Author Topic: Is it possible on an 1849 Wells Fargo Model . . . ?  (Read 902 times)

Offline bedbugbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Is it possible on an 1849 Wells Fargo Model . . . ?
« on: January 26, 2009, 11:47:59 AM »
Sometimes my mind runs "overtime".  I'm just curious if anyone has ever seen or modified a 1849 Model Wells Fargo pocket revolver to enable it to be loaded without disassembly?  I know that it is designed to have the barrel removed and the balls loaded into the chambers with the cylinder pin.  Would it not be possible to remove the barrel, and in the correct location over where the cylinder chamber and lead ball would be located when loading, drill a slightly oversize hole in the barrel assembly to allow a 1/4 inch brass rod with a "palm" attachement on the end to be inserted to push the ball into the chamber without having to disassemble the pistol to load it?  The Wells Fargo is essentially a 1849 Pocket Colt without the loading lever.  The presence of the loading lever and push rod that seats the bullet and the hole in the barrel assembly for the push rod does not seem to weaken the barrel assembly on the 1849 Pocket Model so it doesn't seem to me that it would cause a problem in modifying a Wells Fargo Model so a separate brass "loading rod" could be utilized.  In looking at pictures of the two different models, the barrel unit might have to have a small relief put in it to allow room for the bullet between the cylinder and the barrel unit prior to seating the lead ball in the cylinder, but then again, the 1849 Pocket Model has the relief in that location so there is ample clearance before pushing the ball into the chamber with the attached loading lever assembly.  The Wells Fargo Model is sleek in appearance without a loading lever and if it could be modified in this manner to utilize a separate loading rod, it would weigh less and be less cumberson under the barrel, making it an ideal gun for a shoulder holster carry.  Just curious - has anybody done this or seen it done?  I know that the "die hards" will say it would ruin the value of the pistol, but I am looking at the utility use of it as an easy "carry gun" on the farm for critters and a quicker way to reload it without having to do a "Houdini Act" to get it apart in the field.  Thanks for your opinions and comments.  You might think me crazy .. . . but then those that know me know that I am!  :-)
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline Cowpox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Is it possible on an 1849 Wells Fargo Model . . . ?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 01:42:17 PM »
The pocket revolvers were intended to fill the same mission as their modern counterparts.  I like to refer to them as "better than no gun at all". 

If you know you will need, or there is even a tiny chance you might need protection, by all means, bring a larger, more powerful pistol.

The pocket pistol is for when there is little chance you will need a gun, but you don't want to go unarmed, or to allow yourself to be armed when it is important that it is not apparent that you are packing. The old "B" westerns called them "hideout guns".

The 1849 pocket was quite easy to use for concealment, and I believe the Wells Fargo version was popular for two reasons.  The lack of the loading lever made for a lower purchase price, and made the little pistol even less noticeable.  All pocket pistols were intended to be carried a lot, but seldom shot.

If you drill your mortise in exactly the correct place, there should be no reason you couldn't ram balls without disassembly, but I suspect it would not be easy without the mechanical advantage of the loading lever.

I think I would just sell the Wells Fargo, and use the money to help pay for a pocket model.

I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox