Author Topic: What scope for a BLR in .358Win?  (Read 694 times)

Offline UMFAN1

• Trade Count: (0)
What scope for a BLR in .358Win?
« on: August 25, 2003, 08:57:35 AM »
I'm buying a BLR in .358 Win. and am looking for your opinions on what size and brand of scope to mount on it. My budget is about $250.00
.35 CALIBER MAN

Offline 308shooter

Scope BLR in .358
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2003, 10:50:42 AM »
UMFAN, I'm a UM alum. I've used the burris 4x compact, and the burris 1.75-5x fullfield II. I still have the 4x on the gun, since the .358 took the fullfieds internals apart and gave me a bunch of parallax. I really recommend the compact 4x. Good scopes forthe money ( about $170 at the wholesalers)  Thanks, Gordon

Offline Smokey

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003, 12:03:04 PM »
After a LOT of research, I just ordered a Sightron 1.5-6x42 for a Mauser I'm having built with two barrels - .358 Winchester and .260 Remington.  The .358 is an ideal deer/elk cartridge out to 250 yds.  If your pleasure is elk, you know that they are often found in the black timber or are moving at dawn and dusk, all of which represent low-light conditions.  I read recently that the human eye can only let in around 4.5 to 5 mm of light.  At the highest magnification (in this case, 6x), the Sightron lets in a full 7 mm of light.  To calculate the amoung of light a scope lets in at any given levek of magnification, divide the objective lens size by the magnification (in my case 42/6=7).  Of all the scopes I researched in your price range (Nikon, Leupold V XII, Burris, Weaver, Redfield, Bauch and Lomb), nothing let in as much light as the Sightron, bar none, across the full range of magnification.  Of course, in the lower magnifications, all scopes allow in more light than the human eye can use.  Still, you want to be sure that, at the highest magnification, you give yourself the most light possible...and that's what the Sightron does.

I also chose a 1.5-6 because I hardly ever go past 6x on my Nikon 3-9.  For shots out to the max range for the .358 Winny, you simply don't need all the extra magnification.  If you want it anyway, check out the other Sightron scopes with more magnification.  I'd also recommend that you read the reviews on the Bear Basin Outfitters website for all the brands you're considering.  Their webite can be reached at http://www.bearbasin.com/catalog.htm.

There are a lot of good scopes out there so do your homework.  Oh, by the way, Bear Basin sells the Sightron 1.5-6x42 for $249.  See my second post on the How much magnification needed in a variable under 250 yds? below for some more reasons why I selected the Sightron.  

Randy Wakeman, on the Chuck Hawks website ("Scoping it Out" article has this to say about Sightron products:

"Sightron touts their 7 layer lens coatings. Ahem. Is 6 enough, but 8 too many? Back in World War II the only optics widely coated at all were the Japanese Navy binoculars. Where uncoated lens lost 1% light transmission per lens surface, the early single-layer coats knocked it down to one half of 1%, a vast improvement. Now, modern multi-coated lenses offer light losses of one tenth of 1% per lens surface. What we are left with is marketing hyperbole over whose multi-coat is "best." More noise than substance, the magnesium fluoride (and variant) coatings from all major scope makers work well. Sightron scopes are made in the good old USA.

I have tested a Sightron 3 x 9 SII, and found it to be one of the best-kept secrets in the industry. Their adjustments are positive, precise, and repeatable. There is something to their "ExacTrack" full-contact internals after all! The scope has excellent resolution, displaying detail in low light that only more expensive scopes can equal or better. Sightron's broadband Rev-Coat 7 coating is more than just noise; it is a superb hunting scope. It is currently one of the best scopes for the money, and worthy of anyone's consideration."

Good luck!

Offline Smokey

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2003, 12:16:01 PM »
Correction:  The reviews I referred to are in the scopes section of the Midway website:
http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=3&CategoryID=700&CategoryString=657+***

Smokey

Offline UMFAN1

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2003, 04:42:57 PM »
Thanks for the input Gordon & Smokey. I've been considering buying the Nikon Monarch 4x or Elite 3200 3-9x40. Just looking to see others thoughts about what will be a good match for the BLR.
I will be using it for Deer in the Michigan woods, Black bears in the eastern woods and some elk hunting out west.  :grin:
.35 CALIBER MAN

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2003, 05:50:29 PM »
The artical is incorrect. You lose 5% of available light at each uncoated air to glass surface. None at glass to glass. No 20 surfaces wouldn't mean you had zero but darn near it.  :-D

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2003, 06:37:17 PM »
The Nikon Monarch 1.4x4.5 & 2x7 are in your price range. Zachary is sold on his Bushnell Elite 3200 1.5x4. I'm a lower power/wide field of view fan. My son has a Monarch 3x9 and is very pleased with it. He rates it as good or better than his VariX III 2x8.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein