Author Topic: .454 Load Questions (Speer 260 gr)  (Read 884 times)

Offline slick00

• Trade Count: (2)
.454 Load Questions (Speer 260 gr)
« on: January 31, 2009, 06:58:33 AM »

I'm looking at the Speer (#13)manual at the 260gr load for a SRH in 454 Casull. Under H110 it lists loads as 35.0 to 37.0 grns. I have a box of 260 gr Unicor bullets that I want to load up. However, based on Nosler 260 grn load as well as my experience with other 250 grn loads, the Speer charge weight seams "high" to me. My friend says he thinks the Speer Manuals have always been a bit a warm. Anyone else use this load or have some thoughts?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: .454 Load Questions (Speer 260 gr)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 11:14:53 AM »
I'm of the same opinion regarding Speer loads. To me they seem hotter than the rest of the manuals. Try looking on the Freedom Arms website. I guess they are still there I know they used to have load data for their 260 and 300 grain bullets listed.

I don't give out load data from memory and don't have mine handy but I don't recall ever using that much even with 240s.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 04:24:50 PM »
Interesting, Speer #14 doesn't show H110 for the 260gr at all, and Lyman 48th doesn't show it for their 250gr loads either.  Hornady doesn't show any 250 or 260gr loads at all, so nothing to compare with there.  Hogdon shows 34.0 - 36.0gr H110 for the 260gr FA JFP though. 

Hope this helps.

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline slick00

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 06:28:56 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts so far. I found a H110 load in my old Hornady book (4th edition) and it lists both a 250 and a 300 grn load.  The 250grn loads listed are 30.0 to 33.9grn.  That along with Nosler data is why I started to think....hummmm.  GB Thanks for the heads up on FA.  I forgot about that source.  Justashooter thanks for looking in the #14 ..dont have that yet. Based on my old Hornady 4th data, I was thinking about starting at 30.0 grn and working up from there.????? I will check the FA site too. I was just concerned about starting "too low"..that can sometimes be bad too.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 02:37:01 AM »
I have the Hodgon manual #26 here in front of me and with H110 powder and the freedom arms bullet in 260gr:

They list 34.0gr as a start load @ 44.600CUP & 1790fps and 37.0gr @ 53.800CUP & 2005fps as MAXIMUM.

I also grabbed a old Speer #11 manual and with H110 powder and the Speer bullet in 260gr;

They list 35.0gr as a start load @ 1778fps and 37.0gr @ 1850fps as MAXIMUM. (No posting of PSI or CUP pressures)

I have been careful to post as I see written in manuals, but PLEASE CHECK BEFORE interprating as gospel!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline slick00

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 06:18:59 PM »
Thanks CWlongshot ! ;D

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 02:21:45 AM »
part of the problem with some loads for the 454 is there intended for a FA gun. Some of them are just to hot for a ruger or tarus. Ive had cases so stuck they had to be pounded out of rugers using loading manual loads.
blue lives matter

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 02:32:31 AM »
part of the problem with some loads for the 454 is there intended for a FA gun. Some of them are just to hot for a ruger or tarus. Ive had cases so stuck they had to be pounded out of rugers using loading manual loads.

Loyd,
 Do you have a FA? Do you have access to one to look at the chambers? They are "a bit"  ::) better polished and chambered than these newer "upstarts".  ;D Lighter loads would help as you well know, but the closer tolerances and better finish of the FA's is head and shoulders above any others. It is the #1 reason the cartridge gets the performance numbers it does.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 08:40:56 AM »
There are two reasons case might need to be pounded out of a Ruger chambered to .454 if we're talking factory chambered guns.

One is a brass problem. Hornady at one time (dunno about today) were making their brass too soft and it would stick badly in Ruger and Taurus guns. It was a brass problem really not a gun problem but the guns aggravated it. For some reason Ruger and to a lesser extent Taurus insisted on making the chambers of their revolvers rough to help prevent case set back on firing. Combined with the soft brass from Hornady and one other brand which I"ve forgotten just now it meant stuck cases.

Neither Hornady nor Ruger/Taurus would admit to the incompatibility and neither would change. I wrote the problem up back when I was doing the review of the FA83 and Taurus RB both in .454. The FA 83 shot the Hornady ammo fine the RB would not. Even after firing in the FA the brass wouldn't work for reloads in the RB. Many Ruger owners reported the same at the time.

Starline and Winchester brass have never had the problem even in Ruger and Taurus guns so it really takes using both soft brass and guns from those companies to cause a problem.

Beyond that if you're sticking brass you're loads are too danged hot. I shot the same loads using Starline and Winchester brass in the RB with no problems that I did in the FA83.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 09:08:22 AM »
 While I do agree at least on principal, I must say that the 454 was designed as a proprietary cartridge for the casull revolver. These loads work perfectly in a FA firearm. It wasn't until Ruger and Taurus tried to muck it up that the problems arose.

I do not know if everyone reading knows what went into the design of this firearm. I'm pretty sure that you do Bill. I also think you can understand what I am getting at here. Its a very good story and will bring new appreciation to what this gun is and what it can do. Its a redesign from the ground up. Simply its a better built single action.

I guess what it boils down to is, soft brass or not, it worked perfectly in the FA. Another company tried to re-engineer something or some part and the problems arrived... If Dick Casulls designs where followed there would be no problems. The Casull is no run of the mill pistol caliber or firearm and treating it as one will not work. Its designed for top performance in a precision platforum.

Yes, I am a big fan of this firearm.  ;D

CW

NRA LIFE Member