Author Topic: Questions about Long Range Hunter  (Read 1333 times)

Offline hunter966

• Trade Count: (0)
Questions about Long Range Hunter
« on: February 01, 2009, 09:20:58 AM »
I just bought a Knight Long Range Hunter from a friend and need some help.  The gun is brand new but did not come with an instruction manual or a breach plug wrench but I believe I can get those from Knight.   It came with a bunch of the red plastic jackets and it also came with the orange jackets.  The red jackets fit snug and seem to fit tight against the nipple on the breach plug but the orange ones do not and have play in them when the bolt is closed.  Which ones are supposed to be used.

Also if anyone can tell me what loads do you all use and what kind of accuracy can I hope to get with it. 

This is my second Knight but it has been years since I had my first one (got caught up in the Encore craze).

Thanks
hunter966

Offline gunoil

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Questions about Long Range Hunter
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 01:43:03 PM »
should be the red ones... the orange one is fore the first knight disc that same out.. 1997 most knight LRH should shot under 4inch at 200yards... thansk WORM
WORM

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 06:43:43 PM »
hunter966,

You can get a free and quick instruction Manual right here on Knights website. Click on the 2007-2009 Muzzleloaders at the top.

http://www.knightrifles.com/instructionmanual/default

Here is the PDF for your LRH, they are large files so they will take a bit of time to download.

http://images.ebsco.com/pob/knightrifles/catalog/8_07_complete_web.pdf

Sounds like your friend has accidently included the orange Original DISC Rifle primer holders with your LRH. The Original DISC Rifle had a different bolt and a flat faced breech plug with a flash hole on the face. The LRH should come with both the Red Full Plastic Jacket and the Non-Full Plastic Jacket plugs and bolt here in my pics. The Red Full Plastic Jacket plug should have a huge nipple that the jacket goes over. The bolt should look like the one in my pics.

Welcome back to Knight. 100 to 100 grains Blackhorn 209 with the 250 grain Knight USS PBT/Barnes TMZ (old yellow sabots, not the new blue EZ-Load) are about as good as it gets in my Disc Extreme MHC.

First three groups with that bullet and BH209 in my rifle.

100 grains BH209.

110 grains BH209.

120 grains BH209.

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline hunter966

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 01:56:44 PM »
Thanks Busta,

My gun came with the breach plug on the top left in the top pic and not the one on the bottom right.  I cant believe the groups that you are getting from your gun that is pretty dang good.  How does the BlackHorn 209 compare to 777 pellets, loose 777, and FFF black powder?  Only reason I am asking is because with my TC I had to try just about every kind of powder to get it to shoot decent.

Thanks for the help.

By the way I called Knight and their CS dept. is great, they are sending me a breach plug tool and manual free of charge even though I offered to pay for it.