Author Topic: Gun for soon to be wife.  (Read 922 times)

Offline rparsons934

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Gun for soon to be wife.
« on: February 06, 2009, 03:08:02 AM »
I am wondering your oppinions on a new shot gun for my soon to be wife. She is very small about 5'2" and a good 115 pounds. Just curious as to what the great GBO members would reccomend for her. She is a animal lover. So in that sice it would not be for hunting. Just something to take to the range when i am going. That way she is not standing there board out of her mind. I need something with a small kick or recoil. I was thinking about getting her either a .410 or a 26GA. Also do you think it would be worth it to get her a youth model(o and she has never shot a ggun before). I appreciate all opinions thanks.
****The Second Amendment.....You dont know you need it until they come and try to take it away****

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Gun for soon to be wife.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 03:22:53 AM »
Maybe a youth model but really hard to say without fitting her for length of pull. You can just have the stock cut to fit her on a full size gun. I would stick to the shorter barrel lengths tho. If a repeater no more than 26" for sure and even a 24" if ya could find it would do well.

If she will be shooting skeet a nice O/U would be my choice and in 28 gauge as they are a bit easier to hit with than the .410 and not enough difference in recoil to matter. You might want to look at the Remington semiautos in either 28 or 20 gauge or .410 if you just gotta. Recoil is lighter on the gas operated semiautos. It would be easier for her to learn to shoot doubles at skeet with a semi auto or O/U. Pumps are cheaper but for a new shooter are a bit of a hinderance to follow up shots and they are lighter and kick more also.

If you really want her to shoot with you get her a nice gun don't skimp on it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rparsons934

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 03:25:16 AM »
Thank you for your suggestions. I will look into getting her a 28.ga. And as far as getting her a cheapie nothing but the best for my girl. (within in reason lol)
****The Second Amendment.....You dont know you need it until they come and try to take it away****

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 04:13:56 AM »
28ga topper with one of the new pink laminate stocks from gunstockinc.com on it.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline rparsons934

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 04:23:30 AM »
Wow i think you just decided for me. She loves pink lol.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 05:01:27 AM »

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline rparsons934

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 05:12:11 AM »
Thank you markus.
OMG would she ever love that.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 06:19:16 AM »
I agree with the 28 gauge barrel and think the pink laminate would be GREAT for her since she likes pink. I also suggest you keep your eyes open for a .22 LR Versa Pak barrel to go on the same frame for her. I believe she would get a lot more shooting and fun with .22 Shorts in a Versa Pak barrel for general plinking and fun at the range. That would be a great combo for her. Congratlations and best of luck in the future, to both of you....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline rparsons934

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 06:30:45 AM »
thank you fo your input as well. will look into that after the fact. Ill just be happy when she can enjoy the range with me:)

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 06:51:07 AM »
Coming from someone with an ex-wife, I'd get her a cork gun.

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 07:12:38 AM »
"Gun for soon to be wife"
My first thought was, trade now while you still can, the gun will not be near as expensive, it will never argue, and guns never tell you to put the toilet seat down.

But since you insist on both a wife and a gun, I think .22 bolt action first. You can do the blowing up fun targets, etc. without having to deal with the recoil with someone who has never fired a gun before. Adults can be worse than kids on recoil because they remember and hold a grudge...
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 12:33:41 PM »
I'd also look for a .22, that's the best way for her to learn to shoot.
She'll have a ball plinking cans and stuff. If you go with the shotgun
then definitely go 28 gauge since she won't be hunting. The pink stocks sound like a great idea, let her customize it and she'll be that much more into it.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 12:37:28 PM »
I think getting a gun for your almost wife. Pink or other wise .is a Good trade.

Foggy

well someone had to go there
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline RaySendero

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 01:05:29 PM »
28ga topper with one of the new pink laminate stocks from gunstockinc.com on it.

No - Stay away for the 28 Topper!

Got one for my son some years back - I would not pattern to point-of-aim.  The tapper on the barrel to the front bead tilts it up such that it shoots high.  Don't think they have fixed this problem yet!  Was very frustrating for him to have to shoot his 28 topper with a hold under.  I sold it and got him an 870 turkey gun.  Cut the stock off the 870 to fit him and reloaded super light 7/8 oz 12 ga.  He loved it.
    Ray

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 02:11:24 PM »
I have the 28 gauge Topper myself and mine shoots to point of aim and throws a really nice pattern. I'd be willing to bet if you posted a poll you'd find that most of the others here with 28 gauge Toppers all have had good results with theirs. My 28 is my favorite shotgun to shoot.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 05:22:45 PM »
I have a 28 gauge H&R and it shoots great as well. If someone does get a shotgun (or rifle as well) that shoots to high or low, left or right, not to "point of aim", just bend the barrel so it shoots where you want. A simple thing to do, just regulate the center of the pattern to wherever you want it. It has been discussed here before with methods to do it as well, going as far back as oldtimers that would bend thier shotgun barrels in the fork of a tree.....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 03:42:24 AM »
Ray is the 1st guy I can ever remember saying stay away from the 28ga topper. Most guys get one and it becomes their favorite gun. 22 is really a good idea as well. Cheaper to shoot.

Offline Malicious Intent

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 08:44:19 AM »
Yeah for this one I would definaty recommend a Remington 870 youth model in 20GA. Great starter shotty for anyone really just getting started. Shorter stock for people with smaller arms and the 20GA caliber is a light kicking round. I myself started using my 870 20GA at 8 years old and didn't swap it out for a larger guage shotty until I was 18 years old. I used it for trap, turkey hunting and then for deer season I would swap out the vent rib barrel with a smooth bore slug barrel. They are a super reliable and are as accurate as any other shotty you will find. I now currently own the entire shotty line from remington including an 870 slug gun, 11-87, and 1100 slughunter all with the fully rifled barrel and calibered in 12GA. If ur looking for anything smaller you could go with a 28GA or a 410 savage sinle shot.
"Trahit ipse furoris Impetus, et visum est lenti quaesisse nocentum."

"They are borne along by the violence of their rage, and think it is a waste of time to ask who are guilty."

Marcus Anneaus Lucan

Offline rparsons934

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 02:29:07 AM »
Thanks guys. I think ill let her decide between a rifle or a shotgun. She is the one who will be shooting it. i am just happy that she cant complian that i go to the range to much because she will enjoy it. 

Ok so i am getting her a gun for her birthday which is in 2 months. She is excited actually but wont let me buy her it now because i have a friend who wants to get into hunting with me and she said to help him first. (what a great girl)

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 06:05:50 PM »

I love H&R's but I've never been able to shoot the shotguns well. They all shot high, until I got the Deluxe with the vent rib. that is a beautiful gun. Shoots where I point too. The vent rib makes the difference.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff