Author Topic: CCW Laws and Regulations  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Leatherstocking

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
CCW Laws and Regulations
« on: January 25, 2009, 03:33:20 PM »
I have done some searching but have not been able to find any clear language on CCW rules for NY. I am aware of some of the basic rules such as where you can not carry (ie. schools), but I have a lot of questions. Does anyone know of any clear references I could go to for an answer to questions like (specific to NY):

- I know that you can carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle, but can that gun be in the vehicle when you are not in it?
- I know you can't carry in schools or on school grounds, but where else can you NOT carry?
- several others I was thinking of the other day but that I can't think of at the moment

Thanks.
NRA Life Member
New York State Conservation Council Member

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise" - Aldo Leopold (1949)

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: CCW Laws and Regulations
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 03:35:04 PM »
POST OFFICE
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 06:59:43 PM »
Handgun carry concealed in NEW YORK?  ???

You're kidding right?  :o There are what maybe 100 folks who've been issued one unless they are some big whig or work as security for them?  ::)

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 01:07:40 AM »
If you have a handgun permit which does not entitle you to conceal carry:

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/nys-ccw.html

New York is a restrictive "may issue" state. A carry and conceal weapon (CCW) permit may be issued to someone who can demonstrate a sufficient need. The required justification and issuing authority varies by county. The following steps do not apply to New York City, where it is virtually impossible to obtain a CCW permit.

Step1 Be 21 years of age or honorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces.

Step2 Pick up an application packet from your issuing authority. This is usually the county clerk, county sheriff or a local police station. The contents of the application packet will vary by county but will include the State Application (PPB-3) for a concealed weapon permit.

Step3 Submit the completed application packet to the location designated by your issuing authority. You also will need to provide your fingerprints, pass a background check and justify your requirement for a CCW permit. The issuing authority has six months to process your application or give a reason for the delay. Some counties also require a mental health background check.

Step4 Pay the required fees. The fees for the background check and the license are set by the county. Some counties also charge a fee for fingerprinting.

Step5 Renew your permit as determined by your county. Nassau, Suffolk and Westchester county permits are valid for five years. Permits from all other counties except for New York City are good for life.

Now in most if not all states you can not carry into County, State or Federally owned buildings.  I do not know if New York has any state pre-emptive laws which pre-cludes any city laws NYC seems to set it's own laws like San Fran then looses in court.  Anyway you best check with some office there in New York State

New York Gun Laws
http://www.nysrpa.org/nygunlaws.htm

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 02:02:05 AM »
Yes Boss, there is concealed carry in neu yawk.  Actually, there are about 36,000 permits issued in neu yawk city but a major complaint about that is that most may be issued to people who show little or no need, which is where the 'demonstrated need' theory becomes pure political bs.  But, if you are a sports name, a politician including chuck the schmuck schumer, a actor and maybe private security or the like you can get one.   If you feel you need one because of the local social conditions, you are schmidt outta luck.

The Montanan is mostly right.  Some counties consider themselves 'must issue' if there is not a reason to deny - after all, this is the land of lawsuits and more than one individual has taken a county Sheriff to task on this issue - such as denying the permit without justification or delaying the permit process to 'test an individual's character'.  And, from what I have heard, some individual counties have to be hit hard - like twice on the same spot with a 2x4 before they listen.  Even the Albany County DA was told that if he didn't open the process up to a 'must issue' without subjective delays he could be personally held accountable, and the process has eased up. 

One young friend for who I referenced was told - 6 months, that's the law.  Actually, that's the limit.  Then the lawyer can show up with the subpoena in hand if the need be.  Depending on who your local judge is, the process can go very quickly.  We have a 'must issue' policy in this county and the process simply goes to the time limit. 

As to where it is not 'legal' to carry concealed - schools, post offices, county, state and federal buildings - all 'gun free' zones but just where they need to be carried.  Mikey.

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 02:10:26 AM »
Try Handgunlaw.us

Offline Leatherstocking

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 03:45:02 PM »
Thanks for the references and Mikey - thanks for setting folks straight on NY. There's a lot more of NY than just NYC. It ain't as bad as folks think. Heck, I live in Dutchess, a mere 75 miles north of the big rotten apple and our county is pretty dang good about permits. And I just did an amendment that took only a little over a week. Not bad. Especially considering they told me it would be 6 weeks due to the backlog created since November.
NRA Life Member

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise" - Aldo Leopold (1949)

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 03:58:08 PM »
you keep  re-electing  schumer.......why??
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 01:43:11 AM »
45-70.gov:  Let's please get this one straight.  We do not keep electing that piece of stinking pond scum; the liberal idiots who live in one or two boroughs in the neu yawk city area continue to elect him.  The remaining 57-59 counties that constitute the remainder of nys do not.  Those 57-59 counties are loaded with the fools who elected klinton and then never saw her for how ever many years she had been in office. 

klinton chose to inhabit harlem where her office was and live on long island - I do not believe she ever ventured upstate.  She was certainly nowhere to be seen during the ice storm that hit a few years ago and she was so reviled in many upstate areas that they never announced any of her upstate travels before she arrived.

Her replacement however, Kirsten Gillibrand, is an upstate new yorker born and raised.  She has a 100% approval rating from the NRA, comes from a hunting and farming family and community which considers hunting a tradition and a part of our heritage (upstate) and culture.  She has already told carolyn mccarthy, in public, that her family kills their own Thanksgiving dinner and mccarthy is so dang whizzed that she was not appointed and that Gillibrand has a pro-gun approach that she has threatened to run against Gillibrand in 2010 or find someone who will. 

Gillibrand on one hand vows to fight against violence in the cities - I think she should propose a ban on hunting within city limits but otherwise I doubt she is going to cave into the likes of shumer and move to ban guns; and on the other hand she is very vocal about supporting hunting rights.  Shumer also said that Gillibrand's area of new york is like Montana - if I was from Montana I would be horribly pissed at having been compared to anything new yorkish but that shows shumers stupidity - he wasn't talking hunting and fishing and sports, he was talkin' 'bout bein' like the wild west.  I think if I was from Montana I would contact my State Senators and have them demand a apology from shumer for the insult........

shumer tried very hard to get gillibrand to commit to a draconian gun law approach to halt violence in the cities and gillibrand would not budge.  She agreed there was a lot of 'common ground' where things might be 'workable' to help curb gun violence in the cities but that she fully supports the rights of hunters all across the state.  shumer also posits that he was the 'silent force' behind her selection when indeed I believe it was just a smart move by paterson and shumer is trying to soak up more adoration.  You can believe that he was trying hard to get gillibrand to swing toward gun control and she simply would not.. 

The media is really whizzed at paterson because he did not follow their lead and select cuomo to replace klinton, and so the very next day they come out with a Siena College Poll that shows cuomo to be neck and neck with paterson going into the next election.  Now guys, let's talk about some sour grapes here.  cuomo is italian and catholic; Siena college is italian and catholic.  Duh, go figure.  when was the last time anyone saw a blind, black catholic priest in a catholic school (I'm sure someone has...)

Paterson however made a great choice - he and we both now have solid upstate representation, and a hunter to boot - this is just what we need here, democrap or not.  So the media says paterson is now behind in their polls yet he has picked up all or most of upstates support.  This is sort of like telling nyc they do not run the state and man are they ever whizzed about that. 

paterson did well in selecting gillibrand and that will help upstate's economy and help keep our gun rights.  nyc is whizzed, and that's too bad.  The media is also horribly whizzed and that's also too bad for them - they will try and continue to hype cuomo but I believe this will come back to a upstate-downstate run in the next gubernatorial election and by that time paterson will have enough upstate support with the help of gillibrand to further keep the state out of the hands of downstate democraps.  Just a thought.  Mikey.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 03:02:29 AM »
I believe that she has already announced that she'll be changing to an antigun stance now that she represents the entire state. She always was but had to do what was needed to get elected in a pro gun district and keep faking it until she got where it was OK to come out of the closet so to speak. Liberals like muzlims lie to cover up their real intentions until they are in a position to do as they please.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 05:42:01 AM »
she  is  maybe  the  best democrat
and  the rebuplican  and 3rd party guy  she  last defeated  are  irrelavent

if  grey beard is  right  how many of you democrats [i know your out there[
will  leave  the democratic party??

lets  keep an  eye  on  this  one
any  pledges  to leave  the party  over  it  if she  turns on  us ??

Offline Leatherstocking

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 01:26:59 PM »
I don't think she is faking her pro gun stance or anythng else she stands for. And I agree 100% with everythng Mikey wrote. I was going to make many of the same points last night but didn't have time. Well said Mikey. The only thing I will add is that along with the stupid comment comparing upstate NY to Montana, Schumer also made a statement that Gillibrand's district is not representative of most of NY. Holy Cow! I guess he also has never been outside NYC!

Time will tell. I'm sure her A rating from the NRA may drop a little, but again I think Paterson and her instead of Spitzer and Hillary is a big step forward for this state. And sorry, I can not pledge to leave the democratic party, cuz I'm already registered republican ;D. Albeit probably more moderate than most around this site.
NRA Life Member

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 11:24:10 PM »
I used to hate going across the GW and delivering into Long Island and Queens.  But upstate NY is some real beautiful country.  I used to run into Vestal and the area is just awesome.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 04:56:10 AM »
Boss:  you said "I believe that she has already announced that she'll be changing to an antigun stance now that she represents the entire state. She always was but had to do what was needed to get elected in a pro gun district and keep faking it until she got where it was OK to come out of the closet so to speak. Liberals like muzlims lie to cover up their real intentions until they are in a position to do as they please".

Nope!  No such thing.  All she has said is that there is 'common ground' to explore in fighting gun violence in the cities.  She has said no such thing about changing her position on gun ownership.

"Liberals like muzlims lie to cover up their real intentions until they are in a position to do as they please".  I can agree with that but she is neither liberal or muslim.  She is a upstate democrap from a rural, mostly republican area.  Her family has always enjoyed hunting and they are farmers - you don't get liberal nothing from a farm family, you get hard work and solid ethics and that shows up here.  I mentioned before that shumer has tried to twist her a couple of different ways and has used her words to indicate she is onhis side of gun control but will someone please tell me where the phrase 'common ground' to explore fighting gun violence in cities becomes a statement for total mccarthy/shumer/klinton gun control.  It just doesn't match. 

Now, I'll tellya what.  Rather that stir the pot of conjecture and fear, why don't we or you ask her directly.  You have the influence to do that.  You are well spoken and well enough written to e-mail her and ask her directly for her response to (give yourself) 4 or 5 specific points regarding gun ownership, whether it's tied directly to hunting, the 2nd Amendment, possible support for the '3 Strikes Program, and whatever else you want to ask.

You can introduce yourself properly and provide you own/manage/operate one of the largest hunting and sporting websites in the US with (x# members and over 1 million posts) and that many of your members, including those from new york state, have raised concerns about your (her) position on a number of issues.  Detail the issues and ask her for her response so you can help resolve the conjecture and concerns voiced by many of your membership.  I will be glad to help you with the content if you would like but for goodness sake, you have already termed her a turncoat before she has even voted on any proposal.  C'mon Boss, you can't hang someone until they have committed the crime.  Either give her a chance to prove or disprove herself or get clarification to support or resolve your concerns directly.  Mikey.