Author Topic: What do you guys make of this?  (Read 683 times)

Offline Heather

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • mymartialartsplus.com
What do you guys make of this?
« on: February 03, 2009, 09:11:42 AM »
Here is a screen shot of google maps satelite image I discovered by checking out the terrain around the area I live.  Let me know what you make of it.

Strive for complete serenity in all aspects of life.
www.mymartialartsplus.com

A closed mind is often closed to the truth!

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and loose both...Ben Franklin

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: What do you guys make of this?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 09:33:23 AM »
Heather...on face value, a number of things come to mind.  This is in the vicinity of an Army Base - Ft McCellan, Anniston, AL and former home of the Women's Army Corps Center until its "disestablishment" 1977 and BRAC closure of the base in 1999.  So much for the history lesson.

One plane is "blue" and the other is "brown" and both are flying in close proximity.

Anniston Metropolitan airport is not far from the photo and it could be two arriving planes approaching different runways, if Anniston is set up for that.

It could also be a photographic anomaly either an image of the plane and its "cold" shadow; the reverse (i.e. a "hot" image of the shadow); a photographic lens anomaly;

or just WEIRD!

Offline WylieKy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 09:35:15 AM »
I'm guessing you are talking about the plane...??  I would say that of the two images the brown one is the plane and the silver one it the shadow or maybe glare.  If you look at the angle of the shadows of the trees it is about right... As for the color I don't know, unless they have some type of auto-digital touch-up.  Is that what you were referring to?
This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 12:23:58 PM »
I'd vote just some sorta weird photographic anomoly. The brown image hardly looks right for a plane but the other which is more color in color is badly out of focus. My guess only is the satellite was focused at ground level and thus the plane or planes were badly out of focus which the one with apparently color coloration is. What the heck to make of the brown one I dunno.

The fort has been closed for several years but all Google Earth images are several years old as well so it's not impossible it was taken when the post was still open but it has been quite a few years now that it has been closed. I suspect the image is newer than that.

No the Anniston airport is not set up to take two planes at same time on different runways and most certainly not jets. Commercial flights into Anniston ended quite a lot of years ago when the Fort closed as it didn't have enough traffic to stay open once the fort closed. Even then the planes that came in were small prop planes usually with a capacity of less than 20 passengers and I can't recall ever flying on one that was full. Usually coming in 6-8 was a big load and going out ten to twelve.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 12:59:22 PM »
When I saw it I thought of the decoy planes that were painted on the ground or were made to keep the russians busy counting air planes and trying to figure out the type.
I saw the brown plane as the plane and the blue as a faded black shadow of the brown plane.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 02:18:14 PM »
It kind of reminds me of a kids show where they sing one of these things is not like the other. :D Really I have no clue what is going on there. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline briarpatch

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 04:56:33 PM »
Bigfoot? :o

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 06:22:01 PM »
Then too knowing Matt is in the house might be a little photoshop work went on there.  :o

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 10:37:27 PM »
There is no way too tell the amount of separation of the planes.
As too why both appear too be going too the same airport is the question.
Could be that there is/are thousands of feet of separation. The blue plane seems more out of focus compared too the brown plane, indicating separation.
I like these maps and they are fun too look at.
Blessings

TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Heather

• GBO Supporter
    • mymartialartsplus.com
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 03:47:01 AM »
Then too knowing Matt is in the house might be a little photoshop work went on there.  :o

Nope no photoshop here!  Go to google maps and see satelite view, then click on the area around Ft. McClellan.  It is close to where Military Rd. Branches off of Ft. McClellan Rd. 

Heather
Strive for complete serenity in all aspects of life.
www.mymartialartsplus.com

A closed mind is often closed to the truth!

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and loose both...Ben Franklin

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 07:13:50 AM »
The lighter plane appears to be a ghost image of the plane down toward the lower right to me.  Possible some kind of light refraction caused by the atmosphere or the properties of the camera lens itself.  The plane does not look like a military type to me and commercial aircraft would never fly in such close proximity in formation like that. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC