Author Topic: m1 garand, m1a  (Read 1098 times)

Offline 44-40

• Trade Count: (0)
m1 garand, m1a
« on: January 30, 2009, 03:14:06 AM »
Anybody try shooting cast bullets in a garand or m1a? I have had a lee 155 spire point mold for years, .311", I believe was intended for 7.62x39. This takes a gas check . While sitting around recooping from shoulder surgery I got to wondering if these would work. I sized some to .309 and using imr4198 worked loads for both until it would run the action, My oldest son was out for a visit so he got to be the test fire guy. I won't be able to try these at 100 yds till I heal up, just wondering if anybody else has had success at this?

Offline WayneS

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
Re: m1 garand, m1a
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 10:42:54 AM »
I haven't fired any through either weapon,. but remember reading that you should by pass the gas port on the M1A1, not sure  if the Garand has one, OR clean the gas port after every fireing or it will get gunked up with lube and ??
Although this article dosen't address the gas port issue he talks about cast in 7.62 X 39 whicH = AK's and SK's
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=13425

Offline 44-40

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 11:51:47 AM »
I have fired cast bullets in gas guns for years and have yet to plug the gas port, think of the barrel as a cylinder with 2000 psi from an air compreesor hooked to it and the only escape is a pin hole and the only thing blocking the escape is a pinhole size piece of lead.I have heard that stuff to but has anyone EVER plugged a gas port?, I would like to know, and don't believe everthing you read.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 01:50:55 AM »
Cast bullets work great in the Garand. Never owned an M1A, so can't comment on that. You'll need heavier than normal bullets and slower than normal powder (like 180gr. and IMR4350) to get the port pressure up enough to cycle. Make sure your cartridges chamber without any resistance at all. Work up a load to just cycle the action, and hopefully you're not going too fast for good cast bullet accuracy. Works great!
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline haroldclark

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 07:48:56 AM »
Cast bullets in Garrand and the M1A

I have shot many cast bullets in both rifles.  They worked just great and never plugged up the gas port as many people think.  The accuracy is very acceptable.  When I first started using cast in them, the "They Brothers" (that is those who got info from a reliable source and even their cousins) told me that it wouldn't work and the gas ports would jam up.  I would take them apart and check the gas ports until I finally realized it wouldn't plug up.

Further on semi-auto rifles with gas ports:;  I have a Remington 742 Semi auto in 30-06.  I have fired 3700 plus cast bullet loads in it and the gas port never required cleaning.  I can't even get to it without total dis-assembly. The military rifles are a piece of cake to take apart. The "They Brothers' will tell us that the 742 won't shoot well with jacketed bullets, much less with cast bullets.  I never let my guns hear any of that nonsense.

I have loaded the Remington and the Garands up to full velocity to recycle the actions.   Works great.

With the Springfield M1a, I used to shoot that more than the Garand and it was pleasingly accurate out to 200 meters. (I just didn't have a longer range than that, back then).    It was great fun and you ought to do it.

Harold Clark

Offline wgr

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 02:35:24 PM »
would it evan cycle with the gas port plugged
never to much gun

Offline haroldclark

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 05:32:08 AM »
You are correct.  If the gas port is plugged or even partially plugged it won't recycle. 

Offline Larry Gibson

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 05:35:41 AM »
would it evan cycle with the gas port plugged

If the gas port is plugged it will not function the action.

However, I have shot thousands of cast bullets the last 40 years through numerous M1As, M1s, M1 carbines, ARs, FN/FALs, FN49s, SKSs, AKs and several others.  I had one problem with one M1 Carbine because the gas port was chipped.  None of the others gave any problems.  

For cast bullet use in the M1/M1A I suggest the use of a heavier bullet than the Lee 312-155. For reliable functioning in many rifles the velocity is too high for best accuracy, especially with the M1.

A heavier bullet allows medium and slow burning powders to be used while keeping velocities at an accuracy level of 1850-2200 fps. How fast depends on the twist, A 10" twist will get best accuracy in the 1800-1950 fps range and 12" twist will get the same accuracy up to 2100-2200 fps.  The heavier bullet with medium/slower burning powders make for workable gasport pressures that will function the actions. The best and easiest to use in the M1/M1A for accuracy and functioning cast bullet I've found is the Lyman 311299 or the 314299.  The powder I use is 4895 in both the 7.62 and the 30-06.  I also use a dacron filler for better consistent ignition and accuracy.

Larry Gibson

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 03:23:36 AM »
In the M1A I like the 120gr bullets for squirrels.  Of course the action is not cycled and the 2nd round in the mag is a 180gr for the deer you always see when hunting squirrels!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)