Author Topic: developing a load for my 454.....help ?  (Read 371 times)

Offline irold

• Trade Count: (22)
  • A Real Regular
  • "Live today , for tomorrow may never come"
developing a load for my 454.....help ?
« on: February 05, 2009, 05:00:56 AM »
Gentlemen , I'm presently trying to work a load for my SRH 454.  I'm using a Hornady 240 XTP/MAG with three different powders : 2400 ,  W-296 , and IMR 4227.  I'm striving for around 1650 FPS.  Previously I was using 34.5 of 296 with the 240 XTP , worked OK ....don't think I need all that power for whitetail.  Hence , I'm trying to reduce a little.  I'm using three different manuals : Speer #14 , Hornaady #7 , and a Lyman third edition pistol and revolver book.  My problem is with the 2400 load.  With the Horn manual , it lists 30.8 grains for 1650.......with the Speer manual it lists a 250 grain bullet MAXED out at 26 grains for 1531..(that may be because of Speers bullets being thin walled ).....going by the Lyman manual : they claim to be using a Horn 240 XTP/mag with 29.5 of 2400 (max load) for 1697 FPS.  Seems to be a lot of difference between the manuals. I've used 2400 as the example here , but there are major differences in the other powders as well.  Anyone using the 240 gr. Hornady at moderate loads with these powders ?....Thanks , irold

Offline BIG Dog454

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: developing a load for my 454.....help ?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 06:38:41 AM »
Maybe this will help you.  I have been using the 454 to shoot deer for the last 6 years in a Ruger SRH, started with a 250 gr XTP at 1450fps, The bullet blew up on the deer; so I dropped down to 1250 fps load, still too much fragmentation to suit me.  I now load a 255 gr lead flat point at 1100 fps, and find that it is deadly without fragmenting the bullet, good penetration and usually pass thru on a lung heart shot.  I like to use Herco powder, (it is very accurate combination in my gun) loading 11 gr with a win SR primer. My longest shot has been 65 yards, and at that range, bang drop.

Offline irold

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 07:02:56 AM »
Thanks , Big Dog , with out looking at the manual , sounds like a 45 C load.   I was looking for a little more. According to the Horn manual , your 1450 load was approaching the limit for the 250 XTP.  I believe the 250 XTP was intended for 45C velocities.  Presently I load a 255 gr Keith style cast with Unique for about 1000 or a little more for my 45C loads.  Good food for thought though....Thanks

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 12:06:43 PM »
The 250 XTP is intended to be driven only to normal .45 Colt velocities. It is not intended for use in the Casull and using it at those velocity/pressure levels is not good for you revolver it might crack the forcing cone. Don't push soft bullets that hard.

I'm not gonna give you specific load data here but will say that 2400 is very forgiving of light loads. Unlike the various ball powders W296/H110 specifically it can be loaded below book minimum loads with a fair deal of safety. How much low? Dunno in this case. In the .44 magnum a friend of mine loaded all the way down to .44 special loads in his and nothing bad ever happened. You might want to try it at book minimum check the velocity you get and then drop a grain at a time until you reach the velocity you want assuming you have a chrono and if you don't then you need to get one if you are wanting to do things like this. Otherwise just use a book load and live with it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline irold

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 12:30:43 PM »
Evening Bill

Thats all understood, and appreciated........however my problem is the difference tween the manuals.  As stated the Horn manual states I can get my 1650 using 31 grains of 2400.....and that 1650 is pretty much in the middle of the load chart.  The other manuals show "max" as being 26 or 28 grains....( I'm not looking at the books as I type this).........Can I trust the Hornady manual ?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 01:04:23 PM »
You can trust all the manuals it's merely a matter of what you trust them for. All make mistakes and print errat sheets as a result. You can consult with them to see if there is an errat sheet for yours. Most takes it is NOT load data that is in error but velocities or failing to highlight max loads in red and such.

What you must understand with all reloading manuals is that the data was right for them with their set of components and their test barrel or gun. It may not be the same for you and thus not the same as some other manual either.

Change bullets, powder/primer lots or even brand of brass and it all goes out the window and you gotta start over again.

My policy is to own as many manuals as I can. I then open them all and look at the data for the cartridge and powder/bullet weight I am planning to use. I usually find most are pretty close to each other but there is ALWAYS one that is way high and often one way lower than the average. I toss the high one always and most times ignore the low one if way out of line with the rest. I then use the data that several tell me is right as my average and begin there.

I do have a chrono an Oheler with three screens. When I reach what they say is max velocity I stop even if I've not reached their max load. If I am shooting for a specific velocity range as you are I stop when I reach that assuming I can reach it within the load range of the manuals.

This business of reloading is more art than science to be honest and there are no hard and fast answers and you can't find a source that you can trust to tell you what's happening in your rifle with your lots of bullets, powder, primer and brass. It just ain't gonna happen. It's a journey you are undertaking and the only way you'll know it's over is when you get where you are heading. Ya can't get there without a chrono really. Load recipes are a lot like cooking recipes you have to adjust them to your taste.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline BIG Dog454

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 08:24:49 AM »
Graybeard:  According to Hornady 6th Ed, the 250 gr .45 cal muzzle velocity range is 800-1600 fps; this is what I was basing my reloading at 1450 fps for the 454.  Even so, That was too hot for deer hunting.  It would make (in my estimation) a good groundhog load though.
 The 240 gr XTP mag is listed at 1100 - 2200 fps, but I have never tried that on deer.
 I am working on a new load for my gun with blue dot, that is showing promise as far as accuracy with cast boolits.  With the weather being bad, I have'nt done any real serious work on that load.  But spring is coming, so I've been told.

Offline irold

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 02:03:35 PM »
Hi , Big Dog

I believe its more the thickness of the jacket that concerns Hornady with using the 250 in a 454 casull. The XTP mags have a thicker jacket than the reg XTP or the 250 grainers normally used for the 45C.  From my understanding the thin jackets won't hold up to the pressure , I believe they set it at 65000 ??  Though most seem to hold their loads around the 53 to 55000 mark.  Least thats my take on it. 

Regards......irold

Offline rdh

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 04:21:51 PM »
get some lilgun powder and some hornady 240gr xtp mag bullets. I tried the 296 and didnot like how it performed. I have also had good luck with h110. This is the two loads I use in my srh good luck