Author Topic: NEWB Question  (Read 363 times)

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
NEWB Question
« on: January 27, 2009, 11:43:31 AM »
Just starting out and I'd say I'm smart enough to really mess this up. I have a Lee Classic Loader for .38 Spl, tons of Remington once fired brass, Wolf primers, and a jar of HS6 (because alot of the loads on the card that comes with the Lee loader used HS6 and its what they had.) Went to get some bullets, but local selection is limited - either a box of 100 158gr. FMJ or a box of 500 158gr. lead. I went with the FMJ as it was cheaper. I also have an old box of Lyman 168gr. .357 cast bullets that I got from a guy at the range who was getting out of the caliber. And of course the 2008 Hodgdon Basic Manual.

I will be shooting these with 2 K-Frames (10 w/4", 14 w/6"), 2 Tauri 357's (66 w/6", 606 w/2.5"), an N-Frame 357 (627 w/5") and a TC .357 Max 10". Here are my questions:

1. Hogdon lists the max load for a 158gr XTP (hoping that's comparable to an FMJ) as 6.6gr (18,700 CUP) - the .5cc dipper delivers 7.0gr of HS6. With all the tools listed above (don't have a scale, measure, or any other dippers) is there a technique to get 6.6 out of the dipper? Or should I just order the Lee Improved Powder Measure Kit and get the rest of the dippers? I know I should be starting lower and working up.

2. I'm not certain if the Lymans are the 358429 bullet; is there a way to tell? They are not in the original box. Can I use them in the .38s (K-Frames) or should I use those solely in the heavier framed .357s with .38 brass? Anybody have a load using HS6 and the 168gr bullet?

At this point I've not reached the economical advantage point of reloading, as my wife very graciously pointed out. She does however recognize the therapeutic value, especially when I deprimed 500 pieces of brass manually one at a time with a smile on my face.

S/F,
Chaps

held fast

Offline blhof

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: NEWB Question
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 12:02:13 PM »
You can go to the powder manufacturer's site to check bullet and powder loads, and to get 6.6gr the best way is to invest in a grain scale; I ue a digital, bu I did use a Lee balance scale for years.  With a scale you can make your own scoops with cartridges, weigh the amount you need and pour into the smallest cartridge that will hold it, mark the case and grind off excess, solder a nail handle to the case and you have a sized dipper.  I had a complete set for my pistol til I upgraded to a powder measure, and I still weigh the 1st 4 pours and random others to insure consistant pour.  Some powders don't work well in some powder measures. I weigh every round with Unique, as it doesn't work well with my measure. Good luck and it doesn't get cheaper, because what you save per box, you make up for in additional shooting.  Many places that sell powder have company powder load manuals.  I have a shelf full and date them so I can replace with a new one when I get more powder.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: NEWB Question
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 12:05:47 PM »
I do know that money is tight for most of us right now BUT , save the money that you would spend on the dippers and buy a powder scale , the Lee will work , not the best but it will work .

The powder charge is NOT the place you want to say " thats close enough " ,

Handloading is a great hobby , fun and safe , as long as you do it the right way .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped