Author Topic: 257 nickel brass  (Read 303 times)

Offline 44-40

• Trade Count: (0)
257 nickel brass
« on: January 30, 2009, 03:53:49 AM »
Several years ago I bought my middle son a 257 roberts for his first deer rifle. I load for so many calibers that I thought using nickel cases would make it stand out from the other close calibers and avoid an accident. The dies I use are Lee. These have to be the worst cases I have ever tried to get in and out of a sizing die, talk about a bench breaker! Is this because of the nickel case or are brass 257 cases just as bad?? The only other nickel cases I have are all straight wall and not bottle neck.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: 257 nickel brass
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 05:16:56 AM »
You are lubing outside of the case and a bit on the INSIDE of the neck... right?

If so maybe its time to give that die a thorough cleaning. the lube builds up inside and holds impurity's that can scratch brass and make resizing difficult. Nickle is a harder material and yes can be a bit harder to work with. How many times have you reloaded this brass. Brass gets "work hardened" with use.

I could also say buy some better dies.. but I will be nice. ::) ;D

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline 44-40

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 12:12:39 PM »
I have a pickup load of different dies, lyman and herters being my least favorite, these cases haven't been loaded more than 2 or 3 times and sized like that the first time, I don't have any problems with other bottleneck cases using the lee dies, the next worse to size would be the 243 with rcbs dies, just wondering if it was the nickel or the 257 that is an s.o.b. to resize

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 12:23:56 PM »
What kinda press are you using? Hard sizing almost ALWAYS means inadequate lube on the case. If you're using any sort of quality press with compound leverage you should barely be able to feel the resistance if the cases are lubed correctly.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Catfish

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 02:25:42 PM »
I don`t like nickel cases because they don`t last like brass cases, but I agree with Bill, I don`t think your getting them well lubed.