Author Topic: AMT Back up 380  (Read 2524 times)

Offline southarkrob

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Avid Poster
AMT Back up 380
« on: January 26, 2009, 06:37:39 AM »
I was looking at an AMT Backup 380 at the local gunshop and was wondering if it was a decent pistol. It was stainless and made in Covina, Callifornia. Anybody carry one of these....looking for help before I purchase.... thanks Robbie...I can get it for $225

Offline DakotaMike

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: AMT Back up 380
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 01:43:31 PM »
Rob,
I have carried an AMT .45 backup for several years and have probably cycled 2500 rounds of various ammo through the little pistol with absolutely no problems. I really value the stainless steel construction for corrosion resistance and I like the fact there is nothing on the pistol to hang up on your clothing when you draw. Hope this helps.
Dakota Mike

Offline southarkrob

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 02:42:50 PM »
Is $225 a good price for this little pistol???  I like it because it has a safety and its stainless steel...been looking at the Kel-tecs .. but I think I like this little pistol better...thanks Robbie

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 02:56:59 PM »
Robbie:  before you purchase that pistol please conduct the following test:  make certain the firearm is empty of course, remove the magazine and retract the slide fully to the rear to cock the action.  Place the firearm on safety. Re-insert the magazine.  Pull the trigger.  If the trigger depresses and the gun goes 'click', get the Kel-Tec or a Ruger LCP.

The AMT Back Up 380, or at least the ones I have known, will allow you to pull the trigger (under stress) while the gun is on safety, which requires you to fully retract the slide to recock the piece - this also means ejecting a live round to chamber another.  This is not something you are really going to have time for.  The Ruger LCP is reported to be very reliable.  Mikey.

Offline southarkrob

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 03:31:51 PM »
thanks Mikey...I will check that out tomorrow before I purchase.... he has Kel-tecs also...thanks Robbie

Offline southarkrob

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 04:10:08 PM »
UPDATE- I went by this morning and looked at the AMT...did the trigger check like Mikey said...it was the one ya want and I thought I was good...the shop owner had $250 on it..I asked him what he would take for it...he says $200....I bought it and took it home and it jammed every shot  >:(... so I took it back and bought a 40 cal Springfield Sub Compact.... I think I'm gonna hold out for a Ruger LCP when the craze goes down....

Offline DakotaMike

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 01:39:09 PM »
I'd like to know where ya'll found a safety on an AMT Backup, neither of the two I own in .45acp have a safety.
Mike

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 03:25:48 PM »
I'd like to know where ya'll found a safety on an AMT Backup, neither of the two I own in .45acp have a safety.
Mike

I was wondering the same thing.  ???
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 10:41:04 PM »
Couldn't tell ya about the backup45s but the backup 380s had a frame mounted safety near the trigger.

Offline jhm

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 02:48:28 AM »
The OLDER amt did have a safety on the (L) side of the frame, I dont know when they discontinued it but in the early 80s I carried one of them in my boot or back pocket of my jeans.   Jim

Offline kix

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 02:49:38 AM »
  I had a Backup in .45, bought used. It seemed to be the perfect carry iron until I took it out, jammed a lot even w/ball and also mis-fired. The nice gun store said as-is so I was stuck. Sent it back to the factory where they charged me $25 plus shipping for the repair. By then I was disgusted so I traded it (along with some boot) for a Smith 586. I would not buy another AMT of any kind.   Kix

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 05:23:05 AM »
I owned a AMT Backup .380 years ago 1985, never had a problem with it and loved the fact that it was SS.  I would probably purchase one again if given the choice between Kel-Tec and the AMT.  A buddy of mine who is retired LEO carries his .380 AMT back up everyday.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 05:37:28 PM »
I bought an AMT new many years ago, it was chambered in .40.  I did some experimenting and bought a used .357 Sig barrel, dropped it in, it worked like a charm.  I also bought a 9mm barrel, had to do a minor alteration on it, but it works fine even with the .40 mag.  I recently purchased a .45 slide and mag but haven't had the chance to shoot it yet.  All total I have about $325. in everything (that would have been a good down stroke on a Sig)

I don't know about the other calibers, but I have fired at least a thousand rounds throught the .40, never a problem.  I heard stories about feed problems, so I took a Dremmel tool and polished the feed ramp on all the barrels, I never experienced any kind of feed problem even with the 9mm.

I think they are a pretty good little guns, just too heavy for carry.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 07:29:04 PM »
Maybe someone knows the real story, but didn't the .45 AMT Hardballer have function problems plagued with it? I remember reading some very bad reviews.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 07:15:11 AM »
The hardballer is a totally different gun than the Backup.  The hardballer is a full sized gun almost the same size as the 1911.

Like the 1911,  some had feed problems but in most cases were easily solved by making adjustment on the mag.  I have seen hardballers that had custom work done on them, they performed as well as any .45 I ever seen.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 07:47:04 AM »
  Thanks, Rockbilly. And to save my life I can't remember where I was reading that, it has been several years. And I think they were speaking of the long-slide version IIRC.

Offline DC

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 08:45:45 AM »
I had a couple of them over the years and wish I still did.  They had quite the wallop due to their eronomics but they were safe, reliable and effective.   They are not real easy to clean and dissasemble but they are a high quality pistol and a "keeper".
Dana
Ruger M77 243, Browning B2000, Ruger 22's, Ruger Red Hawk, SBlackhawk, Savage 223 Target...about 20+rifles less than I used to have. :-(

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 08:57:35 AM »
The AMT Hardballer had the frame and slide made of like SS and it would gall . they changed the SS in one and ended the problem kind of !, all gun manf. have followed that way of doing things since .
With reguard to the 380 BU why carry a gun that weighs twice what it needs to be when other options are on the market ?
I had one and it was a not a good gun  . it would jam with any load i tried even ball ammo .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline DakotaMike

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 11:43:22 AM »
Here is the manual for the AMT .380 Backup, I don't know about the older models but the manual says,"no external safeties".

pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/amt_backup.pdf

Offline Savage

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 02:20:39 AM »
The early .380 Backups were single action with both grip and frame mounted safeties. They were quite "Iffy" when it came to function. At least the 3 or 4 I have experience with. They were extremely heavy which made them uncomfortable for pocket carry. Best thing going nowdays is the P3AT for a pocket .380. The LCP is a pretty good copy, so it should be good as well. Mohawk was correct in his recollection of the Hardballer. I haven't owned one myself, but have known of several that had function problems that were not solved by tweaking. The galling problem could be dealt with by running it with grease on the rails. Worked ok in hot weather, no so good in cold. That was before the synthetic greases available today. If I found a Hardballer for $150 or so, I'd likely buy it to see if I could make it run. Otherwise I'd pass on the AMTs.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 04:09:11 AM »
I had one in the late 70's don't remember any safety to be honest . It was a jam-a-matic so i got rid of it .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline S.S.

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 05:35:46 PM »
Here is a pic. to solve the arguement.
very visible safety. I love this one and
have had it almost since Arcadia started
making them.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2009, 01:57:35 AM »
Yep!  That's the one.  Thanks S.S..  If you have that one loaded and chambered and forget to drop (disengage) the safety when you go to discharge it, the safety prevents the piece from firing but renders it useless as you have to recycle the action to chamber a fresh round and cock the action. 

Offline rugerman

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 04:37:05 AM »
I had one of the early single action backups in .380 and it would shoot anything that you feed it from super-vel to the old s&w hp with out a problem, loaned it to my sister and never saw it again. Bought my wife one of the dao backups, it was a jamomatic sent it back to the factory twice for repair, came back with the same problem TWICE got rid if it. Now I carry a keltek .380, about 300 rounds thru it so far with no problems, its light and carries well in my back pocket, I would recomend it. Also had a walter ppk (s&w lic) it was a good gun, kind of large for back pocket carry, wife saw it now its hers. Good luck with your search.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2009, 05:41:33 AM »
A friend brought me an AMT 380 single action for repair. I got it to work but I'd sure hate to depend on it. My Kel-Tek 380 has been through six boxes of assorted ammo, one box of everything I could find, and it has yet to hiccup. I hate the ergonomics but that's the price of being compact.
  I do have an AMT Automag ll in .22 WMR which has proved very accurate and reliable. I'd have to say it is the most accurate handgun I own and with the exception of some scope sighted singleshots, it's about the most accurate handgun I've ever shot. With its' preferred ammo it is good for an inch and a half at 50 yards from the bench. I wish I could shoot nearly so well without a bench!
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2009, 11:06:14 AM »
never had a problem counting on mine. quite comforting to have had it on a
couple of occasions.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".