Author Topic: primer differences  (Read 396 times)

Offline zacharoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
primer differences
« on: January 29, 2009, 02:57:06 AM »
I use mostly cci large rifle primers or Remington large rifle primers. Have a relative that quit reloading due to age. He has given me 6 or 7 hundred cci magnum primers. Due to the problem of getting primers here in La. I took them. What would I have to do to change my reloads to use these primers? How much less if any power grains should be safely cut to try? Do you have to go to the bottom line on loads or less than bottom to start. Hate to waste good loading components. He also gave me some powder but no loading data.
Thanks Zacharoo

Good bless and keep us safe with this new times we are in!!!!!

Offline Michadian

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: primer differences
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 03:42:39 AM »
Zacharoo,
Maginun primers are best applied in larger capacity cases, but they don't have to be maginums. To replace a stanard large rifle primer with a maginum primer simply replace that component in your favorive recipe at the recommended starting loading and work back up for performance. Chris Long did a neat study that is good reading. http://www.the-long-family.com/  This is Chris' home page, go to 'reloading' then to 'primer study'.
Regards,
Dick

Offline Michadian

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 03:45:02 AM »
Zacharoo,
I should have added 'slower powders' to larger case capacities.
Be safe,
Dick

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 02:54:01 AM »
In cartridge cases the size of 308 Win. and larger, you will probably not have to change your load significantly between CCI large rifle and CCI large rifle magnum primers.  The Remington primers are cooler and in that size case, it's likely you'll have to decrease the powder charge by 2 grains or so.

I've found there is no or even adverse accuracy advantages to using magnum primers but sometimes there is an accuracy improvement.