Author Topic: Remington R-15 Owners, what ammo are you shooting?  (Read 2408 times)

Offline Jellyhead

• Trade Count: (0)
Remington R-15 Owners, what ammo are you shooting?
« on: February 01, 2009, 02:14:42 AM »
I just picked up my R-15 yesterday, I am new to the AR platform, I have shot bolt actions in the past.
I am familiar with choosing the right ammo for them, I guess what my question is, Do I stay away from the cheap
ammo for the R-15? and go with the a better quaility brand?

Thanks,

Jellyhead

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Remington R-15 Owners, what ammo are you shooting?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 02:26:13 AM »
When you take that R-15 out to play your going to go thru lots of ammo.They are that much fun to shoot',so the cheap stuff is fine.Most of the cheap ammo is FMJ anyway and can't be used to hunt with.For hunting, if you don't reload, try a couple of different brands to see which shoots best in your rifle.With the 1 in 9 twist R-15,  bullets from 50-60 grn usualy shoot best.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline CannonKrazy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 07:11:28 AM »
Cheap ammo is fine to play with but you will find that many brands with a lacquer coated steel cases dirty the interior of the gun quicker. Wolf and Brown Bear are two of the brands that are known for this.Both shoot great but you will have to clean your gun more often.
Something else to consider is buying zinc or brass plated ammo like Silver Bear or Golden Bear. It's just a few dollars more than the coated ammo but a lot less than brass cased.

Offline Jellyhead

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 09:53:08 AM »
Thanks a lot for your responses, I new I would have to try a bunch out.  I have a bunch on order right now.
I can't find any ammo locally anymore ( I don't see that changing anytime soon)!  I am going to try 55 Gr.
ammo first and see how that does.

Thanks again.

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 01:57:52 AM »
The R-15 is a Remington branded Bushmaster. One of my ARs is a Bushmaster "Shorty". Only ammo I've shot thru mine is in the 55-62 gr range. Silver Bear/Wolf/Handloads. It handles them all well, and puts most inside an inch at 100 yds if I do my part.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 02:23:56 AM »
black hills is the way to go if you dont load your own but how can a guy own a ar and not load for it. My family wouldnt have food if i had to buy all the .223 i shoot.
blue lives matter

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 04:49:05 AM »
Like everyone said, if you just want to throw lead, the cheapest ammo you can find will do that.  If you want to start shooting 1/2" groups or going to longer ranges you'll want to try out the black hills or federal match. 

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 10:36:28 AM »
From what I've heard you should stay away from Wolf, I know most don't but I don't bother with Wolf.  What you really need to do is start reloading.  That is where you will get the cheapest and most accurate ammo by far...  I pumped out 500 rounds of 223 in the last 2 days, only a couple hours per day.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 10:42:59 AM »
+1  Reloading opens all kinds of options for you. You can reload anything you want (hunting loads, armor peircing, tracer, match grade) for what you can buy the cheap stuff for off the shelf.

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 06:24:04 AM »
A lot of R15 owners have reported misfires with Lake City XM193 ammo.  Myself included.   The factory hammer spring is too soft.
I got a new DPMS hammer spring for $1.50 and it fires anything every time at the expense of a slightly heavier trigger.

Offline fedor

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 04:14:46 AM »
I have an r-15 and shoot black hills 60 grain v-max in one hole at one hundred yards on a consistent basis.  Awesome ammo and awesome rifle.