Author Topic: Ammunition availability  (Read 2651 times)

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Ammunition availability
« on: January 27, 2009, 04:19:05 AM »
I had a few extra dollars saved up and wanted to buy some 223 ammo.NO ONE has any. Not the ammo man not Midway , not even the sportsmans guide among others. Some of the suppliers are even saying that they won't backorder. I did order some from the Sportsmans guide ,on backorder ,and hopefuly it will be in their warehouse about March 2. I hadn't realized how much panic buying has been going on.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Ammunition availability
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 04:39:12 AM »
MidSouth seems to have a bunch of the better quality .223 ammo in stock.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline kitchawan kid

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 06:19:24 AM »
Don't feel bad, I am having trouble getting 45/70's
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.
RAMAPOO RIFLE AND REVOLVER

cowboy action,hunting,target-1911's rule

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 06:59:24 AM »
Natchez had some 223 ammo, but the cheapest I saw they had was around $15 for a 20 round box.  That price is outrageous.

You can also go to gunbroker.com and type "223 PMC", or "223 500" or some variation of that and you'll find people price gouging for big quantities of 223 ammo.

I wish I had better news to tell you.

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 08:08:32 AM »
I did order some from spg    but it will take a couple weeks before it comes in.

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 06:15:07 PM »
I dont know just how much bulk you are wanting FLNT ...   But i did a little searching for you    http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=111247     and here  http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/ammo-for-rifles/223-rem-5-56mm-nato-/p/223-silver-bear-55gr-mil-spec-in-700rd-sealed-tin-/cPath/12_38/products_id/1993   is a couple types i found ..

Hope that might help ,or at the very least give you another source to check for goodies ;)

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 03:37:58 AM »
Thanks Default    I've added them to my list of ammo supliers    you can never have too many options   IF  SPG falls thru I'll contact one of them and see what they still have in stock.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 01:43:42 PM »
Buddy of mine ordered some from sportsmans guide a month and a half ago and still has not got it.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 01:05:29 AM »
Never a problem FLNT , Glad to help ;)

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 01:36:50 AM »
This forum is a good way to keep ahead of the pack. I knew about panic buying via the forum long before it hit in Wyoming, but I went to Casper yesterday and the shelves are bare. It still hasn't hit smaller towns yet.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 02:44:52 AM »
This forum is a good way to keep ahead of the pack. I knew about panic buying via the forum long before it hit in Wyoming, but I went to Casper yesterday and the shelves are bare. It still hasn't hit smaller towns yet.

+1  When the topic of panic buying was a couple weeks old here there were still AR-15's on the shelves at the local Gander Mountain.  Now those shelves have been picked clean, and the only 223 ammo left is the very expensive stuff.

Offline kiddekop

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 01:56:43 PM »
I had a few extra dollars saved up and wanted to buy some 223 ammo.NO ONE has any. Not the ammo man not Midway , not even the sportsmans guide among others. Some of the suppliers are even saying that they won't backorder. I did order some from the Sportsmans guide ,on backorder ,and hopefuly it will be in their warehouse about March 2. I hadn't realized how much panic buying has been going on.
Try www.floridagunworks.com If anyone reloads www.bivwak.com has a special nosler 22 55gr nosler ballistic tipped bullet in 100 round paks for $15 per 100 buy now sale ends at 2200   10pm there are 90 boxes remaining for sale!!!!

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 06:03:29 AM »
I saw some wolf  military classic  in 223 advertised in the Sportsmans  guide website yesterday  so I gave them a call. That shipment of ammo won't be in till mid March , but I ordered some anyway. Just out of curiousity, I checked back today and the entire lot is sold out already.

Offline blackwolfe

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 03:38:38 PM »
Got an email from Cabela's yesterday that they had plenty of .223.  It was a web only special according to the email.  I can't access the my email right now, so I can't post a link.
wolfe

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 03:34:36 AM »
I just checked the SPG website for cheap 223 ammo. they are showing Wolf MILITARY CLASSIC 55grn   fmj. Only problem is they won't have them in stock till June. 

Offline diggdug

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 03:01:13 AM »
Have you tried Wall-Mart? I bought some last night, Federal 55 gr FMJ, 100 round box for $39.98. And thats for BRASS.
Most people say I'm an idiot!

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 03:03:49 AM »
Hey guys,
     Last night I saw PMS 223 55gr FMJ on the shelf at Gander Mountain.  The only problem was that it was priced at $14.99 per box of 20!  You may want to cross them off your list of stores to buy ammo at.

Offline kitchawan kid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 03:23:18 AM »
Still waiting for my 45/70 winchester brass from Cabela's,been over 5 wks.
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 04:53:04 AM »
Heard from SMG yesterday.The delivery date for my March 2nd order has been moved to May 4th.My order due March 9th remains unchanged........so far.   

