Author Topic: Water Buffalo  (Read 2155 times)

Offline Zeeks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Water Buffalo
« on: February 01, 2009, 02:22:51 AM »
Has anyone shot or eaten a water buffalo?   A exotic ranch here has a couple of them and was wondering, what it was like? And shot placement on them.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: Water Buffalo
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 03:32:40 AM »
No me.  I did plan a hunt at the Brady Ranch in FL but had to cancel.  I un derstand they are OK to eat with lots of meat.  I think Redhawk1 shot one..I'm sure he'll weigh in.  I opted for a plain ol'bison instead and shot placement is shoulder...just use enough gun!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Dustyvance

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 04:01:45 AM »
Never eaten one. My brother-n-law has shot several and even guided a few guys ( not a PH). He recomends ATLEAST a 375 H&H for the thick hide and the natural "will to live" of the animal.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 06:54:58 AM »
I ate some once but it was over 40 years ago.  The preparation was a little on the primitive side and I can't remember much about what it was like other then I wouldn't have put it on a par with aged Angus beef...  ;)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline markc

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 12:20:33 PM »
Zeeks, how does the price of the hunt compare to American Bison?  Have you priced them both?  Just curious.  I'm thinking the bison is a less expensive hunt, but both would be fun hunts to go on.
markc

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 12:55:11 PM »
Hi Mark,

They cost about the same for the really big ones...about 3k.  You can get bison for much less and everyone has a price that different from everyone else.  A yearlung bison  can be had for less than $1500, 1 2yr ols for  less tham 2k, a 3yrs old about $2500 and older and bigger....well...up to about 4-5k.  Waterbuff was about 2k for cows, 3-3500 for bulls.  Calfs....under 1500 i guess.

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Zeeks

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 07:22:13 AM »
 He had a few water buffalo that weight'd 1100 - 1350 for $950 special and he just had a 1900# 16 yr old buffalo for $2300.    The way Dannie talked, that the meat was the best you could eat.  But thats his opinion.   They went really fast so I'm going to keep lookin.
Thanks for all your responses. :)

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 01:58:55 PM »
 Must've been getting rid of them.  Danny quoted me 2k for a cow qnd 3k for a bull.

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 06:02:26 PM »
Went to an outfit ( brother and I) early last year for bison .. We had talked about the water buffalo they had out there before we left for the hunt .. Well after that first mornings hunt and two buff on the ground ( one to archery and one to a DPMS 308) and at the buthcers , We got back to camp and had to burn that day and night to let the buffalo meat set up in the freezers after processing...

So we decided to get with our guides and see if it would be cool to go look around for some of these water buffalos we had talked about ( I too had heard that they are very good eating) ..  So we head out in the direction of a big open flat range of several hundred acres all natural prarie grass with a huge body of water right by this field inside a wood line..
 Well anyway , when we came over the top of a hill and looked over this grand expanse of open prarie , To see this group of massive blot out the sun black monsters standing out in the open was like being transported to africa some where .. They made our buffalo seem small ...

We still have plans to go get some revenge on that lead bull that challenged us that day , We just cant come to a compromise as to who gets to seal that deal ... What can i say we are brothers , We're competitive like that heh  ;D

That said ...  Zeek deffinately take enough gun brother , Having a 2000 + pound animal cousin to one of the nastiest tempered animals on the dark continent charging you is not a situation to take lightly and neither me nor my brother did ... So yeah a good tough bullet in an appropreate caliber is a must in my opinion.

Now i dont know where you or the other boys are looking to go , but for that 2000+ Lead bull ? Would have only ran me or my brother $1500.00

And last but not least , If you are like me and many others that would love to one day take Cape buffalo in Africa .. Then this is as close as we can get on our continent..
     The Old mud boys of Africa are the only game that i have ever had any interest in hunting there , Those water buffalo are i guess, to me.. Kinda like a great practice run till i get there  8)

Hope that helps you a little,

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline markc

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 02:31:55 AM »
default,  where were you hunting that had the water buffalo?
markc

Offline lippygoathead

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 02:00:34 PM »
I have eaten Water Buffalo and the meat itself is just barely O.K. for my taste BUT STAY AWAY FROM ANY AND ALL FAT! :o  I made the mistake of chewing some and I literal spit the bite of food out on the table, missing my plate.  It seemed to entertain my hunting group and I don't believed I have heard the last of that from my "friends". ;D

Offline cam69conv

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 07:15:28 PM »
There are a few kinds of water buff as well...I took an Asian WB (game farm special) I was going to go for a nice Cow Bison but he told me I could take that Bull WB for the same price and that the meat on them were increadible. LIE!!!! Hung it in a fridge for 14 days quartered before butchering and it was STILL the rankest meat I have ever eaten. All cuts were YUCK!!! As far as placement I shot it the same place I shoot all other big game...Dead through the lungs. Ive seen all kinds of animals both huge and little run for a LONG way with their hearts shot compleatly out...But I have NEVER seen anything go very far with both lungs shot out. SHOCK. Id recommend anything 200 grains or more of a premium bullet to make sure of double lung. If you want to save rib meat then right behind the ear works. But thats a little dangerous. Little to the left or right and you have a pissed off bull with a bad migrane  :o not fun id imagine
You want a divorce if I go hunting today??? Well sorry ta see ya go...Was nice knowin ya..Dont let tha door hit ya where tha good lord split ya :D

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 03:37:14 AM »
Water Buffalo meat is not very good, my buddy gave it to his dogs.  I would rather shoot a Bison and eat it...
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA