Author Topic: vihtavuori n110 .357  (Read 2168 times)

Offline mattmillerrx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
vihtavuori n110 .357
« on: February 06, 2009, 03:25:29 PM »
I have this powder v-N110 on hand from loading 44 mag.  With my stuck case ( see previous post), I have moved on to .357 mag.  I plan to use this powder for .357 as well.  I am running in to a lot of variation in the load manuals.  My conclusions are that the manuals containing the smaller powder charges use magnum primers and the ones with larger charges use small pistols.  In my search for why the variation exist, I found info that says never use magnum primers with this brand of powder ( in several places, mostly forums, so info is not the most reliable).  I also found info saying small rifle primers worked the best with there powders so go figure.  By the way the vihtavuori list the largest charges of anyone and list small pistol primers.  The load data I originally planned to use is from the lyman 48th which list magnum primers and the load data for cast bullets.  I do plan to use Oregon trail 158 gr LRNFP bullets.

I guess reading the internet got me a little worried about using the magnum primers, but when it comes to this stuff it is worth checking out.  by the way I am using large pistol in 44 mag.  Anyone using this stuff in .357, with cast bullets.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: vihtavuori n110 .357
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 04:43:16 PM »
I load nothing but VV N-110 powder for my 44 mag and my 357 mag. I find this powder easy to meter, clean burning, very accurate shooting, and the standard deviations are minimal.

Instead of getting your information from the internet, you should probably think of buying their reloading book. You can get it from Midsouth. Or, if nothing else, you can obtain a limited reloading book for free from the Lapua web site http://www.lapua.com/index.php?id=850 On the right hand side you can download the limited reloading manual in PDF format.

Dave

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 07:15:17 PM »
For what is worth. My Speer #12 (1995)
Lists N110 with only JHP, TMJ, JSP, and gold dot for 357mag in 158gr
The range runs 13.5 (1102) to 15gr (1253)
In this manual all of the pistol and rifle loading data for N110, this seems to have the highest mzl vel. -gary
"In God We Trust - Everyone else keep you hands where I can see them!"

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 01:45:32 AM »
My VV Reloading Guide #3 lists N110 with a 124 gn cast swc, a 148 gn cast swc and a 160 gn cast swc.  No mention is made of magnum or standard primers but the use of pistol or revolver primers rather than rifle primers is recommended.  Rifle primers may well spike your pressures and cause inconsistent burning, which would also affect your accuracy.

This powder seems to run in about the same range as Winchesters 296 and Winchester recommends magnum primers and a heavy crimp.  I do the same with VV N110 powders, and I would follow what Davemuzz advises - get yourself a VV loading manual - it resolves the guess work.  Mikey.

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 08:18:28 AM »
I guess I must have not been clear.  The vihtavuori manual has the highest charges listed of anyone.  There starting load is above the max load in my lyman book.  I will leave the other books out for now so no more confusion.  The lyman book list magnum primers for there loads and the vihtavuori book list standard primers for there loads.  My guess is the people reporting pressure spikes are using magnum primers on standard primer loads.  I am making no attempt at getting info from the internet other than trying to find why there is such a variation between loads.  I figure even with the books in hand better safe than sorry.  The internet is just one more information source, I am not using loads off forums at least, occasionally off of some of the powder manufactures websites.  I appreciate you guys concern, but this is why I am posting to see if anyone is having problems with magnum primers before I use them.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 06:03:26 PM »
Well, I will tell you that I subscribe to Handloader magizine. From the articles I've read concerning reloading with Vihtavuori powders, they have always recommend that you never use magnum primers.

In the 4 years that I've loaded my 44 magnum, and the 2 years that I've loaded my 357 magnum with N-110, I have never used magnum primers and I have always had consistent ignition and consistent velocity.

Now, concerning the loads listed in the Vihtavouri load book as compared to others (and I will use my Hornady book as an example) I have found the same issue. The maximum load listed in the Hornady book for some bullet weights are the starting minimum load amounts from the Vihtavouri book.

All I can tell you is that I have "started" with the Vihtavouri book minimum loads, and then worked up from there, looking for pressure signs. However, once my 200 grain bullets get around 1500fps from my 6" Smith revolver, I'm pretty much happy with that. That will kill a whitetail at 100 yards.

Dave

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 03:49:00 AM »
VV book isn't printed in the USA they will use higher standards than a limp wristed lawyer proof americian book so use caution in the firearm you shoot there data in.  Otherwise it is probably closer to real .357mag specs as it was originally designed.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 06:29:18 AM »
Now that makes some cents.  I am surprised to see Hornady and Lyman listing magnum primers with there loads, however they are lighter loads.  I think I will try small pistol primers and see where it gets me.  I think I will start with my speer manuals loads and work my way up.  I actually just read a little note in my speer manual saying not to use magnum primers with N110 or 2400 with there loads.  I may go to a jacketed bullet and save my Oregon trail bullets for 38 special.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 06:37:15 AM »
VV book isn't printed in the USA they will use higher standards than a limp wristed lawyer proof americian book so use caution in the firearm you shoot there data in.  Otherwise it is probably closer to real .357mag specs as it was originally designed.

Oh now come on!!! You really think that lawyers have some involvement in listing load data?  ??? Why....I find that hard to believe.  :o  Now you'll have to excuse me....I have to call my attorney as some guy just sold me some land off the internet....and you'll never believe it....but it turns out to be a swamp!!!!  And his web site said he was honest! Who would have thought?

Dave