Offline cjclemens

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 06:10:01 AM »
The other day, I got my little .22 pistol out to do some plinking and I realized I was about out of .22 LR ammo.  So, I hop in the truck and head for the local walmart to pick some up.  To my surprise, they are out and can't get any more.  I check the other local walmart - same story.  The only place that has some on the shelf is a Dick's sporting goods, but they have 'em priced at twice what everyone else does.  Disappointed, i call my FFL guy to see what he can order in.  After checking with the 2 or 3 distributors he usually works with, he tells me that no one has any.  Has there been some kind of run on 22 rimfire cartriges that I dont know about?  If that's the case, i guess I didnt realize how far-reaching this fear buying has gotten.  The other question that raises is Why 22LR?  Is there something going on that I missed?  Anyway, I think im gonna go look for some 22 ammo somewhere else....

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 11:06:37 AM »
Last time I went to a walmart just for 22lr ammo.  They had a couple bricks of federal copper plated hollow points for $13 per 500 or 550.  I bought two of them just because.  22LR is getting harder to find because every other caliber requires a government bailout to be able to buy the rounds.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 03:11:13 PM »
With several states trying to ban lead projectiles, people in my area have been
Hoarding .22lr. Imagine the cost of it once lead is banned and the microstamping
BS is making matters even worse. I have noticed that in the rush to produce as much as possible
that quality of some brands has dropped. Got some Remington "Golden Bullet "
stuff that out of about 100 rounds, 50 have been duds. nice rim dent, no bang.

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2009, 07:13:49 AM »
Well Boys and girls ,

Same story in my neck of the woods... When i thought about it , It made perfect sense, What is the cheapest way to feed your family if it all hits the fan ?? A good fishing rig with plenty of tackle reserve and of course 22lr .. I read some where once that the 22lr had taking more human life then any other caliber.. I dont know if that is true today as of this post ..
 But you catch a few bouncing around behind your rib cage or zig zaggin down the old ear canal , Well that makes for a really bad day .. Accurate as hell , cheaper than dirt and can carry a 1000 rounds all day with not a trouble ? and the weapon that uses it can be had for under $100-$200  ?
 It can still as it always has , Feed a family and defend it too .. They fact that a 1000 round case doesnt cost $300-$500 just makes it all the more appealing..

Well my friends that is exactly why , And the wife is even a good shot with the thing to boot....

I'm sure some of the lead ban states that are in the works might just be adding to it ... But when i rationalized it, that was what my line of thinking brought me too ...

Buy your ammo now brothers and sisters and keep your powder dry  ;)

Offline Biohazard Monk

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2009, 07:28:26 AM »
Not only the .22 and .223 are getting hard to find. Almost all ammo in my neck of the woods is getting hard to find!  That is unless I want to pay top dollar at gander mountain.  That is almost the only place I can stll find 9mm, 45acp, 300win mag, .308... and I am not willing to pay 2-3 times as much yet...

Offline cjclemens

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2009, 05:14:02 PM »
Well, there's no doubt that the 22LR is an extremely useful and versatile cartridge, but with all the fear of a ban on "assault" weapons and ammo, it was probably the most overlooked as well.  I hadn't heard of any pending bans on lead ammo, but that makes sense if you consider California and their no-lead zones.  It's sad to see where things are going, but Default is right.  If you want any ammo, it's probably best to get what you can now rather than find out you cant get any later.  Just be sure to shop around as much as possible.  There are a lot of unscrupulous vendors out there who just want to profit on what's happening.

Offline kitchawan kid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 02:37:02 AM »
Stock up on as many primers as you can afford,and bricks of .22's they seem to be the currency of the future.
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.

Offline cjclemens

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2009, 02:19:56 PM »
I know i'm beating a dead horse here, but I've heard about the lead ammo legislation several times now, and in several different places.  All I have heard so far could be considered coffee-shop rumors, but now that ive heard it so many times, I believe it.  My question is what sort of ban is being considered and what state(s) are considering it?  I have looked for current info on this and all i can find is old news stories on California's lead free zones.  Does any one know what's going on?

Offline raggededge1

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 03:59:49 AM »
Don't know if this has anything to do with ammo but a law was passed that is screwing things up for many companies. It is now illegal to sell kid sized atvs and snowmobiles because of the lead on the battery terminals. Anything with lead is a problem. It also has something to do with some kind of plastic. It will apparently put many small co. out of business because the can't afford to have the product tested. It all had something to do with stuff coming in from China with lead and plastics that hurt kids. Trust congress to over react and screw things up. The 2008 consumer Product Safety act. You can find it on the net some where.

The bill's sponsors, including Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar, are equally adamant that such an absolute interpretation was not what they intended in the 2008 Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act.

"Their hands are not tied," Klobuchar said. "We gave the commission the power to implement common-sense rules. Congress never intended it to be interpreted this way.

"We never thought children were going to be sucking on brake handles."

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 04:57:29 AM »
Ah,  Common sense.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2009, 03:05:17 PM »
I think it just got passed that no lead ammo is allowed in national parks too!