39 AM »
BB,

Yes, same thing. It is brass underneath the Brass Black, or whatever treatment they put on it.

Same poor jag on the end. That is why I had some custom jags made up for mine that will load pointed bullets, and hold a patch going down and back up.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member