Author Topic: 270 WSM for Whitetail loads?  (Read 640 times)

Offline buckfever 1

• Trade Count: (0)
270 WSM for Whitetail loads?
« on: January 24, 2009, 02:00:50 AM »
Anybody load for this caliber?  How have the loads shot and what did they do for terminal performance?   Thanks Buckfever

Offline Savage_99

• Contributor
Re: 270 WSM for Whitetail loads?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 04:59:17 AM »
buckfever 1,

I have shot a few buck deer with the 140 Nosler BT and the performance was ok.

Now I have switched to the 140 gr Berger VLD which is supposed to be the fastest killing deer bullet.

Of course shot location is so important.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 05:11:42 AM »
I use the 130gr Ballistic tips in my 270WSMs.
I have taken more than 80 deer with them.
Ranges have been as close as 40yds to as far as 500yds and all shots were complete successes.
Not a single deer shot with them has ever traveled more than 40yds, most with complete pass throughs.
The BTs do mess up a lot of meat at times and I don't care for that but my rifles love them so I stick with them.
Three shots under a dime at 100 so I don't dare change them.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 11:44:08 AM »
"Messes up a lot of meat" Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Not around here, that just wouldn't do, as the first and foremost reason to hunt is the meat for the table.

What do I use?

Well at present a 300 win. mag.

Little big , you ask?

My answer is, there ain't no such a thing as too dead!

Ok, then how do I get along with a 300 Win. Mag for whitetail deer AND not cause excessive meat damage?

Simple answer. Not only am I using a 300 Win. Mag, but I am also shooting a 165gr. bullet at 3200fps +/-.

The secret is, premium bullets, in my case taking the form of the 165gr. Nosler partition.

Truly, over 30 + years of using the Nosler partition, I have seen hits which with a typical cup and core bullet or bullets of Blastic Tip type expansion, would have damaged extreme amounts of good eating.

Over those years, bullets of the Nosler partition quality level have proven their worth for taking game, yet not being overly distructive.

And this is important, that has held true even with the poor hits I have eather made or witnessed.

As long as I can afford to do otherwise, bullets which prove to be meat distroyers, will not be shot for hunting, no matter how small the groups they shoot.

I know this is just IMHO, but at my age I am allowed opinions - benefit of age -  so there.

Have a good day and -------Keep em coming!

CDOC

300 Winmag

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 12:11:41 PM »
"Messes up a lot of meat" Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Not around here, that just wouldn't do, as the first and foremost reason to hunt is the meat for the table.

What do I use?

Well at present a 300 win. mag.

Little big , you ask?

My answer is, there ain't no such a thing as too dead!

Ok, then how do I get along with a 300 Win. Mag for whitetail deer AND not cause excessive meat damage?

Simple answer. Not only am I using a 300 Win. Mag, but I am also shooting a 165gr. bullet at 3200fps +/-.

The secret is, premium bullets, in my case taking the form of the 165gr. Nosler partition.

Truly, over 30 + years of using the Nosler partition, I have seen hits which with a typical cup and core bullet or bullets of Blastic Tip type expansion, would have damaged extreme amounts of good eating.

Over those years, bullets of the Nosler partition quality level have proven their worth for taking game, yet not being overly distructive.

And this is important, that has held true even with the poor hits I have eather made or witnessed.

As long as I can afford to do otherwise, bullets which prove to be meat distroyers, will not be shot for hunting, no matter how small the groups they shoot.

I know this is just IMHO, but at my age I am allowed opinions - benefit of age -  so there.

Have a good day and -------Keep em coming!

CDOC

Normally I would agree but when you have a rifle that doesn't seem to like any other style of bullet in factory (I am not set up to load the WSMs yet) but will keep three factory B-TIPS under a dime you go with what the gun likes.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Lead Poison

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 07:33:39 PM »
Keep shooting those Ballistic Tips and just place your shots behind the shoulder. Problem solved, no messed up shoulders, backstraps, or hams.  ;D

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 08:37:34 PM »
Yep, in a perfect world I would totally agree.

However, I have hunted enough years, seen enough of my own and other folks game to know for that anyone of many reasons the hit isn't always where it should be.

And that ladies and gentlemen is where the premum bullets earn their keep.

By the way, lungs - behind the shoulder IS my shot of choice but over the years that imperfect world factor has made an appearence on occasion.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag