Author Topic: Carrierless 209 Breech Plug for Huntsman/Sidekick, Blackhorn 209 Compatable!  (Read 29386 times)

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
Nick and Bob, Thank you!! :D  The plug came in yesterday.  Super fast service.  Thanks also for the "O" rings.  I'm going to send this thread to everyone I know with Sidekicks or Huntsmans.  I hope you do well with them.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline davey

• Trade Count: (0)
good tests - how was the barrel clean-up ?  did you wet/dry patch after each (bullet test) couple shots ? which bullet/powder combo would be less drop and/or best group at (200 yds)?  200 gr.shockwave?
-----2004 sidekick wood/blue----

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
after email contact with Nick, I am sending out a money order in the morning for two 7/8 plugs. I do not plan to shoot bh209, but I am looking forward to good ignition with triple 7 loose. In one of my guns I use the 25 acp, but the factory plug in the other. I have not had any ignition problems with either one, but this plug looks much better in my opinion
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
Got my 209 plug yesterday.  Put a new trigger guard and hammer spring in and cleaned the rifle this morning.  I hope to shoot it this afternoon if the wind stays down.  Filled the bolt hole in the stock with #4 shot and wadded it with a couple of cleaning patches to keep it tight and put the butt pad back on.  Will post a range report after I get to shoot it.  Thanks to everyone here :D

Pete

The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
Im having problems with the camera and the computer.  Anyhow, can't post pics now, but I fired 6 rounds of Winchester 777 209 primers and two 50 gr. Tripple Seven pellets under .50 cal. Hornady Lock 'n Load sabots.  Shot the sabots just to get rid of them.  I normally shoot cast bullets.  ABSOLUTELY NO BLOWBACK!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D  I LOVE IT!!!  It's wet and nasty outside.  When it dries out a bit I'll group it on paper with my cast bullets.

The whole setup works like an extractor.  I don't know if it is the "o" ring or what, but the primer is right there to pull out. I thought that might be a problem, but it's not.  Very quick and easy.

One happy Camper,

Pete

Offline Nick Allen

• Trade Count: (5)
Glad to hear it Pete. Thanks for posting your findings.

Nick :)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
I called Nick today and ordered a 5/8" breechplug and he was great. Thanks for the heads up on this fine and needed improvement to the H&R ML's....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
I tried posting a single pic of two 209 primers shot yesterday to show how clean all of them were.  This site told me the file was too large to download.  I don't understand that, but believe me, they looked unfired.  Busta and Nick, you guys done good :D ;D :D ;D  I just pushed a guy in this direction in the classifieds wanting to buy a .25 plug.  I think this plug has it all over the .25 'cause you don't have to reload brass, and it WORKS.

Pete

Offline john keyes

• A Real Regular
lets hear it for Metrics Unlimited!

I got my two plugs this evening. Excellent service!

I'm so glad  I never got the 25 acp stuff, I was so close.

I still don't understand why H&R/NEF couldn't do this in the first place.
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline lefty41

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
I received my 5/8" plug today. Very quick service from Nick. Thanks Nick, looks good, now to find the time to burn some powder. Busta, your work on this very usuful to the H&R ML group and our thanks to you for all the testing and reports.
Now to find some sights for my Huntsman. Weaver #82 rail is all I have, front sight gone completely and rear sight just has the base. Would like to keep open sights, either firesight; or better yet, a peep sight.
Good up the good, no, great work guys!
Jerry Miller (lefty41)
"In God we trust"

Offline bubba

lefty,

let me look through my stuff.  I  have a set of firesites that came off my sidekick and an older set off my huntsman if I can find them.  They will not go back on my gun so if I can find them, I will let you know and you can have them. 
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline lefty41

• Avid Poster
lefty,

let me look through my stuff.  I  have a set of firesites that came off my sidekick and an older set off my huntsman if I can find them.  They will not go back on my gun so if I can find them, I will let you know and you can have them. 

Thanks Bubba, That would be very helpful.
Jerry Miller (lefty41)
"In God we trust"

Offline jrkrk

• Avid Poster
What size O ring do I need? Where do you buy them? :)

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter

Nick is using a 1/8" I.D. x 1/4" O.D. x 1/16" thick o-ring. I picked up a few of these today and it does look as if they will be the easiest to install/remove. The ones I had were actually too large for easy installation, but It would compress and worked very well.

I have been trying to educate myself on o-rings, I didn't realize how many different types of material these are made out of. There are at least 8 different materials stocked by this vendor. They have different temperature ranges and range in price from $1.88 for 100 to $37.37 for 1. :o Holy smokes, that one must go on the Space Shuttle or to NASA.

In this application, I would expect to replace mine every 25 shots or so. IF those el-cheapo $1.88 for 100 pieces ones hold up that long, that would only add about 2 cents to a blowback free range session. I will be ordering a few different types for experimentation. No matter how you look at it most of these are way cheaper than the leaky old primer carriers. I am also sure that there may be different life expectancies of the different materials when used in their intended application, our application is a torture test of heat/pressure/time, the three ingredients to erosion failure. We will eventually figure out the best material for this purpose, and it may indeed be one of the less expensive shoices, or the 2 cent per piecce ones for that matter.

If anyone knows wht material would be best for this torture we are putting them through, please speak up.

Check these out, you can get more information by clicking on the type you want to check out. It will give you the intended temperature ranges. Of course we are exceeding that, but we can just change it out after it is shot out for just pennies. Also check the quantity. Let me know what you guys think.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/N2DRVSH?PACACHE=000000084731608
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)

Nick is using a 1/8" I.D. x 1/4" O.D. x 1/16" thick o-ring. I picked up a few of these today and it does look as if they will be the easiest to install/remove. The ones I had were actually too large for easy installation, but It would compress and worked very well.

I have been trying to educate myself on o-rings, I didn't realize how many different types of material these are made out of. There are at least 8 different materials stocked by this vendor. They have different temperature ranges and range in price from $1.88 for 100 to $37.37 for 1. :o Holy smokes, that one must go on the Space Shuttle or to NASA.

In this application, I would expect to replace mine every 25 shots or so. IF those el-cheapo $1.88 for 100 pieces ones hold up that long, that would only add about 2 cents to a blowback free range session. I will be ordering a few different types for experimentation. No matter how you look at it most of these are way cheaper than the leaky old primer carriers. I am also sure that there may be different life expectancies of the different materials when used in their intended application, our application is a torture test of heat/pressure/time, the three ingredients to erosion failure. We will eventually figure out the best material for this purpose, and it may indeed be one of the less expensive shoices, or the 2 cent per piecce ones for that matter.

If anyone knows wht material would be best for this torture we are putting them through, please speak up.

Check these out, you can get more information by clicking on the type you want to check out. It will give you the intended temperature ranges. Of course we are exceeding that, but we can just change it out after it is shot out for just pennies. Also check the quantity. Let me know what you guys think.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/N2DRVSH?PACACHE=000000084731608

Maybe a group buy or maybe Nick at Metrics Unlimited can sell them to us (for a profit on their part of course) after the experimentation is complete.

I am somewhat confused on the O Ring. Does it sit at the bottom of the interior of breechplug or around the primer and up against the top of the breechplug opening?

Offline Nick Allen

The o-ring goes in the primer pocket in front of the primer.

I hope that clears things up

Nick

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
That link I posted previously doesn't work, sorry. I did a search on the site for all of the 1/4" O.D. x 1/16" Thick o-rings and it shows all of them, but it won't work as a link. Go here and click on the outside diameter (1/4" .250") and the thickness (1/16" .0625") drop downs and it will give you all the different materials. Click on the picture box for that item and it will give you more information.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/O-rings/O-rings-&-Accessories/Raw-Materials/s0000001926.HTML

Here are the cheap ones.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1797349&PMT4NO=0
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
IIRC Nick told me the O-rings are a #60 and you can get them in the plumbing section at Lowes. I am not sure what material they are made of but for the price they are a great deal....<><....:)

P.S. - I will not be using the one for $37.37....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline john keyes

• A Real Regular
Look for the demand and price of Huntsmans and Sidekicks to go back up.

Busta, I just got my two plugs and havent shot yet, I want to be VERY cautious not to bugger up that hex nut removing a stubborn post-firing plug.  I see a half inch works, any tips for us, I REALLY do NOT want to round one of my new plugs off!

Thanks!
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline Keith Lewis

• A Real Regular
I noticed that the hex is sort of shallow which also concerned me. I think I will find the socket that works the best and grind the front surface flat to eliminate the round edges of the sockets as they are usually made. That would increase the bearing surface on the shallow hex.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
That was a concern I had when I looked at the pictures of them but let it slide after all the great comments about them. Perhaps they can be changed a bit and the hex portion can be made a bit deeper/thicker. Hopefully with the absence of fouling they will unscrew easier and there will be no problems stripping the bearing surface where the socket rests. Mine should be enroute and I will check it out in person soon!!!...<><....:)

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
I shoot Blackhorn 209, never even come close to a stuck plug with that. If you shoot 777, you might want to use a good anti-sieze grease or the teflon tape like I do. The hex is shorter than most, just make sure you have your socket straight and a good purchase before cranking on it.

Kieth is all over it with the ground 1/2" socket idea. Some of the sockets have 1/8" of lead before you get to the flats. If your socket is like that, you may want to get one with less lead or grind it for maximum purchase.

I do know you want a socket with six flats, don't use one with the 12 pointed star pattern. I don't even need a socket wrench with mine and BH209, I just use a 1/2" nut driver.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline jcal73

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Huntin & Jeepin in AL
    • My Jeep
My plug came in last week while I was working in SC. ;D

I would like to say thanks to BUSTA and NICK and all the folks at Metrics Unlimited.

I bought two 10 packs of the #60 Orings at Lowes last night for $1.97 a pack, not to bad.

I was wanting to shoot it today, but we have rain in my part of AL.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
Jeff,

That is the other added bonus of the o-ring, it seals the breech and keeps your powder dry. ;D That rain won't hurt you now! ;D

You guys can take a used primer, paint it orange, red, or another bright color for identification to place in your rifle when not in use. This will keep the breech sealed and keep moisture from contaminating your powder.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
The o-ring goes in the primer pocket in front of the primer.

I hope that clears things up

Nick
Sure does. Thanks Nick

Offline lefty41

• Avid Poster
Jeff,

You guys can take a used primer, paint it orange, red, or another bright color for identification to place in your rifle when not in use. This will keep the breech sealed and keep moisture from contaminating your powder.

Busta, I like that idea. Will do that for sure.
Jerry Miller (lefty41)
"In God we trust"

Offline bubba

Lefty,

I have searched high and low for the sights with no luck.  I may have already given them away. My apologies.  I will keep looking but not holding out hope now

Molon Labe

Offline lefty41

• Avid Poster
Lefty,

I have searched high and low for the sights with no luck.  I may have already given them away. My apologies.  I will keep looking but not holding out hope now

No problem, thanks for looking
Jerry Miller (lefty41)
"In God we trust"

Offline walmpus

I would be willing to get in line for a 7/8" breech plug. The 5/8" looks pretty nice so they know how to make quailty work. Especailly for the price of the 5/8".............thats a deal hard to beat.

Walmpus

Offline whitetailmaniac

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
  • Chris, Texas
I got my 209 plug today. Fine product!!! Fits perfect. Thanks Nick and Busta