Author Topic: Changes  (Read 536 times)

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
Changes
« on: February 06, 2009, 09:17:07 AM »
A few years ago I was making as much as $100 per hour as a "technical consultant". Living in a huge house. Great gun collection. Reloading supplies to last a couple hundred years.
Monday I will move into a 100 sq ft pickup camper sitting on concrete blocks at the edge of a swamp. No electricity, phone or internet. Will be using an outhouse. Only three guns left: an old .22 model 60 that needs to be refinished, a 20 gauge NEF and a New Englander .50 cal that no one wanted to buy. Can kill anything that moves in the lower 48.

Not complaining. Made some bad choices and got hit with some bad luck. Just the way it is.

Funny thing is, I have never been happier in my life. I never shot most of the guns. Didn't have time to reload much. Don't, even for a second, miss TV. Don't miss the aggravation and daily bs that came with "civilized life". Will probably miss the internet, and Graybeard, but I will be able to sneak to a computer once a week or so.
Makes me look back on my 52 years of education, business stress, "moving up the ladder", and wonder what the hell I was thinking.

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
Re: Changes
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 09:21:52 AM »
As long as you got your health, humor and sanity, all else is just stuff. I hope you stay well.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 09:41:51 AM »
Monday I will move into a 100 sq ft pickup camper sitting on concrete blocks at the edge of a swamp. No electricity, phone or internet. Will be using an outhouse. Only three guns left: an old .22 model 60 that needs to be refinished, a 20 gauge NEF and a New Englander .50 cal that no one wanted to buy.

Sounds like heaven.  I wish I could convince my wife.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 10:07:43 AM »
I'm management in a service industry. I put up with snotty people on a daily basis, also known as customers. I have high blood pressure and cholesterol problems I have been avoiding. I drive 40 miles to work everyday, my only time for sanity. I have crap that I don't use and am trying to get rid of for that very reason, to simplify.
Unfortunately, I have a wife and 2 young kids that wouldn't go for your lifestyle, but it sounds like a great, peaceful exsistence to me.
God Bless!
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 10:20:05 AM »
I think this economy is forcing alot of people to change the way they live.  Ive thinned out my gun collection a bit myself. Sounds like you have the right atittude for your change. I wish you well, just make sure to stop in from time to time. I for one have always enjoyed your posts. Good luck   Jay
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 11:03:01 AM »
Good luck to you. You have been on top before you can do it again. Remember we are all in this stuff together.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 11:07:01 AM »
I have enjoyed doing business with you Alan.
Now you have the time to do as you please!
Take care and may GOD shine down on you.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 11:26:41 AM »
Good luck to you. You have been on top before you can do it again. Remember we are all in this stuff together.

Thanks for the thought.

Thing is; I been to the Top and think I like the bottom a whole lot better.

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 11:53:18 AM »
One part of me fells bad, the other part feels happy for you. It is what you make of it, and my a good thing in the long run. Anyhow, check in when you sneak to a puter, and best of luck to you Alan.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline ken-wv.

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 06:07:44 PM »
best of luck to you,hope you are at peace with yourself,please keep us updated on things.sounds like a good situation for deep thought and clarity on life.take care.

Offline jlchucker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 02:50:46 AM »
tn-junk, good luck to you.  You've found inner peace, it sounds like.  I wish we all could.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 03:11:34 AM »
We could ALL use a good reality check.  I have stated that I can live with a WHOLE lot less than what I have accumulated.  Do I want to...not really.  Could I though?  Of course.

There is in each of us a fire.  In some it burns brightly.  In others not as brightly.  When I was younger my fire burned very bright and I was aggressive.  Sometime to reckless abandon.  "Why am I still alive after that?", I have asked a time or two in the past. 

Today I just keep that fire "servicable".  Not too hot but not out.  And at times I stoke it up a bit too.

Folks from the Third World with NOTHING come to America and through their own grit make something of themselves...something they could never have where they came from and in comparison they are wealthy beyond their wildest expectations - they are Americans now. 

Some folks break out of the Inner City America, pull themselves out of poverty and ignorance, and using that motivation attain knowledge, comfort, and sometimes wealth and power.  These too are Americans.

Some folks are born with the proverbial "silver spoon" in their mouths.  Born of wealth and power.  Some loose and some win.  These are Americans too .

Life is not about wealth and power though, but about the fire in each of us and how we tend it.  That motivation, that aggressiveness, that tendency to reach for the proverbial "Brass Ring" is what separates each of us.  A motivated man is a determined man. 

A satisfied man is not a complacent man.  That is a distinction for thought.

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 03:23:08 AM »
Alan
youAre a lucky man in alot of ways. I wish my life was that simple
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.