Author Topic: 7-30 waters?  (Read 435 times)

Offline craig elverud

• Trade Count: (0)
7-30 waters?
« on: January 25, 2009, 02:15:33 PM »
I reloaded some 7-30 waters today and shot a few different loads the question is why is the case neck smoked on the heaver loads and not on the lighter loads. powder w748 starting 31gr. leaves the case clean the next load 33gr. and 34gr. smokes the neck this is 139gr hornady out of a contender carbine the cases have been fired in this with factory load to start with.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: 7-30 waters?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 04:29:01 PM »
Craig,

That's a good question. Mine does the same. I've never thought of posting the question. I've always thought it was because the 30-30 case was necked down to the 7mm, and that was just enough when loaded up with the heavier bullets and near max powder loads, to give a little "blow-back" while pushing the smaller diameter bullet down the tube.

But that's just my unscientific opinion of it.

Dave

Offline FW Conch

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 10:08:42 PM »
 ??? Nope, it happens on my 30-06 & my 308 also, but not all loads.  I think some of it has to do with the

fact that production chambers & throats have fairly large tolerances - also unscientific !   ;)  Jim
Jim

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 04:08:12 AM »
Well then....there you have it. All of the answers too your questions right here. Not necessarily the right answers! But by God!!! Answers none the less!!!

Offline craig elverud

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 12:41:45 PM »
Dave are you reloading cannelured bullets also ? maybe not crimping is causing this. I'll see if I can seat the bullet out passed the cannelure to see if that makes a difference. anybody else have any ideas. thanks craig

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 02:27:56 AM »
Craig,

I'm loading Nosler's...and since I'm having a current case of CRS (Can't Remember S$%^) I don't recall if noslers have a cannelure or not. But, I load my Noslers at 50 to 30 thousands from the lands. So....cannelure's have nothing to do with my reloading. At least with the 7-30. But....I'll check this and get back too you.

Dave