Author Topic: "light load" questions  (Read 659 times)

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
"light load" questions
« on: February 08, 2009, 01:18:40 PM »
ok, i'm trying to work up some very light loads for my wife's use. what i am going for is a low recoil / very little muzzle jump or flash and as quiet of a report as possible, to keep her from getting gun shy. i'm working on loads in .38 spl.

now, i took apart a few factory loads, ones that she is just shy of being comfortable with. the bullet weighted 129.7 grains with 4 grains of powder. winchester brass and primers. .. these are my benchmark rounds, i have to get 'lighter' then these.

i have 4227, titegroup and hp38, all these powders call for 3.7 to 4.1  ( thereabouts )  grains for 130 grain bullets.

now for the question:  will the forementioned powders give lighter recoil, report and muzzle jump than the winchester factory powder ? or is 4 grains  going to be about the same regardless , in these specific powders ?
 is there a powder more condusive to lighter loads ?

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
Re: "light load" questions
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 01:34:08 PM »
 For most light loads you use a relatively fast powder. I don't have data in front of me but titegroup should be in that catagory. I'd stick with listed data no matter what you do. Bullseye also should be a good choice.
NRA, Veteran

Offline 41 mag

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
    • My Pictures
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 02:35:47 PM »
Here is a link with a lot of data you can sort it any way you see fit for powder or bullet weights.
http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=38%20Special&Weight=All&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=

I would look at load running just under 1000fps for you purpose. I would also look into trying out some of the bulk Remington or Winchester 110 & 125 gr bullets for target and plinking. THey useually sell for pretty cheap per hundred, compared to other brands. The Hornady and Sierra are also both good bullets as well if you would rather use them.

I loaded up the Remingtons for my wife and daughter in the 125 gr Remington, and they had a ball with them. I used a light load of AA#5. It wasn't long till they both were running full power 357 loads.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 07:12:13 PM »
Go with lightweight lead bullets for really light loads. I think they sell 125 grainers to the cowboy shooters. I would start with the lightest load in the manual with the fastest powder you have, and then work down from there. Decrease powder till you are happy, but don't go too far, because you will eventually stick a bullet if you go too low, and that ain't no fun.

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 01:53:31 AM »
Ok, so my 130 grain bullets are a  bit to heavy. i can get something lighter.

is 4 grains of powder the least i can use ? i dont see spec's for less ( lets say 2 grains ) but has anyone used less then 4 gr. ?

Offline jgalar

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 03:03:01 AM »
Try some lead wadcutters or lighter lead bullets with Trail Boss. Starting loads are around 600fps.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 05:02:12 AM »
From Lyman#48
Page 333   4" barrel   Fed Cases CCI 500

125gr Hdy HP

Starting load  Clays   3.2 gr      719 fps
     " "      "   Bullseye 3.2 gr      568 fps
     " "            700X   2.8 gr      473 fps       You might just be able to see the bullet fly out the barrel with that one ;D
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 06:32:25 AM »
those loads sound like just the thing,  ;) not sure how i overlooked that 700X load at 743 fps..
thanks.. i think i know what direction to work in now
glenn

Offline bunsen

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 09:45:43 AM »
  I have been using 130 Magnus lswc bullets with titegroup with great results. Even better with clays. Very light recoil, accurate too.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 11:22:46 AM »
Try some lead wadcutters or lighter lead bullets with Trail Boss. Starting loads are around 600fps.

Glenn

I have to agree that Trail Boss would be a very good powder to use for what your wanting to do BUT be warned that you can get too light of a load even with cast bullets were you end up with a bullet about 1/2 down the barrel .

There are a couple things you can do to help with this problem , one is to switch to a heavier pistol in 38 spl , this will help tame the recoil or start her using a 22 handgun till she is more comfortable with the report & recoil .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 12:09:47 PM »
Stimpy,
 yes she is going to use a .22 for her trainer. she needs to learn some gun safety, terminology and how to get comfortable with guns. she has a charter arms 38 spl detective special and a taurus 606 357 mag. the taurus is quite heavy ( i used it for CC but it was weighty ) now its going to be her target gun when she gets up to that level.
 thanks for the idea about TrailBoss too

Offline surveyor47

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 03:37:36 AM »
I have found the following load to be extremely accurate and light in recoil in both my 38 Special guns and 357 Magnum guns:

38 Special Cases
158 grain lead semi-wadcutter- 0.358 diameter preferred
3.0 grains of Bullseye
Winchester Small Pistol Standard Primer (WSP)
Reference Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th Edition.

This load should show you just how accurate you and your gun are or are not.