Author Topic: Army cutting retirement to WW2 Alaska Scouts  (Read 815 times)

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Army cutting retirement to WW2 Alaska Scouts
« on: January 22, 2009, 11:17:31 PM »
Just heard on TV news tonight that the Army had decided to cut retirement to the few remaining Alaska Native men who served as unpaid scouts guarding coastal Alaska during WW2.  A couple days ago I read how there are desperate fuel and food shortages in some of our western Alaska villages. Some places fuel is being flown in at a cost of $9 to $11 bucks a gallon. A few old folks are squeaking by on that $300 or so retirement check. Quite a few folks report skipping meals to feed the kids and to buy fuel.

I post this here as there has been an awful lot of good support for our veterans. A lot of younger men from western Alaska have done a few terms in Iraq, Kuwait, and maybe Afganistan.  Will they too be cut off later?

I think this action stinks and I hope the good vets here will speak up for the old Scouts.  There can't be a lot left, and many desperately need that retirement check.

Also time for our new senator to show some stuff here. I don't think the Army would have dared to do this when Stevens was in office.

Obama made a big deal on a Montana reservation about caring for Native Americans. Now is a chance for him to show he meant it.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: Army cutting retirement to WW2 Alaska Scouts
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 09:19:21 PM »
One of Obama's methods for cut back the national debt?
Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Army cutting retirement to WW2 Alaska Scouts
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 06:32:46 AM »
S.B. it is a little soon for Obama to drop the hammer on the Scouts.  Because of the timing the prime suspect is the Bush Adminstration.  It has only been four days.

http://www.sacbee.com/827/story/1566743.html

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.