Author Topic: gun storage and humidity/rust  (Read 777 times)

Offline lonewolf_one

• Trade Count: (0)
gun storage and humidity/rust
« on: January 30, 2009, 10:39:48 AM »
I wasn't really sure in which forum to make this post. In any event, I have a quick question. The humidity in my gun safe seems to hover around 36%. Although, it's winter now, so the heat is on. I assume this number is acceptable? When summer rolls around and the humidity rises, what would be the max., before I run out to get one of those moisture absorbing products?
Many thanks,
joe

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Re: gun storage and humidity/rust
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 03:24:58 PM »
I dunno much 'bout that humidity stuff other then it stays around 55% in my basement... uh ... darn!  My wife says I'm 'spose to call it "the lower level!"   :-\  Anyway, that's with a humidifier going.  So far I haven't had any rust form on the guns in my safes.

The guy who moved them said I should just stick a few charcoal briquettes in a nylon stocking and hang one in each safe.  Change them when they get crumbly.  Hadn't done it yet...   :-[
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Tn Jim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 05:37:20 AM »
My gun safe is in my den (read that as "converted basement). The air stays kind of damp feeling down there. Never had water on the floor or walls though. Anyway, I put a Goldenrod in my safe and have never had a problem with rust. I don't know what percentage the humidity runs down there, but the Goldenrod seems to work. I hope this helps.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 05:43:10 AM »
Use a good gun oil on them and you won't have a problem, my guns are stored in the basement where 55%-60% humidity is the norm, never have a rust problem.  ;)

Tim

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 08:14:54 AM »
If you use em enough, you shouldn't ever have to worry about humidity.  Just tell the wife you are doing "upkeep" on your investment.   ;)
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."