Author Topic: Load Testing  (Read 499 times)

Offline Matt3357

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
Load Testing
« on: February 06, 2009, 03:04:42 AM »
Hey guys, I just started reloading a few weeks ago and I have a batch of .223 test loads, with different charges to test using benchmark powder.  But there is an issue that keeps creeping in the back of my mind.  I am headed back to my parents house in central IL next weekend where we have a 100' range set up, so how cold is too cold to test a load for pressure signs?  Well shoot, I just checked the 10 day forecast and as of right now its only going to get a high of 38 degrees.  But I am still curious what temp you would wait for.  I am using LC brass, 55 gr. Sierra Blitzking bullets, and CCI #41 primers.  I loaded up 5 of each started a bout 1 grain above starting in .2 gr increments.  I realized a little while later that I should have just loading 1 or two of each just in case I hit max too soon and have to purchase a bullet puller sooner than I want, but what can you do.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt

"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-Otto von Bismarck

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Load Testing
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 03:32:46 AM »
I wouldn't worry about it really. Just shoot and figure out what's accurate and stick with it. You can then play around and see how it works come heat of summer. Benchmark is a Hodgdon powder righ? Is it in the extreme line?

I've never used it but have been noticing lately it seems to perform well for velocity in several rounds I load for and in reviews I've noticed it seems to come out near the top accuracy wise as well. It is on my list to pick up and give a try for my .17 Remington Fireball and .22-250 both. Might even give it a try in .223 but there are so many that work well for it that I already have loads worked up for it hardly seems worth the effort.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 03:36:17 AM »
 I generally load 5 of each load. I wanna start from a clean cold bore. Shoot two for "fouling" loads allow it to cool and shoot a 3shot group and record results. Its handi if you keep a note book and do at least two rifles at once. (OR keep a "fun gun" 22 or such for the waiting time in-between shoots.) I also don't fiddle with such a minuscule difference in loads for a rifle. At least not to start with. IMHO .2 Gr's is nothing for these first test loads. Go for 1/2Gr and once a good load is found you can go to the .2g increase/decrease in powder charges.

There is no too cold or too warm in working up loads. Ideally you should work them up in the same climate you will ultimately be using them in. The problems arise with some powders when loads are worked up in the cold weather and then shot in the hot summer months. Altitude also plays a role.

Good luck,
 CW

Bil beat me too it by a bit...
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Matt3357

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 03:51:15 AM »
thanks for the replies.  Benchmark is an hogdon powder and it is one of their extreme powders, so it's supposed to be temperature resistant, just thought I get a couple real world opinions though.  The reason I went with .2 gr increments is because it is a .223.  There's only a couple of grains from starting loads to max loads.  I figured I could have a few more than 4 loads to choose from.  Plus they were the first loads I loaded up so I wanted to do more than just a few.  I have around 150 cases cleaned and primed waiting on the test results.  Do you clean between each group?  How do you tell between groups if your barrel is back to cold bore?  I realize it's gonna be pretty chilly and shouldn't take too long but what's a good rule of thumb?  btw I have a .223 bull barrel, forgot to mention that.  I will have my 17hmr out there to shoot at or around my spinner target offhand while I wait. 

Matt

-Otto von Bismarck

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 03:54:14 AM »
Agreed with the last two posts and can only think of one thing that might be detrimental to the testing....When we start to get into that pre-spring warm up, the stiff & gusting winds often come with it.
Might be better to wait till April for the more serious testing.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 04:22:59 AM »
  Yes, I clean allot for this testing. Your trying to even the playing field so to speak. This way all loads start from the same place. You will find that most loads will shoot best from a slightly fouled bore. That is my reasoning for the two shots before firing for group.

Well, too hot is a barrel you cannot hold your hand on. A cold bore is ambient temp or "room" temps.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 09:14:59 AM »
You will find lots of different methods for testing loads. 

With the smaller cases and lighter recoil, I will generally load up 15 rounds with the starting load.  I then load up 10 each of the incremental loads which would normally be .5 to 1.0 grain difference.    For .223, if the starting load was 24.0 grains and the max load was 28.5, I would load up 15 24.0 grain loads, 10 25.0, 10 26.0, 10 27.0, 10 28.0, and 10 28.5.  When I got to the range, I would normally run a clean patch thru the barrel just to start out clean.  I would shoot 5 of the 24.0 grain loads to get my gun on target where I want it.  I would have 6 targets, one for each load, side by side down range at 100 yards. 
I would shoot 5 24.0 grain loads for group.  I would wait a few minutes for barrel to cool, and then would follow with 5 shots of 25.0 grains.  I would wait a few minutes, etc.  After all 6 loads were on target, I would walk down range to my target, and either patch or mark all of the prior shots.  If there are some groups that are just plain not it, I would not bother shooting them again at paper.  I would save them for a plinker for another time.  If there are a couple of promising loads, say 28.0 and 28.5 grains, I would shoot another group of 5 shots at their same respective target.  I would compare group 1 (marked) vs group 2 (unmarked) for size.  If both groups are similar size and one is not a fluke, I then work a little on either side of the load to tweek it a little to see if it gets any better.

There are exceptions to my rule here.  If using less than about 10 grains of powder, I am down into .2 or .3 increment changes instead of .5.  If I am shooting 7mm Mag, 338 Win Mag, -06 or similar loads, I will be the 1.0 grain increments, but I may only shoot 3 shots for group and then add 2 additional shots to confirm group size.  I will only load up 5 rounds of each instead of 10.  The reason I do this is because my experience tells me that after about the 3rd shot, I am not capable of keeping a tight group with these heavy recoiling guns.  After about the third shot my adrenaline is up, heart is racing, and I am beginning to shake.  When I first started, I had many 3 shot groups that doubled or trippled in size just because I added a 4th and 5th shot.  If I wait, do several targets, go down and mark my shots, come back, and do another group of 2 on the targets, I always seemed to do better.

Another thing to be aware of is fatigue.  Many people do not realize how many muscles and how much eye strain and trigger control it takes to shoot groups.  If I take more than 1 or 2 guns to shoot for group, I find myself getting fatigued and the groups opening up.  Or I find myself in a time constraint and I start hurrying because I have to leave at a certain time.   

Lots of things to think about when shooting for group. 

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Matt3357

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 10:05:09 AM »
wow thanks for the awesome replies.  never really thought about some of those things you mentioned steve.  I don't have to worry about leaving at a certain time tho, as it is my house, but I will keep the rest in mind if I ever work up another load with different components.  I am shooting an H&R ultra varmint so I'm not trying to achieve benchrest accuracy but just a good 1" shooter at 100' that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.  Thanks again for the responses

Thanks,
Matt

Matt

-Otto von Bismarck

Offline davem270win

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 10:43:10 AM »
The weather is probably more important as to how it affects you. If you're shivering and uncomfortable, you're not likely to shoot a good group - especially if you're only shooting 3 shots. The smaller calibers can really get blown around in a gusty wind, so you want to pay attention to that as well.

Offline Matt3357

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 04:17:52 AM »
I posted this on three different forums and you guys were by far the nicest and most helpful.  Thanks Graybeard for a great forum!

Thanks,
Matt

Matt

-Otto von Bismarck

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 05:14:08 AM »
Matt

Don't sell that cheap little rifle short , my 22" bull barrel Handi was a 1/2" shooter right out of the box and with some work at the loading bench it will do a tight cloverleaf all day long at 100 yards .

Your bullet choice may make a bigger diffrence in group size than the powder charge for that rifle , some swear by the 45g bullet in a 1 in 12 twist Handi , mine hates them , but loves the 55g V-max , also Benchmark only did so-so while IMR4895 has become my go-to powder .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Val

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 02:51:21 PM »
My .223 is a Howa 1500. I got pretty good results with Benchmark but Varget out performed it.
Hunting and fishing are not matters of life or death. They are much more important than that.