Author Topic: Redding/Saeco molds  (Read 1113 times)

Offline WayneS

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
Redding/Saeco molds
« on: January 30, 2009, 02:32:56 PM »
Has anyone bought a new Redding /Saeco in the past 3 or 6 Mo. ??

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Redding/Saeco molds
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 01:47:26 AM »
They've gotten too expensive for me anymore. For the money I go to Mountain Molds and get just what I want.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline WayneS

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 07:25:48 AM »
Ok, do they make 4 cavity molds, and what would one cost ?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 07:31:46 AM »
Probably but then so does Lyman and they don't charge custom prices for theirs. I like their designs better than Saeco also.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Hank08

• Trade Count: (35)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 08:53:30 AM »
I have some older Saeco moulds that are great but the recent moulds that I've bought have had problems and unless they've changed personel in customer service you won't get any help with a bad one.
H08

Offline jbquack1

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 02:57:23 PM »
I have not owned these but have held a few of the older ones and the quality seemed good.I agree with the mountain molds post as i have one and they work well.The price seems too be competitive as well.

Offline WayneS

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 09:16:48 AM »
Probably but then so does Lyman and they don't charge custom prices for theirs. I like their designs better than Saeco also.
But Lyman dosen't offer their rifle bullets in 4 cavity Or I look into them.

Offline WayneS

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 09:49:41 AM »
I have some older Saeco moulds that are great but the recent moulds that I've bought have had problems and unless they've changed personel in customer service you won't get any help with a bad one.
H08
Seams you are not alone with poor customer service from Saeco, that was why I asked the question.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »
But Lyman dosen't offer their rifle bullets in 4 cavity Or I look into them.

Nope but then you didn't specific rifle moulds in the original post. Veral will make up any of his designs in four cavity blocks and most folks seem to agree his moulds are about the best out there. I'm pretty sure he is making them to any design you want these days but you'd need to ask him. You can do so on his forum here.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Darrell Davis

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 02:42:47 PM »
Well shooters --------------

I have never used a Redding/Saeco mold, but have one LBT mold and it is for sure the best of my molds.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline Kenneth L. Walters

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 06:20:53 PM »
Over the last 22 years I've bought 63 SAECO moulds.  Currently I own 34.  I ordered two more this last week.  They are excellent.

Offline buckbrush

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 03:17:37 PM »
I agree with Ken, Redding - Saeco moulds are Excellent.

Offline haroldclark

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 05:40:32 PM »
I have over 20 Saeco molds.  Most of them are 4 cavaties.  I have purchased them as far back as 1984 and added to my collection since then.

My most recent one was bought last month from Buffalo Arms.  I boiled it in hot spic and span water, dried it and brushed it off and started casting.  It took about 10 to 15 dumps to get it up to speed and seasoned.  I cast about 150 bullets that day. 

The next week, I fired it up and with a cold mold, along with two other molds, I had perfect bullets coming out of all the Saeco 4s in a few warming casts.  The off to perfection.  I made another 150 or so bullets ready to size and shoot on that day.

I have never had to deal with customer support, except 20 to 25 years ago. The Customer service section busted butt to make one mold right.   

By the way, I bought an LBT Aluminum block mold  in 4 cavity about 18 years ago..  It is the 38/357 Ogived Wadcutter.  The bullet is not accurate enough to suit me and the blocks are very finicky to heat up and keep hot to prevent wrinkles.  I bought a Saeco 4 double ended Wadcutter mold to replace it and I retired the LBT to the Archives.  My Saeco Wadcutters shoot great and even stay afloat out to 50 yards.

I have Lyman molds: Good for paper weights and they only make 2 cavities in Rifle Bullets.
I have RCBS molds:  Excellent in the 200 grain 357.  I sold my 7mm 146 and the 308 160/165 molds.  I don't keep things that don't shoot well.

The other best of the lot in molds are the Hensley and Gibbs in pistol calibers.  I have 5 six cavity molds and one 10 cavity and several 4s.    They are about the best of the best.  Can't get them anymore.  They didn't make rifle molds to my knowledge.

I think a lot of the whole fuss is dependent on what a person expects from a device that only catches molten metal and forms a bullet.  Do it right and it will make you very happy with Accuracy beyond your dreams.

Harold Clark