Author Topic: The sling shot man.  (Read 1559 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
The sling shot man.
« on: January 31, 2009, 12:48:16 PM »
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: The sling shot man.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 01:25:38 PM »
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline CannonKrazy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 02:57:51 PM »
Yep this guy is so good the game warden wont let him carry more than three rocks in his pocket at the time.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 03:11:32 PM »
Yep this guy is so good the game warden wont let him carry more than three rocks in his pocket at the time.
Now that's funny. LOL. ;D Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline Redtail1949

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 03:18:34 PM »
Glad I saw that, I have been telling my grandson (age 4 years) about sling shots. I went and tried to find one and no one has one. I am gonna try to contact that guy and get one for me and small one for the grandson.

I spent many many hours in South East Texas as a young boy shooting mine but we had another name for them.

Bet you can not guess what we called them...Hint NOT POLITICALY CORRECT!

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 03:51:17 PM »
Go to your local Walmart. They should carry wrist rockets. Those are the ones I grew up on and are much more powerfull.  We used to walk along the railroad tracks and pick up little round steel balls. To this day I have no idea what they were and why there were so many of them. They may have been ball bearings but not sure.  All I know is they made great ammo. Dale

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 03:53:36 PM »
Dale they were taconite pellets, many of them came fron]m the Iron range in Northern MN. You guys were not the only ones who used them for sling shot ammo,in fact I have a jar of them in the basement right now.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline CannonKrazy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 04:07:04 PM »
I was raised up making slingshots also. My father used to make them for the kids and we would shoot everything we could find. I got my but whipped pretty good one time because I shot all my brothers marbles. I was never nearly as good as this guy but I killed plenty of birds, squirrels and rabbits. Sure was a lot of fun.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 04:07:36 PM »
Dale they were taconite pellets, many of them came fron]m the Iron range in Northern MN. You guys were not the only ones who used them for sling shot ammo,in fact I have a jar of them in the basement right now.
Billy that is great. Could you tell me what these pellets were used for and why millions were spewed along the tracks here in Pa?

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 04:10:03 PM »
I was raised up making slingshots also. My father used to make them for the kids and we would shoot everything we could find. I got my but whipped pretty good one time because I shot all my brothers marbles. I was never nearly as good as this guy but I killed plenty of birds, squirrels and rabbits. Sure was a lot of fun.
Yea as a kid I killed many little critters with my wrist rocket and them little steel balls we found along the tracks. Dale

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 04:11:42 PM »
They are turned into steel, it is what they mill the Iron ore into to ship it to the iron mills. I'm thinking they spilled alot all along the tracks as we hasd them here also.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 04:14:44 PM »
They are turned into steel, it is what they mill the Iron ore into to ship it to the iron mills. I'm thinking they spilled alot all along the tracks as we hasd them here also.
Wow now I know. I always wondered what they were. It makes perfect sense seeing as back then Pittsburgh was the steel city. Dale

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 04:16:49 PM »
Billy now that I think about I can't thank you enough. I really wondered that for many years. Dale

Offline CannonKrazy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 04:17:41 PM »
Did any of you guys ever accidentally break any windows or maybe kill a neighbors cat. I did both and had to pay for the window and later on had to bury a cat. Never did like that cat much anyways.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 04:25:40 PM »
Did any of you guys ever accidentally break any windows or maybe kill a neighbors cat. I did both and had to pay for the window and later on had to bury a cat. Never did like that cat much anyways.
I was a heathen when I was a kid to say the least. We would shoot these balls from out sling shots at passing rail cars with brand new cars and trucks on them. Yea we did a lot of damage and like I said I was a kid. I would ground my kid forever if I ever caught her doing that. It was fun at the time though. Then there was the time me and my friends threw a bunch of smoke bombs into a vacant house. Turns out we caught it on fire. The whole house burnt down. I did not get caught for that one though. Dale

Offline CannonKrazy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 04:29:55 PM »
Statute of Limitations is a great thing ain't it. Catching a house on fire has big penalties.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 04:32:51 PM »
Statute of Limitations is a great thing ain't it. Catching a house on fire has big penalties.
Yea about 30 years or so. If it was under 7 years I would have never brought it up. Dale

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 04:33:51 PM »
we  used to make sling shots out of snap ties  in   the sub base

government probly  had $1oo in  mine  built during overtime     lol

we  had 7 dead seaguls floating  by a trident sub  when  they  told  us we had one day to remove  them for the base

i  feard  a trap  so  i hid  mine and  took it out a week later
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline CannonKrazy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 04:39:53 PM »
Looking back over the years I can think of a lot of fun times spent shooting a slingshot. I would like to see all the rocks,marbles and steel balls I have shot piled up in one place. Bet it would almost fill a truck.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2009, 04:40:33 PM »
we  used to make sling shots out of snap ties  in   the sub base

government probly  had $1oo in  mine  built during overtime     lol

we  had 7 dead seaguls floating  by a trident sub  when  they  told  us we had one day to remove  them for the base

i  feard  a trap  so  i hid  mine and  took it out a week later
Tim this goes back to another thread but tell me how often you and your car was searched back then on that base? There was one time I was searched twice in one day. Then there was a time I came in on a monday morning after shooting over the weekend and they found 22LR shells in my car. They called the comander down there and they took my car apart for about 8 hours. Dale

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2009, 04:42:37 PM »
#3 rebar cut to 1 inch length

we  were on a union job
so  the apprentice  had better not leis  us  run  out of ammo
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.

Offline Redtail1949

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2009, 05:02:29 PM »
Yes sir grew up next to the ATSF Mainline used those pellets to kill tons of birds and rabbits, later in my teens hired out for Railroad and used my sligshot for several years until the Trainmaster ripped me a new one for killing pigeons in the Roundhouse. Put it away and just lost it in many moves and a couple of divorces along the way.

Gonna sure look up that wrist rocket hope they make one for small kids also. Been shhoting all my guns and take my granson along, I have let khin pull the trigger on the .22's but of course he is just not ready,,so I teach him basic. The city has outlawed all BB guns and pellet rifles and I have one neigbor that would call out the militia if she saw him shooting in the yard at targets.

So I really was trying to fighure a way to keep him going with hunting fever but just could not come up with anything that he could use daily.

That slingshot was just the cats meow..wonder why I never even thought of it.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2009, 04:58:59 AM »
Yes sir grew up next to the ATSF Mainline used those pellets to kill tons of birds and rabbits, later in my teens hired out for Railroad and used my sligshot for several years until the Trainmaster ripped me a new one for killing pigeons in the Roundhouse. Put it away and just lost it in many moves and a couple of divorces along the way.

Gonna sure look up that wrist rocket hope they make one for small kids also. Been shhoting all my guns and take my granson along, I have let khin pull the trigger on the .22's but of course he is just not ready,,so I teach him basic. The city has outlawed all BB guns and pellet rifles and I have one neigbor that would call out the militia if she saw him shooting in the yard at targets.

So I really was trying to fighure a way to keep him going with hunting fever but just could not come up with anything that he could use daily.

That slingshot was just the cats meow..wonder why I never even thought of it.

Here you go. The second one down is the one I had as a kid. Dale

http://www.stun-ningsales.com/SportStore/wrist-rocket.htm

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2009, 05:07:50 AM »
did  you notice  what states  sling shots are banned??

that  wrist  thing  makes them  ''ASSAULT''  sling shots

at  kings  bay  once  i forgot  my  308 rifle in  my tool  box 
and  saw the dogs  inside  waiting  on their next customer
i  threw my badge under the seat  and played dumb  told them  i forgot  it  and  was late for work
they  were irritated  with my stupidity thinking  they  would let  me  in with out it
and  turned  me  around on the spot

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2009, 05:14:43 AM »
did  you notice  what states  sling shots are banned??

that  wrist  thing  makes them  ''ASSAULT''  sling shots

at  kings  bay  once  i forgot  my  308 rifle in  my tool  box 
and  saw the dogs  inside  waiting  on their next customer
i  threw my badge under the seat  and played dumb  told them  i forgot  it  and  was late for work
they  were irritated  with my stupidity thinking  they  would let  me  in with out it
and  turned  me  around on the spot
Good thing you did not get caught with it. They do not have a sense humor when it comes to these type of things. There was one time I was out in the field working and security came got me. Turns out they were doing a parking lot search and I had a bag of sugar on the front seat of my car. They made me open my car. They wanted to be sure it was sugar. I know people that lost their jobs there for them finding 1 pot seed. Dale

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2009, 02:48:51 PM »
This ol boy aint bad he did kill a deer with one
http://www.primitivesupply.com/

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2009, 06:15:02 PM »
Used to shoot a Wrist Rocket a lot when I was a kid. I got real good with it.
One time there was a bird up in a pine tree 25 yards away at my friend's house.
I said, "Watch this!" I took it's head clean off! :o I used that Wrist Rocket to
take several rabbits, squirrels, birds, and other assorted varmints. They are
deadly! Way more powerful than those old school type sling shots. We used
to use Pachinko balls and 3/8" ball bearings for ammo. With magnum rubber
and a ball bearing, you bet you could kill a deer if you hit it in the head at
close range. Not my first choice for a small game hunting weapon, but it
will get the job done.

Robert

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2009, 03:24:22 AM »
This ol boy aint bad he did kill a deer with one
http://www.primitivesupply.com/

Better bookmark that web page. We just may have to revert to slingshots and the like by the time Obama and his band of thieves are done with us.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline flintlock

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2009, 06:15:49 AM »
I met Rufus several times, he sold slingshots at the annual arts and crafts show in Asheboro, NC for several years and I bought a few of his slingshots...

He was also on the Johnny Carson show and was quite impressive...He passed away several years ago but his brother still sells slingshots each year at the craft show...

Offline muskeg13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2009, 09:09:09 AM »
Better bookmark that web page. We just may have to revert to slingshots and the like by the time Obama and his band of thieves are done with us.

I just got  wrist rocket, partially for this reason, and partially to have something to take spruce grouse that doesn't make noise and alarm the neighbors.  The one thing I disliked about the new slingshot with its arm support is that it forced me to shoot an a very awkward angle until I reworked it in the bench vise.  For me, the support needs to be offset to the left.

I'm experimenting with lead balls as ammo.  These were originally cast for black powder shooting.