Author Topic: stun guns vs OC spray  (Read 1205 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
stun guns vs OC spray
« on: January 27, 2009, 10:59:38 AM »
which is better for Self Defense a stun gun or OC spray? also i hear that the 100,000 volt ones don't have good stopping power so what vlots should one get?
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
Re: stun guns vs OC spray
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 11:21:10 AM »
45 ACP!!! ;D

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 11:24:49 AM »
can't have guns were i live.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 11:44:15 AM »
stick with a high quality (and quantity) of pepper spray.    when you talk stun gun you either have to have good quick reflexes to hit your target (as in taser) which by the way are somewhat bulky,   or the hand held stun contraption which puts you in close ......as in knife blade range.....

Another thought -  if a Bad Guy gets a hold of you and you are wrestling on the ground.....will your stun gun shock both of you?

I have used pepper spray on a pit bull that was hellbent on eating my labrador....the spray closed the pits eyes up and had him rubbing his face in the dirt - he was no longer a threat. 
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 11:20:09 PM »
can't have guns were i live.

Check your local laws on carrying OC and or Pepper Spray by John Q Public you may certification course. 

Also check your local and or state laws and being able to carry these as well, you may have to get certified just like LEO's do.  There is a far cry from carrying a stun gun where you have to actually touch someone with it like a cattle prod, and a taser gun that shoots out electrical darts where you can give the electrical ride of their life.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 04:40:46 AM »
stun guns and non firing tasers, and all chemical sprays are legal here in FL. i carry oc spray myself(3 oz. 10% oc), and i am getting this for my mom. There was some people in our building that had been starting some problems with us(yes, we did call the cops but they said they can't do anything unless they do something ::) ::)). She was h@ll bend on getting a gun and we were going to get a used Glock 39 45GAP and i had got the guy to give us it for 420$ but my mom got scare and told me she did not want to shoot anyone. So, i wanted her to have something so i going to get her some oc spray. mom can shoot mind you, because i made sure she know how to shoot and use the Beretta 1934 .380 i used to have and she was a alright shot, so she can shoot somewhat.

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 07:16:05 AM »
Your mom will change her mind when someone in her building is shot by one of these preditors. 

I wish you the best of luck, and much safety to your mom.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 07:26:41 AM »
louisville slugger !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline kiddekop

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 09:30:50 AM »
which is better for Self Defense a stun gun or OC spray? also i hear that the 100,000 volt ones don't have good stopping power so what vlots should one get?
Control of agression classes or rape prevention class .The other thing we learned in LE certification classes is to flee from the attacker if possible but if one can't and one has a ccw then use your weapon for personal protection.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 10:01:12 PM »
Control of agression classes or rape prevention class .The other thing we learned in LE certification classes is to flee from the attacker if possible but if one can't and one has a ccw then use your weapon for personal protection.

louisville slugger !

;)

Offline bluecow

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 05:19:08 AM »
dont know anything about stun guns...OC, get fox the highest % you can get.  get a steamer not fogger or foum.  been spayed, done the spraying and around this stuff about once every week.  you can claer a small cell block with this.  be careful the sprayer can get incapasitated to(too).  good luck
Everything before BUT is B.S.

Offline bluecow

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 05:20:20 AM »
oh i forgot get two cans a learn how to use it before you need it!
Everything before BUT is B.S.

Offline highwayman

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 02:30:34 PM »
if you know any cops or prison guards try to get some of the spray they use. at least she can spray some one''hopefully not you'' and get out of the area fast.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 02:27:30 PM »
I saw someone in a situation similar to what you are in pull a strange weapon
a little while back. It was a 12 ga marine flare pistol. paid like 60 bucks
for it in the sporting goods dept at wal-mart. It was painted black instead of
the hi-visibility orange. looked pretty intimidating. solved the situation she was in
real quick. If the tear gas you are describing does not work, turning them into a human torch
afterwards with a 12 ga fireball certainly would. There is a device that is being worked on
that is supposed to make stunguns and tasers useless. It somehow sends the charge to ground
instead of between the leads. Not sure how that would work. I look at most of these types of weapons
as pretty useless. I have seen people not affected at all by either stunguns or gas. I think
a 230 grain 45 slug at about 900 fps is one of the few things I would trust 100%. If you are living
somewhere that does not allow firearms, I would send a letter to the NRA and report this place.
Let their lawyers get involved.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 12:29:42 PM »
i would not want to loose the place were i live, also i took care of most of them, there still one left but his "little group' is not around him anymore so, like the little wess he is, he has back down. this all started over that my down stairs neighbor had there mase to loud and my mom told the manger about it. they cut her and myself bike tires(other then riding the bus, this is how we get around) and one of the boys that did that hit my down stairs neighbor mom in the face and he did nothing about that(what kind of man he is  40 years old, would play like a little kid with teens and not do anything when your mom came from out of town and got hit in the face by these same people???). also by takeing care of it i got them kicked out, the boys that did that.(there  16-18 years old).

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 01:59:25 PM »
stay vigilant Jamal, and don't let the bad apples bring you down.   Remember to stay legal in what ever you do.  It sounds like your apartments don't tolerate any rule breaking.   Keep the faith. 
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 04:47:32 AM »
i always keep it legal or you can prove it was me ;D remember all the crazy stuff i posted on here :o. but the problem been solved, most people in housing if they are doing some they keep it so no one needs to know and they do have real jobs to(many work at same place i work at). they may not be the best people but they keep to them self's and don't start trouble.

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 03:11:10 PM »
 what i have is oc cone spray.. i went to the back yrd an sprayed my face ..
 i use to box .. i can take a punch well altho old now..thats about all i might have left..i did it because ive heard police have to do this in thier training..
 i reaaly can t see how a fella could put up much fight with a good shot of this stuff.i like to have never made it to the shower .. it took half hr. to get straitened out enough to do anything but gag. . coulda been less time ,but seemed way to long anyway..
 if a bad guy was just showing me muscle an mean .. id probably give him a dose..
if hes got the pistol,its navel dn or upper chest up to face shot.. thats assuming
i can do other than just aim at body mass.. either way its +p158 grn swc he ll be dealin with, assuming i get mine off first.. thats the idea an why we train ,i believe :)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 10:57:38 AM »
never saw the wind push a 158 gr lead swc back in the face of a shooter either .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !