Author Topic: Back to the basics  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Georgian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Back to the basics
« on: January 30, 2009, 06:18:45 AM »
Hey yall....been a while since I've posted on here, so forgive me, lol. Over the past two years, I have continously upgraded my personal firearms, mainly my shotguns. For home defense I keep an 870 loaded on the rack and a Mossberg 500 Mariner with me in my truck. Although they are both awesome weapons, I feel as if I have lost my way in all of the "upgrading" I've been doing in fear of things to come. When I started shooting shotguns as a kid, my first shotgun was given to me by my grandad. I still have it to this day....a camoed H&R Mod 58 20 gauge. It is a light, handy, and a great little gun. I guess my whole premise to this is that sometimes we all forget the basics, and the simple, tried and true things in life (which is what I consider the H&R/NEF singleshot shotguns). Does anyone feel the same way? I just want to start getting back to the basics....start back using my 20gauge, and maybe browse some pawn shops for a cheap singleshot 12gauge that needs a good home.....
~Speak softly and carry a big stick~T. Roosevelt

~I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.~J. Wayne

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: Back to the basics
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 06:44:14 AM »
Couldn't agree with you more about getting back to the basics.
I hardly ever use any of my bolt action, levers or semi's.
99% of the time it's the Handi's or Pardners.

I actually like the thought of only getting one shot... I think it makes you a better hunter. ;)

Spanky

Offline WoodsRoamer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 09:17:23 AM »
Just last weekend I bought a 20 gauge Pardner, I've always like the looks and simplicity of a single shot. I couldnt be happier with this gun, its already got a couple of squirrels under its belt. I have a feeling my others gun are going be collecting some dust...

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 10:58:25 AM »
Yup, the single shots are fun and have their place alright. But for home defense it's a good idea to keep your pump guns.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 12:12:41 PM »
I agree with you all.  I have a few H&R's.  I have a Buckmark 22 and also a Pardner Pump(currently on loan to my nephew).  I shoot them all, but my favorite is the 22" 20ga with full length stocks.  Someday soon I would like to add a revolver in 357 or 45LC and maybe a Bond Arms Defender in 410/45LC.
I wish I still had the 1st Pardner I ever had.  Bought it myself back in the early 80's and loaned it several years ago to a brother-in-law.  Never got it back.  He left it at a rental farm where he lived for a few years and that was the last he remembers.
My grandson and son will get to split them all up when I'm gone.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 01:29:26 PM »
Yeah, I just picked up a real nice 12ga Topper locally for $70.  Will be great truck gun. 

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 04:10:15 PM »
I agree. Single shots are my favorite. I used to own some semi-autos in the past but got rid of them and went back to basics. In fact, the only gun I have now that isn't a single shot is my personal defense revolver.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline dean51

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 04:24:49 PM »
Yep ,as I sit watching TV just ruined a spring  on a campnine looking at the destroyed recoil buffer now it needs a spring too.  May go get my 308 handi and just clean it.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 11:55:21 PM »
There ya go Dean, that's one BIG reason why I like my Pards.  They are so simple and if ya don't "dry fire" 'em, they almost never have a problem.  Just keep em clean and shoot, shoot, shoot.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 12:47:46 AM »
I'm a huge fan of the Pardners and the Handi Rifles.  They are perfect for a day in the woods.  My idea of a repeater is my Marlin .30-30.  Check out Backwoodsman Magazine.  You'll like it.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 01:55:50 AM »
Hey yall....been a while since I've posted on here, so forgive me, lol. Over the past two years, I have continously upgraded my personal firearms, mainly my shotguns. For home defense I keep an 870 loaded on the rack and a Mossberg 500 Mariner with me in my truck. Although they are both awesome weapons, I feel as if I have lost my way in all of the "upgrading" I've been doing in fear of things to come. When I started shooting shotguns as a kid, my first shotgun was given to me by my grandad. I still have it to this day....a camoed H&R Mod 58 20 gauge. It is a light, handy, and a great little gun. I guess my whole premise to this is that sometimes we all forget the basics, and the simple, tried and true things in life (which is what I consider the H&R/NEF singleshot shotguns). Does anyone feel the same way? I just want to start getting back to the basics....start back using my 20gauge, and maybe browse some pawn shops for a cheap singleshot 12gauge that needs a good home.....

i'll have  to agree also , i always go back to the roots, i started at age 14 with my 1st  shotgun i bought for myself  had a family friend  lived  down the road, he  had 2- 410 shotties for sale i springfield/stevens 410 (dont rememberthe model , and a mossberg 3 shot bolt, man i wanted that  bolt so bad bein 3shot, but hunting season opened that coming weekend and i only had  the 15bucks for the single , he wanted 25 for the bolt,  so started my  journy with single shots i guess , man back in the late 60's a 10 spot was a lot to a 14yr old  mowin yards and the such

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 04:39:05 AM »
man back in the late 60's a 10 spot was a lot to a 14yr old  mowin yards and the such

I hear that!!!  I had to carry a lot of papers back then to earn $10.  My "old man" got the lawn for free. ;D

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »

I actually like the thought of only getting one shot... I think it makes you a better hunter. ;)

Spanky

No truer words have ever been spoken my friend!

Robert

Offline rparsons934

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 02:42:16 AM »
Yup, the single shots are fun and have their place alright. But for home defense it's a good idea to keep your pump guns.
Couldnt agree with you more.
****The Second Amendment.....You dont know you need it until they come and try to take it away****

Offline mike@nds

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
    • NoDak Spud, LLC
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 02:20:49 AM »
I think a single shot can make a decent home defense gun, if you train properly.

Check out this video from Clint Smith.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2008/11/19/fighting-with-a-shotgun/
NoDak Spud, LLC
www.nodakspud.com