Author Topic: Can an Elite 3200 handle a .375H&H Mag?  (Read 650 times)

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
Can an Elite 3200 handle a .375H&H Mag?
« on: August 25, 2003, 07:43:01 AM »
YES!

I have an Elite 3200 1.5x-4.5x-32mm mounted on my .375H&H.  For those of you interested in the "rifle" portion of this report, go to the "bolt action rifle" section and the post titled "Guys, you aint gonna believe this." This post, however, is dealt to primarily discuss the performance of the scope.

The rifle is a Winchester M70 Classic Stainless and it is mounted with High Warne Silver Quick Detachable Maxima rings and bases.  These rings are very heavy, but also very heavy-duty.  Although the scope only has a 32mm objective, thus needing only low rings, I ordered the high rings so as to avoid any obstruction of view from the open sights.

So, as for the scope.  It has a stated 3.6" of eye relief which I would normally think is way too short for such a hard kicking rifle.  As some of us have already posted, either in this section or the bolt action rifle section, it appears that different manufacturers calculate eye relief differently.  For example, some measure it from the actual glass - but the distance from that point to the end of the actual scope may be half and inch or so.  In any event, even after about 15 or so shots, the scope NEVER HIT ME.  Is this surprising?  Well, kinda, especially when you consider that a .375 kicks like a mule.  Granted, I was also wearing a PAST magnum recoil shield pad, but still - that deals with recoil, not necessarily the affect of a scope's eye relief.

What about the optics?  Well, in my opinion, the glass in the 4200 is better.  The resolution is sharper - edge to edge, and it just seems better.  Granted, at first glance you really can't tell the difference, but when you actually study the same object from both scopes during the same time, you can tell the difference.  It may not seem like a big difference, especially during bright daylight, but the difference is there, especially during low-light hours.

What about the tracking?  In one word - PERFECT.  Everytime I made the adjustments, which were very easy and could be done by hand without a coin, the bullet would move in that exact spot.

What about repeatable performance?  In another word - AWESOME.  Let me put it to you this way.  I shot 2-shot groups (because it was 95 degrees in Miami) and my best groups were about 1/8" at 50 yards and 1/4" at 100 yards!  THAT'S OUTSTANDING.  

Granted, time will tell how long this scope will last on a hard-kicking rifle like the .375, but I can tell you right now that any lesser quality scope would have been destroyed within the first few shots.  Heck, I have seen Simmons, BSA, Tasco, and other brands (which models vary with different brands) and have literally seen reticles fall apart, adjustments go out of whack, and even hear noises inside the scope - and that was just with standard cartrdiges like .30-06.  

Okay, Okay, Okay.  I'm certain that there are many of you out there that have Simmons, BSA, Tasco, and other scopes on your rifles for years with no problem.  I am NOT saying that ALL of these scopes are junk, nor am I intended to offend anyone.  Rather, all I am saying is what I said - I have seen these scopes fall apart on standard cartridges which means that they would never hold up to the recoil on a .375.  So my point is, if the Elite 3200 can withstand the recoil of a .375, then you all should feel very confident that the 3200 will perform well on your less recoiling rifles.

Keep in mind that Bushnell says that their 3200s have been recoil tested to the equivalent of 5,000 shots from a .375H&H, and the 4200s to 10,000 rounds.  Keep in mind that Leupold says 5,000 for their Vari-X III.  Either way, although I certainly haven't shot 5,000 rounds, I have some level of comfort in their testing.  

Speaking of Leupold, I was thinking about getting a Vari-X III due to it's long eye relief.  However, like I said, Bushnell's "reported" 3.6" was plenty, and as for price, the 3200 1.5x-4.5x-32mm with Firefly reticle was about $200.  The comparable Leupold Vari-X III was about $250 MORE!!!  Granted, although I am not a huge fan of Leupolds, I think that the Vari-X III has better glass than the 3200, but not by much - Especially not for double the money.

Folks, the Elite 3200 has to be the BEST VALUE for a scope in the $200 range.  I still advocate the 4200 over the 3200 because it has better glass, but could you ask for any better performance from the Elite 3200 for the price?  I couldn't.

Zachary

Offline Dave in WV

Can an Elite 3200 handle a .375H&H Mag?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2003, 07:30:42 AM »
Zachary, great post. Ever consider being a gun writer after you retire?   :grin:   I wonder if the high rings help keep you away from the scope? Maybe a friend could video you shooting your new rig. (maybe you wouldn't want to watch it :eek: ) If you haven't had to field test the rain guard I can say it works great. You seem ready if a Cape Boar charges now.  :)
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline RandyWakeman

• RandyWakeman